Which loo

carl1963

Featured Posts

I was doing it the same way everybody does it. On a number of occasions I have also helped neighbours take their boats over to the pump out.

Saying that pump outs don't smell when you empty them is pure myth - they stink. At least emptying a casette is over quickly.

Anyway, its whatever one is most comfortable with. I've had both and I know which I'd rather have.

Think you have a dodgy pump out machine. Have never smelt ours whilst getting it pumped out or anyone elses.

Think you have a dodgy pump out machine. Have never smelt ours whilst getting it pumped out or anyone elses.

You must have been very lucky or perhaps suffer an olfactory impairment

Our cassette never smells. I have seldom encountered a pump out loo or machine that didn't whiff.

You must have been very lucky or perhaps suffer an olfactory impairment

Our cassette never smells. I have seldom encountered a pump out loo or machine that didn't whiff.

My nose is usually very good. The pump out just doesnt smell (unlike the sewerage works in Saxilby :lol: )

Don't know how you were doing your pump out but you shouldn't really get any smells! Emptying a cassette on the other hand is usually gut-wrenching!

Perhaps a pump-out should not produce smells.

Perhaps the occasional one even actually manages not to, but I'd argue it's rare.

Trust me that virtually every one I have had the misfortune to be near smells pretty repulsive.

Our marina only allows prepping of boats for painting by the pump-out area - that is a gut-wrenching experience (invariably).

Or try using the launderette at Braunton Marina, where the PO equipment is co-located. Also thoroughly unpleasant - enough to persuade us to find space to squeeze in a washing machine.

Most pump-out owners are deluding themselves if they believe their choice of loo is not having an unpleasant effect on others. They may not smell when in use - although when we were looking at used boats, it was often apparent as you stepped on board that they were pump-out. Almost all do smell when emptied, (based on quite a lot of experience of being near this).

I'm not arguing that emptying a cassette is a great experience - it is not. However the difficulties stem more from the highly variable equipping and cleanliness of the emptying facilities, rather than cassette content. One learns after a while where the "good" facilities, and where the "disgusting" ones are, and sometimes delays an emptying to somewhere where you know it will be easier to deal with. (There is what is supposed to be a showpiece facilty here, just around the "Mailbox" turn in Birmingham - it was designed by a moron, and is one of the worst).

We've had the ominous pleasure of emptying built-in Thetford snazzy cassette loos, simple PortaPotti cassette-type loos and pumpout tanks on boats in the past.

We've found the pump out far more pleasant to do than the others, no smells at all, no straining your shoulder (because a glorified bucket of sh*t is bloomin heavy) and often with pumpout someone else is doing it for you! And you don't need to expose the kack to the air near your nose in order to to empty the pumpout tank, unlike emptying cassette type tanks. But you do get to gross yourself out by watching it pass through the hose through the little window, which is an added bonus.

So pumpout wins on every level for us. :lol:

Edited by BlueStringPudding

I was doing it the same way everybody does it. On a number of occasions I have also helped neighbours take their boats over to the pump out.

Saying that pump outs don't smell when you empty them is pure myth - they stink. At least emptying a casette is over quickly.

I've used a few machines and helped and seen others do pump out's and they don't stink, the ones people here that have stinky pumpouts must have dodgy machines? I use a macerator loo are dump through loos any different in emptying? all I do is connect up and switch on.

Can someone tell me how not to get a cassette loo to smell bad when emptying then, what chemicals do you use if any? I'm currently using a portaloo whilst I refit the boat out so would like to know how I can avoid the gut-wrenching smells when emptying it!

I can see the benefit in both systems but for me as a live-aboard/wide beam a macerator loo and remote tank is the non-smelliest I've come across in both use and emptying. Just don't use the flexible san hoses is the key I hear as these degrade over time causing a musty smell if they've had effluent left to stand in them.

Edited by Robbo

I've used a few machines and helped and seen others do pump out's and they don't stink. If you think about it to get the effluent out you need a good seal around the pumpout connectors. I use a macerator loo are dump through loos any different in emptying, all I do is connect up and switch on.

Hmm. It is interesting that the people who pay out a lot of money to fit and service pump-out loos can't smell them.

Looks like they are in denial, having shelled out all that money. I know that if I'd spent it, I wouldn't want to admit that it stinks.

Hmm. It is interesting that the people who pay out a lot of money to fit and service pump-out loos can't smell them.

Looks like they are in denial, having shelled out all that money. I know that if I'd spent it, I wouldn't want to admit that it stinks.

We shelled out b*gger all for our pumpout loo - in fact our boat came with two originally and the boat was a bargain! So we've no need for denial. You're welcome aboard any time to sniff my toilet, mate.

Now there's an offer you don't get every day.

I've used a few machines and helped and seen others do pump out's and they don't stink, the ones people here that have stinky pumpouts must have dodgy machines?

I have always assumed, (but don't know for certain), that the smell of pumping out comes from the "downstream" of the pump itself.

Any problems with loose fitting connectors might cause a lack of suction, but shouldn't force smells out, I'd have thought, (more likely to suck air in).

But because stuff is being sucked, it seems there is some kind of venting after the pump, such that foul air gets expelled.

For my sins, as a student holiday job, I once worked on cesspit emptying lorries. Although some cesspits smelled pretty bad when first opened, by far the stinkiest part of the operation was the "air" expelled at the lorry end, as the tank there was being filled, and foul air needed to vent out.

It's possible, I suppose, that our marina has arrangements far worse than most, but I have experienced exactly the same problem when forced to moor near to pump-outs elsewhere. (Braunston was appalling).

Didn't pay anything for the loo / tank, came with the boat. Only thing I'm doing is refiting the boat and moving the bed (and tank under) to a more central position. The flexible hose that connected the loo and tank smelt musty (although it did sag in places). If you've been on other boats with a remote tank and can smell it then this will be the cause. Tell them to replace this hose with solvent waste pipe as recommended by a few here on CW.

We shelled out b*gger all for our pumpout loo - in fact our boat came with two originally and the boat was a bargain! So we've no need for denial. You're welcome aboard any time to sniff my toilet, mate.

Now there's an offer you don't get every day.

And the pumpouts come free?

Sometimes, yes.

And the amount of poopydoop our tank holds, even at £10-£15 a pumpout once every 6-8 weeks, it's a bargain.

I am happy to put that value on the price of my sh*t.

So, you are probably paying about £100 a year to have your crap removed.

If I was paying out that much every year, I too would be in denial about the smell.

If I was paying out that much every year, I too would be in denial about the smell.

Lay back on the couch Mr Mayall.... So, you are in denial...

Richard

Lay back on the couch Mr Mayall.... So, you are in denial...

Richard

Why would I be?

I have a system that in the 5 years that it has been fitted has cost me £1 to empty, rather than the £500 that somebody with a pumpout would be down by now.

I've used a few machines and helped and seen others do pump out's and they don't stink, the ones people here that have stinky pumpouts must have dodgy machines?

I've used a few too and they all stank.

Shit stinks whether it's poured or pumped and people whi say it doesn't are shit-stink deniers. :lol:

Edited by blackrose

I'm paying £60 - £130 and like I said, that's a good price for wholesome Clanger poo.

Why would I be?

I have a system that in the 5 years that it has been fitted has cost me £1 to empty, rather than the £500 that somebody with a pumpout would be down by now.

Judging by how wound up you seem to be about yours and other people's shite, perhaps you're not "going" enough. :lol:

califig_syrup_of_figs_30459.jpg

Edited by BlueStringPudding