Anchors away.

Greybeard

Featured Posts

Agreed.

The trouble is that this is all highly nebulous. You need a warp/chain combination that is long enough to do the job but not so long you are on a weir before reaching the bitter end (yes, I remember). You need it to protect you from the dangers that you face, but I'm not sure what these are. You need something practical that you can actually use on a boat. You need it to be suitable for the rivers you are boating on but there's no information on their depth.

Sigh

Richard

There is no need to let out ALL the chain/warp you have, and it is, IMHO, better to have too much than too little. If an anchor is deployed, with a turn on bits or "T" stud, to keep it under control, the stop is a lot more controlled than dumping everything overboard, which can result in no effect, as the chain tangles in the anchor, and prevents it getting a grip; an almighty bang as the anchor bites and rips out whatever connects the bitter end to the boat; or a capsize if the shock load comes on sideways.

Iain

Well if you must anchor by the stern have one like this push tug..!

res1.jpg

Of course the more observant amongst you will notice that they have two anchors on the back of that tug.

Anchors should normally be used as a last resort, and I don't think in the 36 years of boating my Dad has had to launch an anchor in anger. Boating normally happens slowly enough to have lots of choices before having to deploy an anchor.

When deploying your anchor I understand it is better to let it run out slowly rather than just throwing it overboard and hoping your dolly or T-Stud is strong enough! Most bollards on a boat are strong enough to hold the boat in the stream, but may not take the shock of a sudden stop.

On rivers with plenty of room you are probably nearly always better off anchoring from the front so that you can recover the anchor without getting the rope around the prop. You often have to run over the anchor and pull it out the way it went in.

Having a mud weight is probably more use for small boats, something like a 56lb scale weight, which can be easily deployed over the stern, pulled up easily, and also dragged to give control when drifting with the tide. Depending on the bottom it may take longer to stop the boat than a anchor especially on a stony bottom where it may not stop you at all.

Mike

Of course the more observant amongst you will notice that they have two anchors on the back of that tug.

Anchors should normally be used as a last resort, and I don't think in the 36 years of boating my Dad has had to launch an anchor in anger. Boating normally happens slowly enough to have lots of choices before having to deploy an anchor.

When deploying your anchor I understand it is better to let it run out slowly rather than just throwing it overboard and hoping your dolly or T-Stud is strong enough! Most bollards on a boat are strong enough to hold the boat in the stream, but may not take the shock of a sudden stop.

On rivers with plenty of room you are probably nearly always better off anchoring from the front so that you can recover the anchor without getting the rope around the prop. You often have to run over the anchor and pull it out the way it went in.

Having a mud weight is probably more use for small boats, something like a 56lb scale weight, which can be easily deployed over the stern, pulled up easily, and also dragged to give control when drifting with the tide. Depending on the bottom it may take longer to stop the boat than a anchor especially on a stony bottom where it may not stop you at all.

Mike

You're mixing up anchor uses, though.

The tug's anchors are not emergency equipment but day to day tools that certainly aren't used as "last resorts".

When using the anchor for mooring (again, something I do all the time but rarely, if ever, would this be done on a canal) the usual place for a main hook is at the front, though I usually deploy a kedge, at the stern, which is often deployed and recovered using the tender.

On a narrowboat the anchor is a last resort, emergency item and, if it has reached that point, I want that piece of equipment to hand and recovering it is way down the list of priorities.

Hark, is that Phylis off to the chandlery?

Nope. We have a depth sounder and we know how much chain we have so anchoring isnt an issue. In fact i quite like finding a quiet spot and anchoring up for breakfast or lunch. (Not advisable on a canal though)