Sutton stop to Atherstone worth visiting?

Teakbank12

Featured Posts

Hi all we're off on our repeat trip of last year from Stockton top marina to the Ashby canal during August.

I've often wondered about a short diversion up to Atherstone before turning up the Ashby.

Is the few miles worth the trip towards Atherstone? we would plan to turn by the Atherstone top lock where it states theres a winding hole (hopefully ok for a 58 footer).

I realise we would be passing through a fairly built up area so are there any decent mooring stops along this part?

Do i leave this diversion for the winter when its quieter & the kids are at school?

We love the Ashby & love to always moor in the middle of nowhere if possible which is why i'm thinking wether its worth the diversion towards Atherstone...

Any thoughts please??

Edited to say i meant Marston junction up to the Atherstone area

Edited by Teakbank12

I'd say so, yes. Some fantastic countryside, and great views of the results of the quarrying that was done along the route.

And you get to arrange to have a Banter with 'Cheshire~Rose' whose stomping ground that is!

I'd say so, yes. Some fantastic countryside, and great views of the results of the quarrying that was done along the route.

And you get to arrange to have a Banter with 'Cheshire~Rose' whose stomping ground that is!

It all depends on traffic during August, our teen daughter whose first trip this is & how leisurely a cruise we all want.

Just done the virtual trip on mihalis all the way to Fazeley, it appears to be a day up to Fazely then back with some good scenery on the route.

We are just concerned about mooring areas, we prefer countryside not towns (thinking of it being school hols).

This will give daughter some more experience of locks other than Calcutt & Hillmorton.

We have a fortnight from 7th to 21st August so plenty of time :lol:

Most grateful for any further comments as it leaves our options wide open

If we do this route is it worth the trip all the way to Fazeley or do we wind beforehand as i believe thats a busy junction.

I seem to remember doing some of this route way back in 2002 (i think).

You're generally OK for mooring. Plenty of piled bits and a decent, if generally busy, Visitor Mooring in Atherstone itself. Decent shopping and pubs there, too.

If you can make the time, I'd suggest going on up to Fradley Junction as it is a wonderful area.

Just shut your eyes as you go through Nuneaton, a worthy but uninspiring town. Decent overnight moorings at Springwood Haven marina and by the fascinating old BW depot at Hartshill. Yes, big winding hole at Atherstone (near which there is one of the few surviving canalside coal wharves) but the flight itself is picturesque and quite easy so why not carry on down it?

Nuneaton's not that bad! :lol:

As you leave Nuneaton, though, if you go on tip-toes you should be able to see the remains of the quarries.

Have just Google Earthed those quarries, they look pretty big/deep!!

Nuneaton do i need to expect yoofs behaving badly?

Have just Google Earthed those quarries, they look pretty big/deep!!

Nuneaton do i need to expect yoofs behaving badly?

We have been through several times and this has never been a problem.

Richard

Nuneaton's not that bad! :lol:

As you leave Nuneaton, though, if you go on tip-toes you should be able to see the remains of the quarries.

Stopped in Nuneaton last year to try to find a decent pub, not a mistake we will make again!

The quarries are gradually being filled in.

Tim

Stopped in Nuneaton last year to try to find a decent pub, not a mistake we will make again!

The quarries are gradually being filled in.

Tim

Yes I would not bother stopping in Nuneaton, but the quarries still worth a look although they are being filled in a bit. The allotments in Nuneaton are very good indeed and the general area has improved over the last few years.

Hartshill area very good and scenic plus good shopping in Atherstone.

The flight at Atherstone is slow filling but not difficult and still worth going through if you get the time.

You're generally OK for mooring. Plenty of piled bits and a decent, if generally busy, Visitor Mooring in Atherstone itself. Decent shopping and pubs there, too.

If you can make the time, I'd suggest going on up to Fradley Junction as it is a wonderful area.

After several attempts I have to say that I have yet to find a "decent pub" in Atherstone. Recommendations please! btw - a "decent pub" would have to sell "decent beer" for starters.

Jim

After several attempts I have to say that I have yet to find a "decent pub" in Atherstone. Recommendations please! btw - a "decent pub" would have to sell "decent beer" for starters.

Jim

The pub in the Market Square (The Market Tavern) is excellent - it is the brewery tap for the Warwickshire Brewery.

The hotel on the crossroads does good bar food (Well it did when I was last there)

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Jim

The Red Lion is pretty good, with some rather nice beers. Food is a bit on the steep side, but tastes fantastic. They also have free WiFi. Good shopping in the area, too, with three supermarkets, a good butcher and a good farm shop.

It all depends on traffic during August, our teen daughter whose first trip this is & how leisurely a cruise we all want.

Just done the virtual trip on mihalis all the way to Fazeley, it appears to be a day up to Fazely then back with some good scenery on the route.

Having just done the trip you are talking about last weekend, I would recommend going to Fazeley - and especially turning at the junction, otherwise you will miss this great aqueduct:

Victoria_RiverTameAq.jpg

There are lots of places you can stop in the country along the way, and some reasonable pubs as well.

Cheers,

Mike

ps. We did Norton Junction to the last two Atherstone locks in one day, and we stopped for dinner in the pub!

It's well worth a detour, the scenery around Hartshill/Mancetter is excellent, Nuneaton's not so bad and the natives are mostly friendly. There's a nice quiet mooring just before the winding hole after Hartshill BW yard that has views of the wooded hill on the one side and the valley on the other.

The pub in the Market Square (The Market Tavern) is excellent - it is the brewery tap for the Warwickshire Brewery.

The hotel on the crossroads does good bar food (Well it did when I was last there)

Tim

Humm....On my last visit the Market Tavern was selling four or five admittedly local but not particularly good beers that all tasted the same. When I complained about a dirty glass they blamed it on the dishwasher and said there was nothing they could do about it! I'll agree though that with better beer and a better attitude to customers it could be a good pub.

If by the "hotel on the crossroads" you mean the same place as I think you do then I'd agree its probably the nearest Atherstone comes to a decent pub - but its still a hotel bar rather than a boozer.

Still, I have nothing against Atherstone as a place so I'll keep trying.....

The country between Nuneaton and Atherstone is very nice indeed. There are some very pleasant places to stop on the way. The canal through Nuneaton can be shallow in places and not very inspiring you can also pick up a fair amount of rubbish round the prop if you are unlucky.

Get a meat pie from the farm shop - and me a vegetarian 'n all

The pie & veg farm shop in Atherstone is called "19gales" and the pies are superb - the steak pies are full of large chunks of tender meat.

To find it go down to the high street and turn right. You will find it on the right hand side near a small supermarket.

There are good butchers in the town,which is pleasant enough, and as others have said the countryside from there to Hartshill is very attractive.