Russel Newbery DM2

riverwolf

Featured Posts

Hi All,Can someone please tell what is the price of a new DM2?

Not exactly, but unless my memory is completely playing tricks, I got the impression at the Braunston show that with a gear box one would leave you little change from £20K.

I can't quite believe that, as I type it, but I'm fairly sure the number displayed started as £19,xxx. :lol:

:lol: Much as i feared! The reason behind the question is that we are seriously thinking of having a shell built to our spec as finding what we would like at the right price is proving tricky! I was rather keen on putting a Beta JD3 Classic tug engine into it,but having been advised that this particular engine might not prove such a good investment,i am wondering what other similar engines there are out there?So Your thoughts on what to put in a 48' tug style,with enough go for river work!Thanks,Mike.

:lol: Much as i feared! The reason behind the question is that we are seriously thinking of having a shell built to our spec as finding what we would like at the right price is proving tricky! I was rather keen on putting a Beta JD3 Classic tug engine into it,but having been advised that this particular engine might not prove such a good investment,i am wondering what other similar engines there are out there?So Your thoughts on what to put in a 48' tug style,with enough go for river work!Thanks,Mike.

Hi,

I have 48ft 'tug' style with a Gardner 2LW, boat was used on River Trent before I bought it and I have used it on the Thames against a strong flood and it goes well. It is both economical and reliable and esy to service and start.

Leo.

There is not much wrong with the Beta JD3 it will have more than enough power for the boat size you mention river or no but it certainly doesn't have the same kudos as a RN DM2 but then again it will cost you less than half as much too!.

Edited by churchward

A DM3 is the only engine to have or perhaps a Petter PD2 :lol:

I think here you have to weigh up how much space one is going to devote to the engine room, with only 48ft overall lenght, The size of the engine has to be given consideration, the RN DM2's are nice units, but what a price!. The 2LW is a good compromise but you won't get the slow tickover one gets with an RN DM2, (unless you want to 'knacker' the 2LW, which delivering 28HP, is enough for the boat lenght).

Really it boils down to personal preference and depth of pockets.

Leo.

A two-pot DM2 is around £16,000 but, as stated above, the gearbox comes extra.

I have a Gardner 2LW in my 45-foot tug. It does not occupy excessive space - the engine room is 5 feet long which is sufficient. I then saves a couple of feet length by convincing Mrs. Athy that a crossways bed was A Good Thing. I bought the engine from Walsh's Engineering in Manchester who had reaptriated it (from a South African narrow-gauge railway loco) and rebuilt it. The cost in 2005/ 2006 was a quite competitive £11,000 including gearbox (the last "real" new 2LWs from the late '90s had cost about 16 grand). Give them a try.

Just one caveat: when new it's a PIG to start in really cold weather - I'm told that this is because the innards are still tight and not properly run-in. Invest £92 in a Clarke 4000 battery booster from Machine Mart, it wors wonders.

Edited by Athy

That's a strange comparison. A bit like chalk and cheese.

It is indeed a strange comparison. People can get very sniffy about PD2s but they can be obtained very cheaply and I ran one for years in Alton without trouble. I needed an engine that started every day, winter and summer, and did the job. I passed many a boat with more glamourous engines, especially in winter, with the owners head stuck firmly down over the engine trying to start it:-). Come to think of it, that is probably why BW fitted them in the first place.

George ex nb Alton retired

It is indeed a strange comparison. People can get very sniffy about PD2s but they can be obtained very cheaply and I ran one for years in Alton without trouble. I needed an engine that started every day, winter and summer, and did the job. I passed many a boat with more glamourous engines, especially in winter, with the owners head stuck firmly down over the engine trying to start it:-). Come to think of it, that is probably why BW fitted them in the first place.

Hi George

You've hit the nail on the head. The PD2 is a lovely reliable engine - and a simple bit of machinery, manufactured to a very high quality.

The DM2, and the National equivalents, are only worth the money for people who like to spend their time doing daily maintenance and

lubricating bits by hand which are done automatically with other engines .......... (ducks under the parapet) ................

Hi George

You've hit the nail on the head. The PD2 is a lovely reliable engine - and a simple bit of machinery, manufactured to a very high quality.

The DM2, and the National equivalents, are only worth the money for people who like to spend their time doing daily maintenance and

lubricating bits by hand which are done automatically with other engines .......... (ducks under the parapet) ................

Just placed you, Phil. 21st March 2005, bag of pureheat plus diesel. Never forget a sale:-)

Just placed you, Phil. 21st March 2005, bag of pureheat plus diesel. Never forget a sale:-)

By heck George, retirement doesn't mean memory loss in your case !!

40 years ago I bought a Petter (I'm pretty sure it was a PH2). I always regret not finding a suitable

boat to put it in.

Are you still up on the PFC?

Phil

That's a strange comparison. A bit like chalk and cheese.

He's only saying it because we've now got one of each (see H&H thread) albeit the PD2 is seized but I'd very much want to keep it or another PD2 so it's good to hear they're still out there.

No, it doesn't have that facility - not that I would relish such a task. My Gardner's manual for the engine states that hand-cranking an LW "would be quite an achievement", which I guess means that Desperate Dan or Geoff Capes might just about manage it!

No, it doesn't have that facility - not that I would relish such a task. My Gardner's manual for the engine states that hand-cranking an LW "would be quite an achievement",

I've never seen that relating to the LW, certainly the smaller ones. Not sure whether I've actually hand-started an LW in a boat, but have done many times with 2L2 and 3L2 which are essentially the same.

I've helped to hand-start a 6LW in a wagon, admittedly it took three of us but we were pulling it directly over compression and it went first time.

Tim

No, it doesn't have that facility - not that I would relish such a task. My Gardner's manual for the engine states that hand-cranking an LW "would be quite an achievement", which I guess means that Desperate Dan or Geoff Capes might just about manage it!

Hi,

I have seen 1L2 and amazingly, a neglected 6L2 started by hand, no 'Easy Start' or blow torches used, just the decompression lever. Three normal guys, (well one 'normal', one with a heart condition and the other with a 'dodgy' shoulder).

Leo.

Hi,

I have seen 1L2 and amazingly, a neglected 6L2 started by hand, no 'Easy Start' or blow torches used, just the decompression lever. Three normal guys, (well one 'normal', one with a heart condition and the other with a 'dodgy' shoulder).

Leo.

Electric start was an extra cost option on the L2 engines :lol:

Tim

• 11 years later...