Clamp meter

Theo

Featured Posts

I bought a cheap one from Sterling and it was bloody awful and I assumed that they all were, I later borrowed a Fluke one and was very surprised how much better it was but it probably cost three times more.

The are a very handy bit of kit the ebay ones do look a bit like the Sterling thing I had so it would be interesting to know if they are any better.

I wouldn't mind getting another one, someone nicked my Sterling one so maybe they are having better results than I did! lol

Edited by Gary Peacock

I bought a cheap one from Sterling and it was bloody awful and I assumed that they all were, I later borrowed a Fluke one and was very surprised how much better it was but it probably cost three times more.

Just been digging around, there's a Chinese Fluke site

www.fluke.com.cn, if you dig deep enough you can find the 316 but it looks as though it was 'last year's model', the instruction book is copyright 2002/2006.

Tim

..... but with a clamp meter the high current doesn't pass through the meter, there is no 'direct' (rather than clamped) current facility, I should imagine the current passing through the meter itself is quite small.

The book says 2.5% +- 10 digits for all 3 DC current ranges, a bit better for the lower AC ranges. Good enough for the sort of thing I'm likely to use it for.

The leads are almost identical to those on my (100% authentic western) Fluke 87 multimeter. It does seem to be a decent, well made bit of kit and I did say that I was quite prepared that it could be some sort of 'pirate' manufacture, though I think it's probably genuine. The book is in Chinese first, English second so it's clearly aimed at the Chinese market first and foremost. If you can read Chinese, this will tell you all about it :lol:

http://www.shjhyq.cn/shjhyq_Product_2573540.html

I haven't used it for anything over 240V as far as I remember, but I have no reason to suspect it would be any less safe than the meter which is the subject of the original post, I didn't see you raise any concerns over that :lol:

Tim

I've got no concerns. :lol: if you want to blow yourself up, that's your problem not mine. I'm simply asking what your thoughts are on the meter. In my profession all test gear is inspected anually any 'dodgy' gear would be outlawed, that's for my benefit/safety and also that of my customers. I've purchased the clamp meter mentioned in a previous post with a guarantee that the paperwork will pass inspection and recalibration. We'd all love to buy cheap test gear, it costs us a fortune for meters and recalibration that keep up to the latest standard. :lol:

if you want to blow yourself up, that's your problem not mine.

I'd love to know how you're supposed to be able to blow yourself up with a clamp meter. A few milliamps running around a coil has never made much of an explosion in my experience.

T.

I'd love to know how you're supposed to be able to blow yourself up with a clamp meter. A few milliamps running around a coil has never made much of an explosion in my experience.

T.

I really don't understand why Sparky was saying of the meter in the original post 'How can you fail at that price' but suddenly thinks mine, with quite a similar spec and apparently (I'm more sure now) from a highly reputable maker is likely to be a death trap. Very strange.

Tim

The useage under discussion is as a clamp meter (hall effect) however the actual meter in question is also supplied with test leads. This implies that it is suitable for direct measurement using said leads however it appears that it may not be supplied with paperwork which confirms that it is indeed safe to use with leads.

OK so it will be safe when used as a clamp meter (obviously, because a clamp meter simply measures a magnetic field induced by a current flowing in a conductor) but... If the test leads were to be used then it is possible that it would turn into a very dangerous piece of equipment.

If this meter was supplied without test leads, or designed as such, then it would be an inherently safe device but as it is supplied with test leads perhaps it should also be supplied with safety paperwork.

just a thought.

I trained as an industrial electrician and cable jointer, most of our work was in hash environments which meant test gear never lasted very long so Chinese 'no name' stuff was the obvious choice. Despite using all kinds of clamp meters, phasing units and other high voltage test gear I can honestly say I didn't die once.

Edited by Ike

One of the most important aspects of a clamp meter should be the insulation quality of its construction, not just when new, but after a few years wear and tear. Sooner or later somebody is going to try it on an uninsulated 440V (or higher) bus bar and accidentally make contact with it.

Are you sure ?

Think hard ! :lol:

I trained as an industrial electrician and cable jointer, most of our work was in hash environments which meant test gear never lasted very long so Chinese 'no name' stuff was the obvious choice. Despite using all kinds of clamp meters, phasing units and other high voltage test gear I can honestly say I didn't die once.

They still fill a plane full of parcels. Your inverter didn't get a 747 to itself.

DUHHH!!

are you being deliberately obtuse?

PS in case you don't realise it, that is a rhetorical question that does not need or even deserve a response.

DUHHH!!

are you being deliberately obtuse?

PS in case you don't realise it, that is a rhetorical question that does not need or even deserve a response.

No I'm not being deliberately obtuse.

The implication that a pallet of goods, going to a wholesaler is "greener" than a pallet of goods, going to individuals through the mail network is incorrect.

PS in case you don't realise it patronising post scripts don't make you correct.

One of the most important aspects of a clamp meter should be the insulation quality of its construction, not just when new, but after a few years wear and tear. Sooner or later somebody is going to try it on an uninsulated 440V (or higher) bus bar and accidentally make contact with it.

I fully understand there is a theoretical concern here. You either buy from a reputable seller probably in the EC if not the UK, pay handsomely and get all the paperwork or you make your own judgement about the risks of buying stuff unseen from the far east with limited paperwork.

In my particular case, I'm more than happy that what I bought will do what I need (and in fact anything within its spec) safely and with reasonable accuracy. It is actually CE marked and 600V CATIII and 1000V CAT II approved according to the labels and paperwork. That could all be falsified, of course, but I'm willing to bet it isn't.

BTW I'm never likely to see an uninsulated 440V busbar.

Tim

No I'm not being deliberately obtuse.

The implication that a pallet of goods, going to a wholesaler is "greener" than a pallet of goods, going to individuals through the mail network is incorrect.

PS in case you don't realise it patronising post scripts don't make you correct.

you have obviously either not properly read my post or you have not tried to understand it.

wholesale goods are commonly sent in containers by ship.

individual retail items are commonly sent by parcels service which equals air freight.

the latter is more environmentally damaging.

less demand for parcels means less environmental damage.

QED.

you have obviously either not properly read my post or you have not tried to understand it.

wholesale goods are commonly sent in containers by ship.

individual retail items are commonly sent by parcels service which equals air freight.

the latter is more environmentally damaging.

less demand for parcels means less environmental damage.

QED.

I suppose that depends on whether you count all the rubbish, toxic waste and "recyclable" materials, taking the return journey as ballast, to end up as landfill.

Then you could add on the fuel I'd use, to make the 25 mile round trip to the nearest Maplins, compared with the one that would be part of a bulk delivery, brought by the Royal Mail.

Then again, of course, there's the recent data that suggests that one container ship produces as much pollution as 50 million cars so, rather than driving to Maplins, it might be better if I drove to China, to pick up my clamp meter.

Then again, of course, there's the recent data that suggests that one container ship produces as much pollution as 50 million cars so, rather than driving to Maplins, it might be better if I drove to China, to pick up my clamp meter.

Good grief, can you imagine the traffic jam! :lol:

I suppose that depends on whether you count all the rubbish, toxic waste and "recyclable" materials, taking the return journey as ballast, to end up as landfill.

Then you could add on the fuel I'd use, to make the 25 mile round trip to the nearest Maplins, compared with the one that would be part of a bulk delivery, brought by the Royal Mail.

I just borrow my mate's, I only have to drive around the corner.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Theo,

i read your posting with great interest, got curious, went on ebay and bought one of these meters last Thursday (23/07/09) evening. I must admit that I am surprised to find the parcel was delivered today, Wednesday 29/07/09!

I am mightily impressed with the delivery, as well as the delivery charges.

I've unwrapped the meter, and I must admit that i am impressed with the visual build quality, and I cannot wait to take the out-put readings from both my engines 70A alternator and the Synchrocharge 40A battery charger. I plan to attempt to determine the most economical RPM versus the optimum alternator RPM.

My NB has a 3:1 PRM gearbox (in order to keep the alternator spinning faster). I'll keep you posted.

Rob

Hi Theo,

i read your posting with great interest, got curious, went on ebay and bought one of these meters last Thursday (23/07/09) evening. I must admit that I am surprised to find the parcel was delivered today, Wednesday 29/07/09!

I am mightily impressed with the delivery, as well as the delivery charges.

I've unwrapped the meter, and I must admit that i am impressed with the visual build quality, and I cannot wait to take the out-put readings from both my engines 70A alternator and the Synchrocharge 40A battery charger. I plan to attempt to determine the most economical RPM versus the optimum alternator RPM.

My NB has a 3:1 PRM gearbox (in order to keep the alternator spinning faster). I'll keep you posted.

Rob

Hi again, checking the 12v supply, the meter was reading optimistically by 0.03 volts, when compared to my calibrated Fluke 27, I checked the alternator output and it is kicking out 60.3Amps at 1,000 r.p.m.

All in all, i am satisfied with this meter!

Rob

I fully understand there is a theoretical concern here. You either buy from a reputable seller probably in the EC if not the UK, pay handsomely and get all the paperwork or you make your own judgement about the risks of buying stuff unseen from the far east with limited paperwork.

In my particular case, I'm more than happy that what I bought will do what I need (and in fact anything within its spec) safely and with reasonable accuracy. It is actually CE marked and 600V CATIII and 1000V CAT II approved according to the labels and paperwork. That could all be falsified, of course, but I'm willing to bet it isn't.

BTW I'm never likely to see an uninsulated 440V busbar.

Tim

You have to be standing on the other phase to find it. :lol: