LEAVING THE LEVELS

Athy

Featured Posts

I have moored on the Middle Levels at Upwell for nearly three years. It has much tocommend it but I am sick of selfish, loutish boaters who hurtle past my mooring far too fast, as if they had never heard the expression "Slow down passing moored craft". The last straw came this morning when a moron in a (private) narrowboat sped past me so fast that his wake smacked my boat against my landing stage, removing and damaging the fresh paintwork which I had spent all morning lovingly applying to the boat's side. I could tell you the name of the boat but I had better not.

That was the last straw; normally a quite placid person, I have been furious ever since. I have therefore resolved to leave the Middle Levels, as I want boating to be rewarding and relaxing, not frustrating and enraging. I have the possibility of a lovely mooring in North Oxfordshire which I'm pursuing at the moment.

Mrs. Athy and I will not have the time to move our boat that far ourselves owing to work commitments etc., so I'll need a boat moving company. Now, usually a lot of these advertise in the classifieds of the boat magazines, but this month there are hardly any. Does anyone know a company or properly qualified and insured individual who can take our boat from, say, Fox's Marina to Braunston or Napton, where we would rejoin it to complete the journey? If so I would be grateful for contact details. I want out of here and the sooner the bloody better.

It has much tocommend it but I am sick of selfish, loutish boaters who hurtle past my mooring far too fast, as if they had never heard the expression "Slow down passing moored craft".

If you are moving from the Middle Levels, to the Oxford, expect incidents like this to increase tenfold, or more.

If you are moving from the Middle Levels, to the Oxford, expect incidents like this to increase tenfold, or more.

I was wondering that. Only place I've even had a pin pulled out was on the Oxford (but as it was by a Big Woolwich I considered it an honour). There are surely going to be far more passing boats?

I'm quite keen to leave the ML precisely because one sees so few other boats on the move.

I was wondering that. Only place I've even had a pin pulled out was on the Oxford (but as it was by a Big Woolwich I considered it an honour). There are surely going to be far more passing boats?

I'm quite keen to leave the ML precisely because one sees so few other boats on the move.

There are certainly going to be more passing boats. Where I am on the North Oxford there is a fairly constant procession some days. Many make little or no effort to slow down past the boats moored on the outside here. Some do, some others do if they happen to notice a human being on one of the boats or close by. The truth is you have to tie the boats up well, fender them well and then it doesn't really matter what they do.

When the ex working boats pass as they do in great numbers around the time of the Braunston show, it is noticeable how much less they disturb the moored boats - probably because they slip through the water much better than many modern hulls.

Excuse my ignorance, but where are the Middle Levels please?

Basically East of Peterborough, from the Nene to the Great Ouse. Places include Whittlesey, March, Ramsey, Upwell, Outwell.

First off I'm not defending speeding boats... But the middle levels have to be one of the most frustrating waterways if you're tight for time. You have to book in at Stanground (24 hours minimum in advance now) - this is to do with water levels, then for some reason you have to phone through and book in at Marmont Priory Lock. When I asked the lock keeper as to why? she said she wasn't paid for the job she just liked helping boaters and the lock is at the end of her garden. This is great and somewhat quirky, however it's an added complication if you have to make it before she picks her grand children up from school (which was the case). I couldn't see any reason why we couldn't work the lock ourselves. Then if you're booked in for a tide time slot at Salters Lode you also have to make this. I appreciate you should always leave yourself plenty of time but some days you just loose hours and have to make them up if you want to get back to work on X and Y. Anyway enough said and I enjoyed our trip on the Middle Levels... !! Also the lock keeper at Marmont gave us a lift to the pub.. in Outwell when we moored close to her house, what a nice lady!!

Hello

I was out on the ML on Saturday. A short trip from March to Pophams Eae with some rellies that wanted a day out. The whole trip we saw only 2 NB come down from Marmot Priory. I would say that if I saw 5 boats on the move all day that would be about right.

I know the river you are talking about as we often come that way from March on longer "friends rellies" trips. We turn and come back a go to the 5 Bells. I really cant see how you can go fast in this bit. It is so shallow and narrow to move faster you actually need to go slower in my experience. The problem is often that you are pulling more water past you than you are penetrating through it. No matter how slow I go through I always move boats. Its not intentional.

Atthy have you thought about tying up in a different way. I am no expert but there are many ways to tie up to reduce movement.

BTW you can self use Marmot Priory lock, but it has an odd size windlass. Its a lot easier now they have made it hydraulic. I always ring ahead though as requested.

Edited by Biggles

It is in general, not narrowboats that cause speeding problems in this area it is the grp cruisers (I own one so am not getting at anyone!)

Where I moor there are signs stating 4mph but it is largely ignored and the craft all shake in their moorings!

Edited by Carol Whale

for some reason you have to phone through and book in at Marmont Priory Lock. When I asked the lock keeper as to why? she said she wasn't paid for the job she just liked helping boaters and the lock is at the end of her garden. This is great and somewhat quirky, however it's an added complication if you have to make it before she picks her grand children up from school (which was the case).

My understanding is that the need to pre-book Marmont Priory lock is just so that the passing boats can be assembled into locks-full, saving water. This is a good thing since there's not much water in Well Creek: it's very shallow.

Athy: I find it difficult to believe that you'll find an on-line mooring on the canals with less disturbance than you get on Well Creek, and at least Well Creek is close to waterways that are wide and deep enough that nothing passing causes and disturbance at all.

MP.