drink/boating petition

denboy

Featured Posts

Is there such a thing as a heavenly transvestite?

Working above the "Glamorous Show Bar" as i do, the bar that recently floated a "spot the girl" competition at Gay Pride... yes there is. :lol:

you learn to turn a blind eye to drug problems.

Is it the drugs or the people who use them?

Have you ever met a genuine heroin addict?

I know of two who can afford decent gear courtesy of their executive level jobs and they just time & meter their highs to fit round work. Back to the "people vs problem" debate??? Unfortunately most people can't hold it together to do so and so for the most part, Phylis, you're right but you would be surprised how well it can be controlled. I'd never steer a boat while under THAT influence tho... blimey.

I thought I'd quoted the list but I've not... I will continue anyway, a non too hardened smoker should be able to capably handle a boat having smoked some hashish, however not skunk (I'd equate hash with booze); although I know hardened smokers who do and inspire no concern on my part as they're used to it. Having consumed cocaine and ecstasy neither would worry me whilst steering, although i'd give it a couple of hours until the e had settled down before trying. I suspect, Matty, you speak from an unexperienced stance.

Both Cocaine and Ecstasy have been mooted for re-classification to cat B where hashish/grass has found itself once more (although I'd agree that Skunk should be A) but the political will wasn't there. A point of interest... Benzodiazepines such as Temazepam were also suggested for a move to cat A but the drug co's lobbied hard and it was forgotten despite their deleterious and addictive natures. Also I find it interesting how hemp i.e. cannabis, was initially made illegal in the face of the expanding cotton trade jumping on the back of the 20's temperance movement...

I think the same arguments as to drinking excessively while cruising do for the most part extend to other substances, apart from the fact that any other intoxicant is banned. N'O'h's is right... to my mind, legalisation would, indeed help to regulate consumption and we could all have a happier time of things :lol: Probably without some of the unnecessary judgements that abound due to the aforementioned prohibition.

Ah, right!

So, because you choose not to drink at lunchtime, you feel that it is OK to impose that on others who make a different choice, and for no more reason than that you adopt a position of moral superiority about your ability to enjoy boating without a drink.

With such a predeliction for interfering in other people's business, you are well on the way to becoming a politician. Just master the trousering of large amounts of taxpayers dosh, and a safe seat is yours.

Where did I express a desire to interfere with other people's business? I don't give a toss about these regulations. They are unenforceable on the canals and they will not affect me. I am morally superior to anyone who cannot enjoy boating without a mind altering drug.

I am morally superior to anyone who cannot enjoy boating without a mind altering drug.

Alan, surely, if you read this sentence, out loud, back to yourself, you will see how pompous it sounds.

I would doubt that anyone, posting here, would stop enjoying their boating, if alcohol was banned completely.

Boating is enjoyable, drinking a cool beer, on a summer's day, is enjoyable.

Enjoying the two together do not make one morally inferior, to a tee-totaller.

Alan, surely, if you read this sentence, out loud, back to yourself, you will see how pompous it sounds.

I would doubt that anyone, posting here, would stop enjoying their boating, if alcohol was banned completely.

Boating is enjoyable, drinking a cool beer, on a summer's day, is enjoyable.

Enjoying the two together do not make one morally inferior, to a tee-totaller.

Therefore I am not morally superior to such people. Just those who cannot enjoy boating without it.

Therefore I am not morally superior to such people. Just those who cannot enjoy boating without it.

But this topic is not about alcoholism, therefore your comment is irrelevant.

Your comment has turned towards criticising someone with a recognised illness.

That doesn't display any moral superiority, whatsoever.

But this topic is not about alcoholism, therefore your comment is irrelevant.

Your comment has turned towards criticising someone with a recognised illness.

That doesn't display any moral superiority, whatsoever.

You brought up alcoholism. Not me. Phylis stated that lunchtime drinking was part of boating culture. I deny that.

You brought up alcoholism. Not me. Phylis stated that lunchtime drinking was part of boating culture. I deny that.

Hardly a hard session though is it, lunch and a pint. Take it you never do pub lunch whilst out cruising.

I can enjoy boating very well without coffee.

I didn't ask if you enjoyed it or not, I was asking if you went boating after drinking coffee?

I personally wouldn't enjoy boating after drinking coffee as it has a rather negative effect on me.

I didn't ask if you enjoyed it or not, I was asking if you went boating after drinking coffee?

I personally wouldn't enjoy boating after drinking coffee as it has a rather negative effect on me.

I don't drink much coffee I'd rather have tea. At which point the argument will get silly with claims that tea contains caffeine and is therefore mind altering. This may be so but the effect of drinking a pint of tea compared with drinking one of beer is minimal. Anyway, most alcohol drinkers drink tea and coffee as well.

So Alan, in your little world you are superior to everyone who drinks alcohol and coffee.

You should run for prime minister. You are superior to the majority of the population of the UK :lol:

Just some are above others, i think we all know our place :lol:

Live & let live i say.

Appears alan is top of the pile. We should all bow down and worship as mere mortals.

So I can't feel superior to a mass murderer until I have tried it?

No. If you feel that you are superior to everybody you should see a doctor. Im sure they will have a diagnosis for you.

You are superior to nobody. None of us are.

So Alan, in your little world you are superior to everyone who drinks alcohol and coffee.

You should run for prime minister. You are superior to the majority of the population of the UK :lol:

Appears alan is top of the pile. We should all bow down and worship as mere mortals.

You are not reading my posts just making silly assumptions. As stated before, I do drink alcohol occasionally. I also like a coffee after my evening meal. My world is no smaller than yours. Don't make juvenile attempts to patronise.

You are not reading my posts just making silly assumptions. As stated before, I do drink alcohol occasionally. I also like a coffee after my evening meal. My world is no smaller than yours. Don't make juvenile attempts to patronise.

I have read them just fine. You state that you are superior to any one drinking alcohol and then driving their boats. Yet you then say that you do it yourself. Just interested how you can be superior to yourself.

You are superior to no one. We all enter this world as equals and leave it the same.

I must admit to be rather torn on the subject. It is clear that drinking alcohol impairs ones judgment as well as reactions. Should something go wrong we may make poor decisions and take the wrong action causing greater risk of something tragic happening. So perhaps we should not drink when operating the boat. On the other hand people should be able to judge for themselves what is reasonable and not put themselves or others at risk.

When we were out going round the Leicester ring a couple of weeks back we did see an example of where an excess of alcohol could so easily have turned to tragedy and the incident gave me the shivers.

It could have been a very nasty incident. A bunch of drunken (including steerer) folk on the roof of a moving boat came up the canal toward where we were moored and a young girl fell in, drunk too. The remaining crew seemed incapable of reacting other than trying to reverse to her and get her on board the counter. She couldn't get aboard though and the chaps unable to lift her out although they had the boat in neutral by then her legs repeatedly went under the uxter plate. I got our life belt and threw it to her and pulled her to shore and lifted her out. She got back on board to jeers from her crew mates (who seemed entirely unconcerned about her well being) and to cap it all the boat then rammed another moored boat just beyond the bridge a couple of hundred yards down the cut.

If you saw what happened yourself and thought about the consequences of what may have happened had they kept the engine in gear for a little longer than they did like me your first reaction might be to think of an alcohol ban being a good idea. However, the sad thing is even if we had a ban would it have stopped these irresponsible People from drinking? Clearly there are some idiotic people out there who despite laws curbing drink driving in motor vehicles still do so with tragic results.

I have read them just fine. You state that you are superior to any one drinking alcohol and then driving their boats. Yet you then say that you do it yourself. Just interested how you can be superior to yourself.

You are superior to no one. We all enter this world as equals and leave it the same.

Completely misread again. Whilst I am at the doctor's sorting out my superiority problem you could attend a reading clinic. I claimed to feel superior to those who cannnot enjoy boating without a drink not everyone who does so and then steers their boat.

Carl has a point in that I should probably not feel morally superior for such people but sympathy for them but this is unlikely if they cause me problems on the cut.