drink/boating petition

denboy

Featured Posts

How many of us have been in a serious inland boating accident? Very few if any i suspect. Having a few drinks at lunchtime then setting off in search of a mooring for the evening is part of the boating culture, hence the amount of waterside pubs. Why change something that isnt an issue?

Mind you we have got ourselves out of that one now :lol:

It might be part of your culture but certainly not mine. Alcohol is a drug and if you can't enjoy boating without it you are in a poor state as far as I'm concerned.

There is a fundamental question as to the level of intoxication which impairs a person from safely carrying out a function. It is clear that the level will be different depending upon what activity is to be performed.

For driving a motor vehicle at speeds of up to 70 mph, the blood-alcohol limit is 80mg/100ml

For flying a plane at speeds in excess of that, and with movement in 3 dimensions to control, the blood-alcohol limit is 20mg/100ml

The limit for navigating a narrowboat at no more than 4mph is to be??? 80mg/100ml

There will be no limit for those who are operating locks.

I don't know what you are all so worried about. It is unenforceable anyway and no-one on the cut is going to get prosecuted. Personally I'm not in the least bothered by it.

It might be part of your culture but certainly not mine. Alcohol is a drug and if you can't enjoy boating without it you are in a poor state as far as I'm concerned.

Why is it than non-drinkers can be so pious about drink? (Carlt excepted) There are many things that go together for different people. Personally I find that no football match is complete without a coffee and a pie at half time. A day's walking in the country is enhanced by sitting in the middle of nowhere, on my waterproof, and drinking from a flask of tea, and yet, ,make that steering my boat down the Gloucester and Sharpness with a glass of Talisker, and suddenly I am an addict "in a poor state".

Its part of the relaxed atmosphere, me thinks.

Its interesting to note on our travels though that it is the non-drinkers that are the uptight lot. The boaters who enjoy a sensible drink whilst boating are the ones who are sociable and easy going.

Why is it than non-drinkers can be so pious about drink? (Carlt excepted) There are many things that go together for different people. Personally I find that no football match is complete without a coffee and a pie at half time. A day's walking in the country is enhanced by sitting in the middle of nowhere, on my waterproof, and drinking from a flask of tea, and yet, ,make that steering my boat down the Gloucester and Sharpness with a glass of Talisker, and suddenly I am an addict "in a poor state".

I'm not teetotal. I enjoy a good malt or a glass of wine every now and then but I don't see 6 units at lunchtime and then more consumption in the evening as moderate alcohol consumtion. Neither does the medical profession. Your coffee and tea are not mind altering drugs to any measurable degree and therefore do not affect your competence.

One pint at lunchtime would render me a lot less competent and I would spend the afternoon boating in an alcoholic haze. A single pint may not affect those who are hardened to the drug but they are likely to drink enough to get themselves in that state anyway. Isn't that the whole purpose of drinking? To drug oneself so that ones inhibitions are reduced.

To assume that drinking is part of the boating culture is laddish and incorrect as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not teetotal. I enjoy a good malt or a glass of wine every now and then but I don't see 6 units at lunchtime and then more consumption in the evening as moderate alcohol consumtion. Neither does the medical profession. Your coffee and tea are not mind altering drugs to any measurable degree and therefore do not affect your competence.

One pint at lunchtime would render me a lot less competent and I would spend the afternoon boating in an alcoholic haze. A single pint may not affect those who are hardened to the drug but they are likely to drink enough to get themselves in that state anyway. Isn't that the whole purpose of drinking? To drug oneself so that ones inhibitions are reduced.

To assume that drinking is part of the boating culture is laddish and incorrect as far as I'm concerned.

My point above exactly

Its interesting to note on our travels though that it is the non-drinkers that are the uptight lot. The boaters who enjoy a sensible drink whilst boating are the ones who are sociable and easy going.

Yes, I'm sure sensible research would prove beyond doubt that these observations actually represent a measurable statistic! :lol:

I'm a drinker, and have two sons one of who chooses to drink, and one who does not, (......at all, ever). I can't say that I've noticed the tea-total one is any less sociable or easy going than the other, (sometimes it's quite the reverse TBH :lol: ).

To be serious.

I think regulation regularly goes too far, and far too much is now done in this country to (allegedly) protect people from themselves.

What is true though, (but outside scope of any proposed legislation of course), is that of the several people who have drowned in the canal around here returning to boats late at night, (and there have been several), all have been drinkers, (and drinking). It's fair to say had most been drinking orange juice, they might still be with us. The same almost certainly applies to some deaths in boats from fire or carbon monoxide poisoning. The trouble is that although people often associate the words 'drink' and 'sensible', 'sensible' has the habit of getting overlooked far too regularly.

Yes, I'm sure sensible research would prove beyond doubt that these observations actually represent a measurable statistic! :lol:

I'm a drinker, and have two sons one of who chooses to drink, and one who does not, (......at all, ever). I can't say that I've noticed the tea-total one is any less sociable or easy going than the other, (sometimes it's quite the reverse TBH :lol: ).

To be serious.

I think regulation regularly goes too far, and far too much is now done in this country to (allegedly) protect people from themselves.

What is true though, (but outside scope of any proposed legislation of course), is that of the several people who have drowned in the canal around here returning to boats late at night, (and there have been several), all have been drinkers, (and drinking). It's fair to say had most been drinking orange juice, they might still be with us. The same almost certainly applies to some deaths in boats from fire or carbon monoxide poisoning. The trouble is that although people often associate the words 'drink' and 'sensible', 'sensible' has the habit of getting overlooked far too regularly.

So tee-totalers dont die in accidents?

Ah, right!

So, because you choose not to drink at lunchtime, you feel that it is OK to impose that on others who make a different choice, and for no more reason than that you adopt a position of moral superiority about your ability to enjoy boating without a drink.

With such a predeliction for interfering in other people's business, you are well on the way to becoming a politician. Just master the trousering of large amounts of taxpayers dosh, and a safe seat is yours.

I'm not teetotal. I enjoy a good malt or a glass of wine every now and then.

snip

Good, when we meet you will be welcomed on board and offered tea, coffee or talisker, your choice

To me, one of the things that sets alcohol apart from other drugs is that it is not necessary to drink to the point where it is mind altering, whereas most dope users and other drugs users are trying to get totally stoned. I know that the drink industry have been aiding and abetting the alternative culture by encouraging some people to get as much down their neck as possible. I can drink a lot and still stand up, but that doesn't make having a wee dram pointless, nor does it make it the first step on the way to downing the whole bottle.

To me, one of the things that sets alcohol apart from other drugs is that it is not necessary to drink to the point where it is mind altering, whereas most dope users and other drugs users are trying to get totally stoned.

I'll go along with that. One beer at lunchtime doesn't make me unhinhibited!! (visions of naked boating) it is simply agreeable and I won't give it up for anyone. For Father's Day my kids always buy me a selection of belgian beers and lunchtime is when I have a bottle. Cheers.

I'll go along with that. One beer at lunchtime doesn't make me unhinhibited!! (visions of naked boating) it is simply agreeable and I won't give it up for anyone. For Father's Day my kids always buy me a selection of belgian beers and lunchtime is when I have a bottle. Cheers.

You waited while lunchtime :lol:

You waited while lunchtime :lol:

That makes me think of my parents, bless them. Can't have a beer before mid-day or a G&T before 5.30pm. It isn't civilised behaviour. Similar rules applied to tea and coffee. I grew up accepting those laws and I'm too old to change now :lol:

That makes me think of my parents, bless them. Can't have a beer before mid-day or a G&T before 5.30pm. It isn't civilised behaviour. Similar rules applied to tea and coffee. I grew up accepting those laws and I'm too old to change now :lol:

In the words of the song "It's 5 O'Clock somewhere"

I personally am less of a risk when sloshed. When sober my steering is at best slalom at worse a threat to humanity. When mullered it's much better.

Same applies for heels. When sober can't even stand in a pair of heels, when hammered I'll be stalking around in my metal-heeled platforms like a transvestite from hell...

thdrinking.gif

Edited to say: If I can't have my cocktails on the boat then the powers-that-be can refund the £600 my fridge cost! Otherwise what's the point in having one!?!?!

Edited by BlueStringPudding

I personally am less of a risk when sloshed. When sober my steering is at best slalom at worse a threat to humanity. When mullered it's much better.

Your reaction times might be impaired but at 3 to 4 mph you've got plenty of time.

Is there such a thing as a heavenly transvestite?

....... I think regulation regularly goes too far, and far too much is now done in this country to (allegedly) protect people from themselves.

I agree, although a key point is how to define what constitutes impairment through drinking, because alcohol doesn't just impair function. Studies have shown that even low levels of alcohol instill an over-confidence in one's own abilities. So, as well as the potential for inebriated persons sleeping through gas/smoke alarms, there's also the potential for minor incidents such as collisions through over confidence ... but supposing the "minor" incident was a collision that knocked someone off the rear counter and under the prop ?

I don't like the over-regulation and the ban-this and ban-that culture, I'd favour a culture of education where we understand the effects of alcohol much better and accept that we have to modify our intake appropriate to what we intend to do. How do we encourage everyone to be responsible though ? Or do we have to accept that there'll always be one or two irresponsible people no matter what regulation is imposed ?

(edited to compensate for over-confidence in spelling)

Edited by Graham!

but supposing the "minor" incident was a collision that knocked someone off the rear counter and under the prop ?

Maybe we should bring out new laws stating that all NB owners have to fully enclose the rear of their craft to avoid such accidents.

Your coffee and tea are not mind altering drugs to any measurable degree and therefore do not affect your competence.

Yes they are - I am effected quite badly by coffee, to the point that I avoid drinking - I would not, for example, drink a strong cup of coffee and feel comfortable driving my car.

Yes they are - I am effected quite badly by coffee, to the point that I avoid drinking - I would not, for example, drink a strong cup of coffee and feel comfortable driving my car.

But surely we cannot rely upon your common sense.

Ban coffee!

Cannot beat a Floater coffee (that is not one thats got some dodgy effluent in it).

On a cold day coffee with a shot of whisky/brandy keeps out the chill.

Cannot beat a Floater coffee (that is not one thats got some dodgy effluent in it).

Thats doubly bad. You shuld be strapped to your bed for your own safety following that cocktail of mind bending substances.

Actually, the only time I can drink coffee is when I am drunk....