Another Bargain Boat.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Check out "Lady Mary" here......

Barton Marina link....

BTMLADYMARY.JPG

40ft cruiser style Narrowboat, built in 1979 by Springer, re-built wooden top, 4 berth with two double beds (one king size), fixed shower, pump-out toilet, Beta Marine B38KC engine, 1 start and 3 leisure batteries, dual fuel tanks, twin gas bottle storage, BSC to 2010, engine serviced and bottom blacked in 2008

Reduced to £35,995

If I had ever realised that my wooden topped boat might one day have had the potential to be worth maybe twice it's metal topped equivalent, I would never have got rid of it!

What are they smoking when they put these prices on ? - (and at £36K it's reduced!)

Gobsmacked!

I agree there are some seriously silly asking prices out there. On Barton Marina's web site you have the choice of a 2006 50' steel boat or a 1979 40' wooden top for very similar money. Like you say I would like two pints of whatever they are drinking please

Barton Marina link....

BTMLADYMARY.JPG

If I had ever realised that my wooden topped boat might one day have had the potential to be worth maybe twice it's metal topped equivalent, I would never have got rid of it!

What are they smoking when they put these prices on ? - (and at £36K it's reduced!)

Gobsmacked!

We need to keep an eye on this one.

Maybe we should run a contest to see what it eventually goes for........

Come on guy's. Be nice. It's a 1979 wooden top springer for goodness sake. Think of the historic nature of the boat. It's pedigree....

Coat on :lol:

Perhaps it's one of those "drop-down auctions" where, if it doesn't sell, the price is reduced daily until it does. Maybe £21,000 in October? Seriously though, I guess the availability of the Home Counties marina mooring adds a bit to its value.

We need to keep an eye on this one.

Maybe we should run a contest to see what it eventually goes for........

It won't!

The seller has so seriously overvalued the boat that he will probably withdraw it from sale rather than accept a reasonable price.

I can't see it as being worth a penny over £12k

It was originally over £40k .

I have actually seen this boat, I was looking at another one and just bhad to see why this was worth so much, ..........it is a lovely boat and very nice inside, but it is only priced at that because the OWNERS wanted that price. Barton told them to expect no more than £20k top whack, if they could find a mug daft enough. :lol:

I can understand the charisma of owning a historic narrowboat with the option to restore it to its former glory but run of the mill boats 30 years old must be ready for the scrap yard by virtue of the environment they are in and surely these type of prices must be ridiculous in the extreme. With falling prices a top spec sailaway would be less than the asking price for this hunk of junk.

This rather reminds me of the 90s housing crash where the value of houses went through the floor. Except mine, that's still worth what it was at the height of the boom.

How can people delude themselves this way? Or is there more to it than meets the eye, like divorce for instance, boat must be sold and proceeds split so sod it I'll make sure it won't sell.

There are two ways of valuing a boat. What she is worth to her owner (ie the minimum he would accept as compensation for not having her any more) and what she is worth to someone who may buy her. Clearly only the second of those is relevant to an asking price, but many people think only of the first. It may be, of course, that the owner is hoping that the novelty value of a wooden top, amongst all of the steel clones, will raise the value in the eyes of a buyer. I suspect it will not....

Logging off now - going to my own boat to put yet re-paint on the wooden cabin, yet again.

Edited by Ewart Hodgson

"Do you think that they made a decimal point error? Should £35,995 read £3599.5?"

I think you are more right than you think - £4k is about right for that pile of old bits.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"There are two ways of valuing a boat"

Wrong - there is only one way to define a value: What someone will give you for it. Period.

Edited by WJM

"There are two ways of valuing a boat"

Wrong - there is only one way to define a value: What someone will give you for it. Period.

The market value of anything is the intersection of what the buyer is prepared to pay and the seller is prepared to accept. It takes both.

Edited by WarriorWoman

"The market value of anything is the intersection of what the buyer is prepared to pay and the seller is prepared to accept. It takes both"

Rubbish - the value is what the highest bidder is prepared to pay - full stop. Whether the seller wants to accept that bid has no bearing on the value. It is only ever worth what someone will give you. Anything else is just fanciful, meaningless opinion.

"The market value of anything is the intersection of what the buyer is prepared to pay and the seller is prepared to accept. It takes both"

Rubbish - the value is what the highest bidder is prepared to pay - full stop. Whether the seller wants to accept that bid has no bearing on the value. It is only ever worth what someone will give you. Anything else is just fanciful, meaningless opinion.

So how do you explain when a property is down valued by a surveyor? The buyers have agreed to part with their money for a given property and the surveyor comes along, disagrees and the buyers can't buy it for what they think it's worth!!!

What is the true value in this scenario?

So how do you explain when a property is down valued by a surveyor? The buyers have agreed to part with their money for a given property and the surveyor comes along, disagrees and the buyers can't buy it for what they think it's worth!!!

What is the true value in this scenario?

That has more to do with the availability of credit than the value of the property. But credit has distorted the value of many commodities. The buyers have agreed to part with their deposit, that's all.

Edited by journeyperson

Barton Marina link....

Gobsmacked!

The answer is that Barton Turns haven't got a clue about valuing or selling boats. They just rely on the fact that people moored in their marina are not allowed the freedom to choose a broker - they have to use Barton Turns or no one. And the same is true at many other marinas. BWML with their 18 marinas are prime examples of this restrictive practice. Roll on the day the OFT step in and allow moorers the freedom to choose their selling agent, as house owners are free to do.

The answer is that Barton Turns haven't got a clue about valuing or selling boats. They just rely on the fact that people moored in their marina are not allowed the freedom to choose a broker - they have to use Barton Turns or no one. And the same is true at many other marinas. BWML with their 18 marinas are prime examples of this restrictive practice. Roll on the day the OFT step in and allow moorers the freedom to choose their selling agent, as house owners are free to do.

Don't think the boat was moored here, the owners have brought the boat in here and put the price tag on this boat, not Barton turns. Its not Barton turns job to value boats, they can advise but its down to the owner in the end.

Don't think the boat was moored here, the owners have brought the boat in here and put the price tag on this boat, not Barton turns. Its not Barton turns job to value boats, they can advise but its down to the owner in the end.

Barton Turns are probably quite happy if the owner is coughing up a mooring fee. Probably more profitable for them if the boat doesn't sell.

But my main point remains the same. If you are a BT moorer, you cannot place your boat for sale with any broker other than BT themselves. The same is true at countless other marinas. Why? It is a shocking restrictive practice.

I'll agree with your main point but its free to moor your boat on the brokerage.

And that, of course, may be the explanation !

No cheaper way to moor your boat really - I might price mine at £100K, then ask a local brokerage to handle it for me - I could save a fortune!

So if I offer you a fiver for your car, say, and no-body else shows interest, does that make your car worth a fiver?

There is a simple (but incorrect) answer - 'value' is anything anyone cares to assert that it is; and there is a more complex answer - value can be defined in many different ways, which I will leave the economists to explain. Asserting something dogmatically does not necessarily make it the case, even if you do it twice.