LCD TV

Sarah and Ian

Featured Posts

Hello all can you run a normal LCD TV on a normal 12v system.

In the process of buying our first boat and at present it does not have 240V system for use on the towpath so to speak.

Thanks in advance.

Some LCD Tvs have a transformer built into them to run off 12v,but best to buy a 12v regulated supply which keeps the voltage within a safe margin when for instance the engine is running if you are plugging into the boats 12v system .Maplins sell a good regulated supply

Mick

Hi.

There are loads of tv's on the market that are dual voltage (12volt and 240volt)

We have a Avtex W193D LCD which has a dvd player built in and has freeview amongst other things.

Don't forget the aerial and probably a signal booster of some sort as the signals not always that good on the canal.

I'm sure that a few of the other members will give you their thoughts as well.

GB.

Hi.

There are loads of tv's on the market that are dual voltage (12volt and 240volt)

We have a Avtex W193D LCD which has a dvd player built in and has freeview amongst other things.

Don't forget the aerial and probably a signal booster of some sort as the signals not always that good on the canal.

I'm sure that a few of the other members will give you their thoughts as well.

GB.

We've got 12v and 240v mains power. We've got an arial and signal booster. Looking for Freeview and DVD player all built in so thats a good one are they more expensive? Than normail TV's. Hitting a slight financial hit with the house prices dropping fingers crossed we can still get an inverter fitted.

Cheers

We have got a MEOS 12V TV/DVD/Freeview 15.4 LCD unit. It has been fine for 6 months although we have had a problem and it has gone back to the supplier. We have just recieved an email to say a new TV is on its way so we cant complain about the service. I think they retail in the region of £220 so not tto expensive

Edited by Phylis

While we are on the subject, a couple of weeks ago we bought an LCD TV + a hard drive recorder, great, then we added satellite ( Aldi, £64.99) works a treat only thing is we don't seem to be able to record satellite. Can anybody point me in the right direction I've tried all combinations of scart connections, or maybe it's not possible. Thanks

We have got a MEOS 12V TV/DVD/Freeview 15.4 LCD unit. It has been fine for 6 months although we have had a problem and it has gone back to the supplier. We have just recieved an email to say a new TV is on its way so we cant complain about the service. I think they retail in the region of £220 so not tto expensive

Thanks Phylis will that work on 240V as well sorry for the dumb question.

Thanks Phylis will that work on 240V as well sorry for the dumb question.

It does. It has adapters for 240 and 12V. We bought ours from we do digital. They are a web based company but their service is fantastic and their customer service has been second to none.

I chose to go for an inverter and a 240v LCD TV and freeview box. Why?

Inverter to get the option of 240v. You are then able to get a much wider choice of appliances like fridges for example and not have to pay for the high cost of limited choice 12v equipment.

The small overhead the inverter uses is pretty much negated by the 240v equipment having a lower amps draw. On paper my fridge with the inverter draws less amps that an equivalent 12v fridge. Also remember that 12v requires thicker cables to reduce voltage drop.

Also a already mentioned 12v straight off the boat supply can be very messy in terms of voltage which is why its recommended to have a 12v stabilised power supply.

IMO if 12v was the best solution why would boats have a 240v system as well?

Inverter to get the option of 240v. You are then able to get a much wider choice of appliances like fridges for example and not have to pay for the high cost of limited choice 12v equipment.

The small overhead the inverter uses is pretty much negated by the 240v equipment having a lower amps draw. On paper my fridge with the inverter draws less amps that an equivalent 12v fridge. Also remember that 12v requires thicker cables to reduce voltage drop.

Also a already mentioned 12v straight off the boat supply can be very messy in terms of voltage which is why its recommended to have a 12v stabilised power supply.

Because there is a wider range of 240V equipment and modern boaters cant possibly cope without the washing machine, tumble drier, fridge/freezer, hair dryer, hair straigteners, fast boil kettle, huge oven, massive TV's and stereo equipment :lol:

In reality though the boat they have is set up for 12V so a 12V TV is probably going to be cheaper than setting the whole boat up for 240V.

Thanks Biggles

I was just looking for an interim solution due to the fact we might not be able to get the Inverter fitted for the 1st 6 months or so. Hopefully we will but this economic down turn has reduced how house price which we are using to raise the funds for the boat.

Very annoying as we can afford a much larger mortgage but lenders are only lending 75% of equity at the moment.

Cheers

For the price of a 12v power stabilizer you could get a 300w inverter which will cost about £30 and will run your TV fine. Gives you the option to get the 240v choice range. What ever you do even if you decide to go for a 12v tv with a 240v power supply, don't run it straight off the 12v supply!

My Toshiba recently went wrong. Bought from Sainsburys, I took it back exactly 12 months after buying it and got a full refund.

I have now bought a "Cello C1673F" from Comet; 16" wide screen LCD with DVD player & digital tuner. It runs fine off my 150W coke can inverter (it's 230V only) and, and this is the best bit, I can get excellent reception on all digital and analogue channels with a wiggly wire Omnimax aerial where my previous two tvs struggled to get anything watchable, even with a booster. It cost £150 and although I've never heard of the "make", it works very well.

Although the make, 'Cello', is one I had never heard of, I wouldn't be surprised if the innards are the same as other more expensive labels.

get a 12 volt to 12 volt regulator if your running it off your 12v system which can fluctuate quite a bit and damage the tv(been there done it got 2 Tshirts to prove it)

Hi Denboy

At the best part of 400 sovs for a telly where, what and how much was this regulator thingy please???

Got my interest now - more toys!!!!!

Thanks.

Mike

Hi Denboy

At the best part of 400 sovs for a telly where, what and how much was this regulator thingy please???

Got my interest now - more toys!!!!!

Thanks.

Mike

maplins think they`re around £30 theres a link in a previous thread which i cant find at present

Hello all can you run a normal LCD TV on a normal 12v system.

In the process of buying our first boat and at present it does not have 240V system for use on the towpath so to speak.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Currys and PC World do a Teac 19" TV/DVD/Freeview with a 240v to 12v powerpack for £149.00 - throw a way the power pack and connect the lead to a 12V plug.

I have run a TV like this for 4 years and never had a problem - with or without the engine running.

Alex

While we are on the subject, a couple of weeks ago we bought an LCD TV + a hard drive recorder, great, then we added satellite ( Aldi, £64.99) works a treat only thing is we don't seem to be able to record satellite. Can anybody point me in the right direction I've tried all combinations of scart connections, or maybe it's not possible. Thanks

Many 'moons' ago I had a shop and we sold Scart leads. ...just an idea.....but some of the cheaper leads do not have all the pins connected....just the critical playback ones....especialy if these leads were 'thrown in' with a video/ satellite etc....

It may be worth making sure you have an 'all pins connected' lead.

Cheers.

Bob

Thanks

I'll look them up.

In Brum tomorrow - must be a Maplins there somewhere.

Mike

Hi...

There is a Maplins shop very near the cathedral...can't recall the road name..?

It is a road that runs downhill from the cathedral park

Bob

Hi...

There is a Maplins shop very near the cathedral...can't recall the road name..?

It is a road that runs downhill from the cathedral park

Bob

Couldn't be better.

I'll be at the Pallisades Shopping Centre looking at a job.

Thanks for info.

Mike

Some LCD Tvs have a transformer built into them to run off 12v,but best to buy a 12v regulated supply which keeps the voltage within a safe margin when for instance the engine is running if you are plugging into the boats 12v system .Maplins sell a good regulated supply

Mick

I normally watch a 19" mains TV when I'm on shore power at my mooring, but last year I bought a tiny 8" 12v TV which I use when I'm on the move as it draws less than an amp.

I bought it from Maplins and was told it would run direct from the 12v system. Do these little flatscreen LCD TVs have their own regulator or should I buy one?

Its been ok so far.

Edited by blackrose

get a 12 volt to 12 volt regulator if your running it off your 12v system which can fluctuate quite a bit and damage the tv(been there done it got 2 Tshirts to prove it)

We didnt have a problem with that. We always plugged ours straight in to the 12V system. The DVD player shifted causing it to scratch discs (or so the supplier reckons) either way we are happy got a shiney new one coming. :lol:

Although the make, 'Cello', is one I had never heard of, I wouldn't be surprised if the innards are the same as other more expensive labels.

Hi Dor,

Cello products are made in Yorkshire by a company who imports the parts from China.

Cello Electronics (Uk) Ltd, Tumbledown, Wensley, Leyburn, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom DL8 4HL

Their TVs are all over the place these days - even Amazon sells them.

Regards,

Tony :lol: