Big Woolwich: am I mad?

Chertsey

Featured Posts

The Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Limited, and later "British Waterways" used the term 'Steerer', i.e. Steerer Harrison. This term is used on both period fleet lists as well as film productions. Most health registration authorities used the term 'Master'. I prefer, and use the former.......

The Working Boatmen I knew in the 60's refered to themselves as Captain. They probably would not have objected to Steerer or Master, but "Skipper" was considered to be a derrogatory term they used to describe inexperienced amateurs in pleasure boats.

The Working Boatmen I knew in the 60's refered to themselves as Captain. They probably would not have objected to Steerer or Master, but "Skipper" was considered to be a derrogatory term they used to describe inexperienced amateurs in pleasure boats.

What's the point of asking "Skipper".. Wasn't he some sort of marsupial, what would he know about boats..

Returning to the original question, yes mad as a hatter.

You can watch Eric Sykes playing a 'Skipper' in 'The Bargee'. (Complete with signal flags, though most used fingers).

Get yourself a copy of Alan Faulkner's 'The George & The Mary', little A5 softcover. Depicts the history (a brief one) of the G.U.C.C.C. Ltd. All the boat names, type, and builder are listed in the back, though you will need someone with the knowledge to point out the differences from the cut side.

Derek

Edited by Derek R.

The Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Limited, and later "British Waterways" used the term 'Steerer', i.e. Steerer Harrison. This term is used on both period fleet lists as well as film productions. Most health registration authorities used the term 'Master'. I prefer, and use the former.

Yes, that's what I favour

I would recommend speaking with as many boat owners as possible before committing yourselves to any former carrying boat. This may help you choose from the several different types of working boat available, their advantages and downfalls as well as the names of the worth while narrow boat restorers. There are several working boat gatherings throughout the year and throughout the country.

Been doing that for the last three years.

I owned a Large Woolwich pair some years ago, the narrow boat design that I still prefer.

Do tell me more about the experience please!

You can watch Eric Sykes playing a 'Skipper' in 'The Bargee'. (Complete with signal flags, though most used fingers).

Get yourself a copy of Alan Faulkner's 'The George & The Mary', little A5 softcover. Depicts the history (a brief one) of the G.U.C.C.C. Ltd. All the boat names, type, and builder are listed in the back, though you will need someone with the knowledge to point out the differences from the cut side.

Derek

Got one. It cost me 12 quid. Whilst not in Hairy Neil's league, I am an aspiring GU anorak. I can also tell the difference between a Woolwich and a Northwich from three different perspectives, and I know Northwiches are 'better' but I still like Woolwiches.

Derek

Got the video and have it transferred onto DVD, but the book has evaded me for years. I narrowly missed a copy at the Braunston Historic boat show a few years ago, but have not even heard of a copy for sale since then.

Apparently, (and no doubt, Richard Fairhurst will correct me if I am wrong), Waterways World now hold the copyright, but have no immediate intentions to republish it. Perhaps they will re-consider when they have covered the GUCC in their quarterly journal "Narrowboat"

Got the video and have it transferred onto DVD, but the book has evaded me for years. I narrowly missed a copy at the Braunston Historic boat show a few years ago, but have not even heard of a copy for sale since then.

Apparently, (and no doubt, Richard Fairhurst will correct me if I am wrong), Waterways World now hold the copyright, but have no immediate intentions to republish it. Perhaps they will re-consider when they have covered the GUCC in their quarterly journal "Narrowboat"

I think I got mine via AbeBooks. It was the only copy available then. What I can't understand is why that one has been out of print for so long yet most of the others in the series are still easily available.

and I know Northwiches are 'better' but I still like Woolwiches.

Now I will put the cat amongst the pigeons. Who says Northwiches are better?

A Woolwich will carry a ton more cargo on any given draught thanks to its bluffer bow.

George ex nb Alton (Big Woolwich) retired

A Woolwich will carry a ton more cargo on any given draught thanks to its bluffer bow.

I can't remember who said it but I think it was more of an aesthetic judgement. Glad to know that my preference has some basis in fact then.

Hand on heart time..choice Between an Northwich Star class or a Large Woolwich

I really like both, they both have plusses and minuses imo

But we have a Large and wouldn't get rid of Baldock unless ill health/circumstances forced us to

I prefer the "bigs" to skinny Josher's but I am a GU souther after all :lol:

Chris

Hand on heart time..choice Between an Northwich Star class or a Large Woolwich

I really like both, they both have plusses and minuses imo

But we have a Large and wouldn't get rid of Baldock unless ill health/circumstances forced us to

I prefer the "bigs" to skinny Josher's but I am a GU souther after all :lol:

Chris

And as to whether I'm mad? What experience/advice would you give?

And as to whether I'm mad? What experience/advice would you give?

He's madder than you!

What more experience do you need?

(Please note, Baldock, that this statement was entirely tongue in cheek and I'm not worth suing)

He's madder than you!

What more experience do you need?

(Please note, Baldock, that this statement was entirely tongue in cheek and I'm not worth suing)

Your worth a Pound !!!!

and yes mate I am completely barking.....

As to WW state of sanity..... I am not sane enough to comment :lol:

You can put my name on the list George, They have a more attractive bow, a better proportioned back cabin, and they don't dent so easily., but Woolwiches are still nice.

David ex nb Pisces (small Northwich)

Edited by David Schweizer

You can put my name on the list George, They have a more attractive bow, a better proportioned back cabin, and they don't dent so easily., but Woolwiches are still nice.

David ex nb Pisces (small Northwich)

My impression is that Northwich GU boats suffer more from corrosion between knees and plating than do their Woolwich brethren. Where does the 'don't dent so easily' bit come from?

I reckon people favour the Northwich because the bow makes them a sort of 'poor man's Josher' :lol:

My favourite is the small Woolwich, but then I did once own one (also a large Woolwich for a while though no huge affection for that).

Tim

(ex Themis and Dover)

My impression is that Northwich GU boats suffer more from corrosion between knees and plating than do their Woolwich brethren. Where does the 'don't dent so easily' bit come from?

I reckon people favour the Northwich because the bow makes them a sort of 'poor man's Josher' :lol:

My favourite is the small Woolwich, but then I did once own one (also a large Woolwich for a while though no huge affection for that).

Tim

(ex Themis and Dover)

Poor man's Josher Where does that come from?

The reason I prefer Northwich bows is because the stem post rises above the fore deck gunwhales and returns in a semi circle, wheras the Woolwich stem post looks as if the top has been sliced off. I also prefer the rope locker hatch with it's box sides rather than the Woolwich hatch which is merely bent over a bit. Just pesonal preference but nohing like a Josher.

Observation suggests that The Woolwich back ends suffered more from denting than their Northwich counterparts, I always assumed that it was because the Northwich's were built from Iron, wheras the Woolwich's were built from Steel, but that may be a myth. someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by David Schweizer

I always assumed that it was because the Northwich's were built from Iron, wheras the Woolwich's were built from Steel, but that may be a myth. someone will correct me if I am wrong.

My understanding is that all the Towns were steel, irrespective of builder, (except the wooden ones, Carl, before you correct me......).

The Yarwoods Stars were I believe all iron composites, (except the Middle Northwich, which I believe were steel). The Woolwich Stars were some iron composite, and some steel composite.

Unless the books wrong, which is possible !

So I don't think the ease with which they did or did not dent has much to do with the metal in use.

Personally I've always had a soft spot for the Woolwich boats, but I guess that's because that's what my brothers had. I had always understood they lasted less well though, so Tim's remarks that Northwich knees are more prone to damage is interesting. I'm surprised to hear a Woolwich can carry a measurably bigger load - I thought the profile of each was similar, so I live and learn.

I don't understand the "poor man's Josher" bit though - no offence but they are (all) much nicer boats than Joshers. :lol:

Alan

I hired a Woolwich called Bristol twice in the 1980's, someone will tell us whether it was large or small Woolwich, from Black Prince Narrowboats - firstly from Acton Bridge and secondly from Stoke Prior when we heard it was to be sold out of service. Now in the Newbury area privately owned?

Currently paired with Argo on the GU. The K&A was just too shallow.

The intermediate owners made a few changes for living on board, the bunk room became a bathroom and the forward toilet compartment went to allow the galley to double in size with a Rayburn in it.

Soon to be advertised at Wawickshire Fly.

<So we're hoping for someone madder than WW to come along???> :lol:

The bluffer Woolwich bow is kinder to the gate woodwork when 'assisting them to open'....

Simon.

Soon to be advertised at Wawickshire Fly.

<So we're hoping for someone madder than WW to come along???> :lol:

The bluffer Woolwich bow is kinder to the gate woodwork when 'assisting them to open'....

Simon.

I'm hoping that the madness is catching.....