Reversing Using A Sea Anchor

Serendipity

Featured Posts

A change of mooring means I now have some extensive reversing to contend with. This isn't normally a problem since I tried out a trick I learnt here which was to do it fast. Sure enough, once I've got the line setup it is much more controllable, except when the wind gusts up.

I was just wondering whether something like a bucket with holes chucked off the bow on ten feet of line might help?

A change of mooring means I now have some extensive reversing to contend with. This isn't normally a problem since I tried out a trick I learnt here which was to do it fast. Sure enough, once I've got the line setup it is much more controllable, except when the wind gusts up.

I was just wondering whether something like a bucket with holes chucked off the bow on ten feet of line might help?

I wonder the same - let us know if you try it. You may want slightly short rope.

Once when reversing from Shireoaks to the next lock up (it wasn't open at the time) we used a small paddle off the bow to try and steer the boat. I could not hold it tight enough to get any decent steerage - the force of water at 2 mph is quite something - it did help though.

Mike

Did you have any holes in the bottom like this 'un, as I think the drag might be more effective with them? Whether it works even so though, I'll try at some point.

I find my boat goes deliciously straight if someone stands on the left hand side gunwhale by the cabin and doesn't move. I suppose it isn't quite the same as a bucket with holes in, but it can be a bit more manageable - although the general public sometimes need a bit of persuasion to come for a boat ride with a mad women who wants to go backwards.

Did you have any holes in the bottom like this 'un, as I think the drag might be more effective with them? Whether it works even so though, I'll try at some point.

I use a mud weight works well every time, the barges on the River Hull use the same sort of thing to travel up stream on the flood tide..(stern first)

cheers

I find my boat goes deliciously straight if someone stands on the left hand side gunwhale by the cabin and doesn't move. I suppose it isn't quite the same as a bucket with holes in, but it can be a bit more manageable - although the general public sometimes need a bit of persuasion to come for a boat ride with a mad women who wants to go backwards.

If you're not stood by the cabin, where are you standing? :lol:

certainly worth trying.

I had a speedboat many years ago and to get it skimming on a flat lake I used to sit on the outboard. Not recommended, but I could steer it by leaning left or right. A slight difference to the side to side trim will definitely cause the boat to steer, or go straight, as you wish.

Unfortunately my fat boat is insensitive to one person's weight on the gunwale.

Years ago I used to work on the paddle steamers travelling to and from the Isle of Wight. These having fixed paddles were virtually unmanouverable going backwards so had a rudder on the bow as well as the stern. It was locked in place by a large pin screwed down from the foredeck and we used to be directed as to which way to steer by the officer on the bridge.

Wouldn't take to much for some inventive boat builder to design something similar.

Oggie.

Years ago I used to work on the paddle steamers travelling to and from the Isle of Wight. These having fixed paddles were virtually unmanouverable going backwards so had a rudder on the bow as well as the stern. It was locked in place by a large pin screwed down from the foredeck and we used to be directed as to which way to steer by the officer on the bridge.

Wouldn't take to much for some inventive boat builder to design something similar.

Oggie.

The Paddle Steamer Waverly was due to have one fitted a few years back, I don't know it the work was ever carried out.

I use a mud weight works well every time, the barges on the River Hull use the same sort of thing to travel up stream on the flood tide..(stern first)

cheers

Ships also drag their anchors to improve manoeuvrability, but I wouldn't try it on the BCN as it wouldn't be long before getting hung on a trolley reef (at best).

Cheers,

Mike

The cross channel ferries have a small rudder ford for use when moving astern (its locked when going ahead). It also has a small propellor to ensure the flow over the surface is linear, this makes the rudder effective.

The use of a mud anchor jettisoned from the bows when going astern and swinging the boat to go into a berth stern first is one I've been considering for some time. It'll work if I get the timing just right. I had thought of using a rope secured to the bows, with a mud anchor part way along the rope and the other end with me at the stern.

Pull on the rope and the weight falls in. If you get it wrong pull on the rope again and suspend the mud anchor under the boat so its out of the way.

Maybe I'll try it in tixall wide first with lots of room if it goes wrong. :lol:

cheers

Yeah, mud weights are used a lot in this fashion down here on the Broads

certainly worth trying.

I had a speedboat many years ago and to get it skimming on a flat lake I used to sit on the outboard. Not recommended, but I could steer it by leaning left or right. A slight difference to the side to side trim will definitely cause the boat to steer, or go straight, as you wish.

Unfortunately my fat boat is insensitive to one person's weight on the gunwale.

I agree that altering the trim effects the direction of a boat, I have often travelled miles in my dinghy steering by merely shifting my weight, it means that in the Winter both hands can be in my pockets.

Ships also drag their anchors to improve manoeuvrability, but I wouldn't try it on the BCN as it wouldn't be long before getting hung on a trolley reef (at best).

Cheers,

Mike

wasn't it on the Sharpness that someone pulled the plug out and drained the canal accidentally?

I am not sure, gieven the beam of a narrowboat this would be as effective but I'll post it anyway

Some years ago I sailed a motor cruiser back home when the rudder came off (after a collision with a fishing net) using a drogue made out of a large bucket with big holes in the base and sides

It was at its most effective when a continous line was used and the two ends fed back to the rear steering position through blocks attached to the central cleats midships on each beam.

By taking in one side or the other the angle of leverage changed sufficiently to enable the boat to be steered slowly but positively.

That being said she was 12ft wide so the angles were greater.

I have no doubt that the same system would work on a reversing narrowboat but possibly not as well for the reasons described above