the cost

terryvanman

Featured Posts

can anyone tell me the rough/average/near as dam it cost per year it is to live on a canal boat

as a permanent cruiser, this is after you have paid for the boat

I'm talking about the day to day cost,

licence

fuel

gas

replacing 4 leisure batteries every 5 years

blacking

service and certificates etc

has anyone worked out the yearly cost over say...a five year plan

I'm trying to work out a budget

thanks

terry

Me 'n' the missus reckon about £5k pa, 60' nb, liveaboard (24/7) ccers, DIY maintenance.

• 2 years later...

thanks one and all

will look into it some more

only 2.11 years to go

Apologies to one and all for dragging up this old thread.

Terry, I was re-directed to this thread from another site and noticed, by sheer chance, that it's now "2.11 years" later. Any news/progress to report?

can anyone tell me the rough/average/near as dam it cost per year it is to live on a canal boat

as a permanent cruiser, this is after you have paid for the boat

I'm talking about the day to day cost,

licence

fuel

gas

replacing 4 leisure batteries every 5 years

blacking

service and certificates etc

has anyone worked out the yearly cost over say...a five year plan

I'm trying to work out a budget

thanks

terry

Hi Terry

As others have said this is impossible to say. There are far too many variables. I can only add one thing realy and it is this. If you do n ot want a sudden minimilist lifestyle but wish to live similar to in a house if you add all costs together and possible depreciation of boat then the cost is about the same as living in a 2/3 bedroom house. As I have said to many people over the years it is NOT a cheaper lifestyle than a house just a BETTER one IF you like it. I think the many and growing number of people that look at living aboard as a cheap option and dont realy want to live on a boat just do it because they think its cheap soon realise their error and leave the system. I know a hell of a lot of people who I have met over the years and still in touch with that found it a costly lesson. I love these old threads they help others out. :cheers:

Edited by mrsmelly

yes sad to say, am in the process of selling Marmaduke. I will miss him very much, in the two and a half years I have owned him I've had a blast even if it was just for the odd weekend and extended few weeks holiday....but the back injury has put paid to any more owning a canal boat, but I will keep in touch and pop in and make stupid remarks and sit back and take the flack like a man.....and the plan is [if I can get a crew together ] I will rent a boat [river or canal] and have the odd holiday.....

take care and dont fall in...till the water warms up a bit

..before the sneering little shits elsewhere use it against me.

Tut Tut.

I hope you know these people, because I seem to remember you saying "I merely pointed out the inconsiderate nature of someone who is happy to call strangers "Dickheads"" in another thread.

"Sneering little shits" is just constructive criticism then, is it?

yes sad to say, am in the process of selling Marmaduke. I will miss him very much, in the two and a half years I have owned him I've had a blast even if it was just for the odd weekend and extended few weeks holiday....but the back injury has put paid to any more owning a canal boat, but I will keep in touch and pop in and make stupid remarks and sit back and take the flack like a man.....and the plan is [if I can get a crew together ] I will rent a boat [river or canal] and have the odd holiday.....

take care and dont fall in...till the water warms up a bit

Sorry to hear that, Terry. Good luck assembling your holiday crew.

On the subject of costs, I have recently been astounded at the monstrous difference in car insurance premium for those living on a boat compared to those on the bank. A friend of ours will be paying far more than our teenage son!!

Richard

On the subject of costs, I have recently been astounded at the monstrous difference in car insurance premium for those living on a boat compared to those on the bank. A friend of ours will be paying far more than our teenage son!!

Eep! Hadn't considered this! Does anyone else have experience of this matter?

Well I suppose as long as they don't get suspicious about an address that includes the lines "Pier D, Erewhon Marina"...

My address, for a number of years, was "c/o British Waterways, The Stop House, Braunston, etc.

If the question "What type of home do you live in?" appeared on a form then I would have answered "a boat".

One thing that did annoy me, though was, during a telephone quote, I was informed that keeping my car in a locked barn, behind a locked gate, did not count as "in a garage" so I paid as if it was stored on the road.