Outrageous new mooring fees

stripey

Featured Posts

the marina is just to the right out of shot , it just looked bleak and spoiled the view so never kept a pic with it on .

only 2 boats in there and the pub with it doors wide open was morgue quiet with little , no sign of customers so it was onwards to tesco for the steaks to cook ourselves.

DSCF6414.jpg

Suspect they may well drop the price soon then.

When you break the price down into pounds per metre its £212 per metre. Thats VERY expensive. Even our moorings are less than that and at £134 per metre they are not cheap. Plus you get excellent security, two pubs, resteraunt, shops, nice surroundings.

The first marina on the Huddersfield Narrow (Frenches Wharf at Greenfield) is due to open for moorings any time now, and the owners have quoted an entrance fee of £250 plus £3500 per annum, all payable up front.

A friend of mine has discovered this. It strikes me as a very high price to pay - what do others think? :lol:

HI WE PAY 2500 PA AND HAVE NO FACILATIES AT ALL KEEP BEING PROMISED SERVICES BUT HAVE BEEN THERE A YEAR THIS WEEK AND STILL NOTHING

HI WE PAY 2500 PA AND HAVE NO FACILATIES AT ALL KEEP BEING PROMISED SERVICES BUT HAVE BEEN THERE A YEAR THIS WEEK AND STILL NOTHING

If you have something in writing or several of you have been told the same thing, I suggest breach of contract or offer to pay less.

Sue

The HCN pricing makes a kind of Machiavellian sense, given it is up front.

They are probably running it like a Dutch Auction - take 3000+ UP FRONT from anyone daft enough to pay it, then reduce prices over time to fill the places.

As a note of warning, though - on the coast, a company called Marina Developments PLC raised prices like this in the 90s, and *did* fill their marinas. Inland, places can fill with unofficial houseboaters (many of whom might be expected to be able to afford it, given they are not looking after a house or paying a big mortgage) and time-share boats, which seem to be becoming ever-more common.

Without wanting to be vindicative to any *particular* company or marina, I hope one high-profile developer of this sort goes bust spectacularly enough to scare others off the fleece-the-boater game.

Of course, if we (boaters, IWA, RBOA etc) didn't keep encouraging more and more people to buy boats, the supply and demand issue would not keep working against us in terms of mooring prices....

I pay less than that for fully serviced, in London. Yes it's alot.

Really? Where are you? I pay around £6k fully serviced but still

Oh, and I LOVE living in London on my boat. Nothing to be sorry about in the slightest.

On the Lee, in Lee Valley Park, in Tottenham. Lee moorings are alot cheaper than other London moorings, perhaps because they are in glamourous places such as Lower Clapton and Ponders End.

It is never, ever, not full. If anyone moves, BW invariably move a boat here from somewhere else, such is the shortage. The moorings never get chance to be put up for auction.

oops sorry, saw this afterwards.

On the Lee, in Lee Valley Park, in Tottenham. Lee moorings are alot cheaper than other London moorings, perhaps because they are in glamourous places such as Lower Clapton and Ponders End.

It is never, ever, not full. If anyone moves, BW invariably move a boat here from somewhere else, such is the shortage. The moorings never get chance to be put up for auction.

So dont ALL vacated moorings end up going up for tender?.

• 3 months later...
If people are willing to pay the price (or close to it) they wont knock it down. Prices tend to be set to the market conditions. If there is a lot of demand for moorings in the area the price will be higher.

As of mid December, the only boat there is the Uppermill trip boat, which I think has a special arrangement. Price has come down to £3000, but no-one's daft enough to pay that.

As of mid December, the only boat there is the Uppermill trip boat, which I think has a special arrangement. Price has come down to £3000, but no-one's daft enough to pay that.

Not so much a special arrangement as the fact that the trip boat is owned by the guy who is trying to hire out berths at £3000 per annum!

I actaully went down to have a look myself at this marina/mooring. the thing is Uppermill, very prettty town, lovely area, but only 2 boats there. All facilities including residential, but completely open to the public so no security and no shelter so the wind can blow across there like seven buggers.

IN its favour though it did have available residential moorings - no surpirse there then.

Uppermill is a wonderful town, we stopped there a for few days this summer. We even nearly bought a canalside house there 5 years ago, which had an end-of-garden mooring but it was too short for us.

We were also put off the house by the number of locks to be passed before travelling anywhere.

Where paying a rate that would work out at around around £2000 a year which if for an end-on mooring with no serices at all.

- I would £2500 would be a good price, £3000 expesive but prehaps understanable, but £3500 really rather steep. Certainly as an unfront payment.

Whats the £250 for?

Daniel