Old 1970s Negatives - Part 1

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I'm going through some negatives of film shot in the first half of the 1970s.

It's not great quality, but as a lot of people have privately expressed interest in previously posted ones, I thought I would share some more.

The first one is a mystery boat, a newly built 'PE26' in Aylesbury.

I seem to recall this was another attempt at producing a budget boat a la Springer - presumably it's 26 feet long.

The bows look to have been built in China by the same lot who built those early Chinese imports of more recent years, lacking any kind of stem post.

The back looks a bit high for easy lock working.

Can anybody add anything about a 'PE26', please. I suspect it was actually built in Aylesbury, but I'm not sure.

Alan

PE26.jpg

There was a chap who built cruisers in the basin, and it may well be his initials 'PE'. Had a strange sounding name from a hazy memory, sounded Greek almost. Brian Barnes of the Aylesbury Canal Society is the chap to contact.

I see Wolseley/Riley 1.5, and a Minor, a Bedford CA camper, and something American. Can't see the clubhouse there, perhaps it hadn't gone up.

That's the back of Jackson's bakery the cars are facing, and the builders merchants/timber yard beyond.

Derek

I'm going through some negatives of film shot in the first half of the 1970s.

It's not great quality, but as a lot of people have privately expressed interest in previously posted ones, I thought I would share some more.

The first one is a mystery boat, a newly built 'PE26' in Aylesbury.

I seem to recall this was another attempt at producing a budget boat a la Springer - presumably it's 26 feet long.

The bows look to have been built in China by the same lot who built those early Chinese imports of more recent years, lacking any kind of stem post.

The back looks a bit high for easy lock working.

Can anybody add anything about a 'PE26', please. I suspect it was actually built in Aylesbury, but I'm not sure.

Alan

PE26.jpg

That photo was taken from behind My Uncle's Motor Cycle workshops, or where it used to be depending when in the 1970's it was taken. Have you any of the end of the baisin which the building backed onto. The whole lot was compulsry purchased when they widened the main road, but they still found enough space to build that hideous office tower (for the IRS I believe)

That photo was taken from behind My Uncle's Motor Cycle workshops, or where it used to be depending when in the 1970's it was taken. Have you any of the end of the baisin which the building backed onto. The whole lot was compulsry purchased when they widened the main road, but they still found enough space to build that hideous office tower (for the IRS I believe)

I'm not sure I can help too much, David.

I can't find anything better than this.

(And yes, our boat really did have no front window when we did this trip, plus seems to have got a plastic bag stuffed into the problematic window mounted ventilator that was a feature of Water Baby boats).

I marvel at our stamina - the boat was berthed at Cow Roast, but we thought nothing of a return trip to Aylesbury in a day, (46 locks).

In fact there are pictures that prove we used to go down to virtually Rickmansworth and back in a day - I'll have to look that one up on CanalPlanAC !

None of us drove, so we had to get to and from Cow Roast on the bus or Green line, sometimes with the outboard as hand luggage. :lol:

Aylesbury_as_was.jpg

I think the something American might actually be German Ford. Taunus?

Close, but the Taunus SP5 had a set of rear lamps that came round the ends MKIII Cortina style and showed from the side. Apart from some expensive Italian sports cars (unlikely in the basin!) I favour an American, Dodge Charger? Maybe the lights are wrong for that, not flashy enough. Dunno. Thought of Opel Manta, but again the bumper and slope of the coupe doesn't fit.

That's a lovely shot of the basin end Alan. I see there was what looks like a petrol station across the road in Walton Street.

Compare that with 1983/5:

AylesburyBoats0002Small.jpg

1986/7:

AylesburyforeendsSmall.jpg

Too much water:

Kingfisher House on the left (Inland Rev. as someone has stated) and the 'Blue Leanie' across the road. Prudential I think.

Spider0004.jpg

I think the only thing left standing down there is the FMC warehouse.

How much of the basin was taken by the new road, or by the office block please ?

I seem to recall published pictures of working boats in an all-over covered warehouse somewhere down at the end, (but may be imagining it!).

Interesting quote from the current edition of the ACS magazine (article written by Bryan Barnes):

"The Society's first battle was with the architect who designed Kingisher House (the offices at the end of the Arm). He didn't believe in fences and wanted us to remove all our security fencing so it wouldn't obstruct the view to and from his building. The compromise was the small inlet at the end of the basin, which collects so much water but acts as a water barrier. This was put in when the end of the canal was redesigned to keep the same water area when filling in the short seven foot wide channel that extended under the area now occupied by Kingfisher House."

Close, but the Taunus SP5 had a set of rear lamps that came round the ends MKIII Cortina style and showed from the side. Apart from some expensive Italian sports cars (unlikely in the basin!) I favour an American, Dodge Charger? Maybe the lights are wrong for that, not flashy enough. Dunno. Thought of Opel Manta, but again the bumper and slope of the coupe doesn't fit.

That's a lovely shot of the basin end Alan. I see there was what looks like a petrol station across the road in Walton Street.

1986/7:

AylesburyforeendsSmall.jpg

Too much water:

Kingfisher House on the left (Inland Rev. as someone has stated) and the 'Blue Leanie' across the road. Prudential I think.

Spider0004.jpg

I think the only thing left standing down there is the FMC warehouse.

I don't think it is a Dodge Charger, it has got the sticky up ends to the bumper, but the lights are wrong, and as with most classic American cars, the number plate is below the bumper.

Dodge%20Charger.jpg

I favour an Opel Rekord C Coupe

Opel%20Rekord%20C%20Coupe1.jpg

1971%20Opel%20Rekord%20C%20Coupe.jpg

Edited by Neil Arlidge

Aylesbury_as_was.jpg

Thanks Alan, that looks like it at the very far end on the left hand side, it was a single storey timber building, and if I recollect correctly, and it backed ont the towpath. Next time I see my cousin, I will ask her if she has any old photos of the workshops and the basin.

My cousin remembers playing with the boat children in the summer holidays when she was quite small, but sha cannot remember any of their names. her friend actually worked for Harvey Taylors when she left school, but she cannot remember any names either.

<Snip>

<Snip>

All the old buildings in this picture, with the exception of the ACS clubhouse, have now been demolished and a new theatre is currently being constructed in their place. The buildings demolished included the Ship Inn which was no great loss!

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

(And yes, our boat really did have no front window when we did this trip, plus seems to have got a plastic bag stuffed into the problematic window mounted ventilator that was a feature of Water Baby boats).

I marvel at our stamina - the boat was berthed at Cow Roast, but we thought nothing of a return trip to Aylesbury in a day, (46 locks).

In fact there are pictures that prove we used to go down to virtually Rickmansworth and back in a day - I'll have to look that one up on CanalPlanAC !

None of us drove, so we had to get to and from Cow Roast on the bus or Green line, sometimes with the outboard as hand luggage. :lol:

Aylesbury_as_was.jpg

Hi,

This picture brought back a lot of memories. I used to walk a long this stretch of canal most luchtimes in 1964 to buy a roll at Jackson's the Bakers. thus avoiding school dinners. Looking at the picture carefully the buildings at the end of the basin have gone, they comprised a covered dock (where working boats were often being converted) and an adjoining store where Mick Riley (David's uncle?) had a motorcyle repair/ sales shop.

Infront of the covered dock was a crane.

The Walton Street widening may be underway, there is a motor cycle dealership across the road which has yet to be demolished. I used to buy spares form both Mick Riley and the other dealership.

I suspect this picture dates from about 1966.

It's all change now. The only remaining FMC buiding standing is to be demolished shortly and the whole basin will almost be lost when (if) ACS move out.

Thanks Alan..

Leo

Having had another good look at the picture the roadworks may have been completed and a petrol station has replaced the dealership this petrol outlet was unique locally as it was one of the first locally to be self service and had a car-wash. this opened about 1967.

Edited by LEO

I suspect this picture dates from about 1966.

Nope, not that old, I'm afraid.

I didn't own the camera on which these were taken until late 1971, at the very earliest.

Could be 1971 or 1972, I'm not sure, but 100% certain it's no earlier.

Alan

How much of the basin was taken by the new road, or by the office block please ?

I seem to recall published pictures of working boats in an all-over covered warehouse somewhere down at the end, (but may be imagining it!).

The section of water that was filled in extended about 100 feet at a guess, from the existing 'end' towards the road, and was covered, though none was taken by the existing office block, that was built on already taken water. Edit: corrected by Brians 'comment'.

There was indeed a covered section, a warehouse stood at the furthest end. I might have a picture in a booklet somewhere, or ACS will certainly have something. There stood a crane by the entrance to the basin, which lasted until the late eighties. It was removed for preservation, and I don't think it ever got put back.

Found!

These shots come from a little 32 page booklet entitled "The Aylesbury & Wendover Canals" published by the Aylesbury Canal Society ISBN 0 9506562 0 8, and authored by Bob (Binky) & Elizabeth Bush, and are copyright to the ACS. All funds and interest gratefully received.

Sorry the text is so small, couldn't get 'Paint' to obey my commands.

There is one shot from the corner of the basin looking towards the end of the canal showing the covered section of canal alongside the warehouse (demolished in the late sixties) with Greenshank & Coot plus one other in the foreground. The buildings on the far side may well include Harvey Taylor's, but uncertain.

The other two shots are taken from the weir, looking first at the covered warehouse with canopy, and the smaller 'L' shaped building that was the office & WC, and the second angled slightly to the right, cutting out the office, and showing the Ship Inn and managers house.

The heavy dark line I have draw in is the approximate limit of navigation from the late sixties (the little wide bit seems to be some compensation for losing the length) when the canopied warehouse, and I believe other adjacent buildings were demolished.

AYbasin0003edited.jpg

Shot 1

AYbasin0001Medium.jpg

Shot 2 (very small photo) Canopy & office

AYbasin0002.jpg

Shot 3 Ship Inn & managers house, plus sundry.

AYbasin20001Medium.jpg

This has long gone too!

AylesburyNOCYCLINGSmall.jpg

Edited by Derek R.

It was not HBOS when built, Equitable Life - that was it! Thank you.

Opel Record C Coupe! That must be the one - Thanks Neil.

Derek

It's HBOS Now:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/272799

At the time it was being built I was working on the construction of a couple of sites in Central London designed by the same Architectural practice (GMW) and remember that it was taking a lot of stick!

Tim