BW Marple Yard

NB Alton

Featured Posts

Hi, This is my first post so hope I get it right.

Just to let people know that BW (as a joint venture H2O) are proposing to develop Marple Yard on the Macclesfield Canal, by building 9 houses on the current wharf. This will mean the loss of one of the few usable loading wharfs, the loss of a well used service block (water point, toilet and elsan disposal) and the trip boat for the disabled New Horizons will lose it's current mooring. In addition it is proposed to convert the historic boat dock building into 2 houses.

For more information see the marple-uk.com website - Visit Website

Personally the loss of this site and its facilities would have a significant impact on me and my business supplying coal and diesel from NB Alton, it also seems to be a wasted opportunity to use the site for historical interpretation (such as historic boat repair, fendermaking workshop or blacksmiths forge etc). Alternatively a combined tourism / community use could be found especially for the wonderful historic building.

I believe planning permission has not yet been given / applied for and comments can be made to BW at mailto:enquiries.northwest@britishwaterways.co.uk .

Cheers, Brian

See my blog

I visited the Marple Warehouse and wharf very recently. The inside of the warehouse is in very good condition with office, toilets and staff mess room upstairs and workshop facility and wet dock on the ground floor. The local BW staff have a sense of history ( & humour) too - there was an LNER notice in the office threatening a fine of up to 40shillings for any person found throwing a dog, cat or any other animal in the canal. The whole wharf area is full of history- even the barriers to stop vehicles going into the canal are WW2 tank traps . It would be a real shame if the area was redeveloped with just the shell of the warehouse as a reminder of the past.

I suspect there will be a lot of local opposition to the proposals- Marple folk love their locks and canal and always have done- remember that the seeds for restoration of the Peak Forest Canal were sown at Marple in the early 1960's by local people. Hopefully the Marple Locks Society and the Macclesfield CS can co-ordinate suitable opposition.

The other side of the coin is that BW have a very valuable piece of land in an essentially residential area and any accountant with no sense of history would be looking very closely at the site and seeing only £ signs.

The place should stay just as it is , that would be my preferred outcome.

Bill

Looks like any comments needed to be posted before 9 February. Besides the loss of the sanitary station (although not very sanitary when I used it last autumn) are the people who buy these houses then going to complain about the 'dirty' boats mooring opposite?

I have written to the local planning office objecting to this development and pointing out that the site should be considered nationally as part of the entire canal heritage infrastructure. To my knowledge BW have not consulted any waterwaays organisations over this.Do English Heritage know - or care? Is the Waterways Trust involved? How can they decide to effectively destroy a listed building and wharf, which they hold in trust for us, without consultation? I did point out that they made the plans available for a few hours in the local office - a typical BW consultation exercise then.Regards, HughC

I have written to the local planning office objecting to this development and pointing out that the site should be considered nationally as part of the entire canal heritage infrastructure. To my knowledge BW have not consulted any waterwaays organisations over this.Do English Heritage know - or care? Is the Waterways Trust involved? How can they decide to effectively destroy a listed building and wharf, which they hold in trust for us, without consultation? I did point out that they made the plans available for a few hours in the local office - a typical BW consultation exercise then.Regards, HughC

I will keep watching for the planning application...

The loss of the sanitary station would be a huge problem, as there are no facilities for many miles. Boaters doing the Cheshire ring would be particularly hard hit, with at least 13 cruising hours between Bosley and Fairfield for elsan disposal, whilst boaters travelling from the Macc to the HNC can look forward to over 15 hours between Elsan points.

This would be bad news for us, as it will lead to a lot of boats with full loos coming alongside at our mooring, clambering over, and dumping at our disposal point (and it just isn't up to any extra traffic).

The Conservation and Heritage Manager at Stockport Council replied to my concern about this application by saying that, and I paraphrase, 'whilst he understood that the proposal had raised concern and some discussion BW had set up only a local consultation' He suggested that all comments on the application should be addressed to enquiries.northwest@britishwaterways.co.uk. Does this mean that BW can now ignore local planning laws. I thought that the local planning department made these decisions. I suspect that writing to BW will be a total waste of time since, as the recent customer survey shows they ignore the views of boaters when it suits them to do so. Regards, HughC

• 2 weeks later...
The Conservation and Heritage Manager at Stockport Council replied to my concern about this application by saying that, and I paraphrase, 'whilst he understood that the proposal had raised concern and some discussion BW had set up only a local consultation' He suggested that all comments on the application should be addressed to enquiries.northwest@britishwaterways.co.uk. Does this mean that BW can now ignore local planning laws. I thought that the local planning department made these decisions. I suspect that writing to BW will be a total waste of time since, as the recent customer survey shows they ignore the views of boaters when it suits them to do so. Regards, HughC

Although I am just as much a critic of BW as the next person I think you will find that they are not by-passing the planning system. A local consultation gives them evidence to include with a subsequent planning application.

It is therefore essential to e-mail objections to BW so that they will be unable to show support for their application. Once the planning application is made it will be posted on www.stockport.gov.uk which provides facilities to comment. Local people particularly will find it useful to also convey their objections direct to local councillors.

Ignore the suggested deadline of 9th Feb as this does not comply with the Code of Practice on Consultations issued by the Cabinet Office.

IWA's web site ("Campaigning for the use, maintenance and restoration of Britain's inland waterways") does not show any

awareness of the proposals but they do want you to buy their products! I wonder if BW consulted them as stakeholders?

Although I am just as much a critic of BW as the next person I think you will find that they are not by-passing the planning system. A local consultation gives them evidence to include with a subsequent planning application.

It is therefore essential to e-mail objections to BW so that they will be unable to show support for their application. Once the planning application is made it will be posted on www.stockport.gov.uk which provides facilities to comment. Local people particularly will find it useful to also convey their objections direct to local councillors.

Ignore the suggested deadline of 9th Feb as this does not comply with the Code of Practice on Consultations issued by the Cabinet Office.

IWA's web site ("Campaigning for the use, maintenance and restoration of Britain's inland waterways") does not show any

awareness of the proposals but they do want you to buy their products! I wonder if BW consulted them as stakeholders?

So would the objections from boaters then be shown to the local planners I think not, so what would be the point in objecting to the plans to BW they`d only get lost in file 13 surely.

Bw are already aware of many concerns over there "proposals"on many matters which boaters object to and are totally ignored

British Waterways, like all Public Utilities, do have some Planning powers. However, they only relate to emergency operational requirements, not to development outside this limited remit.

Having said that I have been involved on three occassions (in my former capacity as Parish Clerk) in stopping BW from abusing these powers, and attemptuing to circumnnavigate the correct proceedures. In one instance the Local Planning Office gave consent, in the other two, which were far more contentiouis, BW dropped the proposals.

I would suggest that anyone who is concerned should contact the Local Planning Officer, ask if any application has been submitted, and alert them if you think that BW are trying to evade the correct Planning process. Also ask them to nottify you if, or when, an application is submitted, the period for objections is quite short.

So would the objections from boaters then be shown to the local planners I think not, so what would be the point in objecting to the plans to BW they`d only get lost in file 13 surely.

Bw are already aware of many concerns over there "proposals"on many matters which boaters object to and are totally ignored

As already explained BW cannot give themselves Planning Consent for non operational developments. They must submit an application to the local Planning Office, and any objection must be made to that Office. The Local Planning office is then obliged by Law to make all objections available to the Planning Committee.

You are also legally entitled to attend the Planning Meeting and adress the Committee with any objections, prior to the decision being taken. If you have never been to a Planning Meeting before, try attending one, before the one you wish to speak at, to get a feel for how they work, and seek advice from the Planning Officer on how you should present your case. From experience they will be very helpful.

Edited by David Schweizer

David's comments are very helpful, although from my experience I am not sure that you could rely on the Planning Department to notify receipt of an application, other than to neighbouring residents.

It is very simple.

1.Complaining to BW prevents them from claiming in their application to the Council that no interest has been shown. This is only a "blocking" operation and, yes, it is more than likely that BW will ignore the objections. This does not stop local Councillors from asking BW for the result of their "consultation".

2.Once the Planning Application is made objections can be lodged via the Council's web site. An important application like this one is likely to go to Committee but, depending on local protocol, this will have to happen if the local ward councillor(s) or Parish Council lodge objections.

So, there are two chances for everybody to object together with the opportunity for locals to apply pressure to their councillors.

Note to Site Crew: would this topic not get more attention under e.g. General Boating?

David's comments are very helpful, although from my experience I am not sure that you could rely on the Planning Department to notify receipt of an application, other than to neighbouring residents.

It is very simple.

1.Complaining to BW prevents them from claiming in their application to the Council that no interest has been shown. This is only a "blocking" operation and, yes, it is more than likely that BW will ignore the objections. This does not stop local Councillors from asking BW for the result of their "consultation".

2.Once the Planning Application is made objections can be lodged via the Council's web site. An important application like this one is likely to go to Committee but, depending on local protocol, this will have to happen if the local ward councillor(s) or Parish Council lodge objections.

So, there are two chances for everybody to object together with the opportunity for locals to apply pressure to their councillors.

Note to Site Crew: would this topic not get more attention under e.g. General Boating?

Unless the rules have changed recently, the Planning Authority is obliged to inform you when an application has been submitted, and where the plans may be inspected, if you register an interest.

However I agree that raising the matter with either the Chair of the Parish Council, and your Local District/Unitary Authority Councillor, shouild guarantee you being informed when the plans have been submitted.

Personaly, I would do all three.

BW never change their spots. Short term gain for them = long term loss for boaters.

But what do they care - we have paid for our licences and no-where on them does it say BW have to provide facilities so they can give or take them as they wish.

They are not the only ones who seem to ignore us. We recently found the SSSI on our canal - which was used as one reason to stop restoration and boats using a section - was withdrawn some years back around the time BW said it could open (having kept it closed due to rare plants/SSSI status for years). Obviously all the plants got up and walked but, strangely no-one who lives in the area knew the SSSI status was removed.

As someone who has recently looked into the planning issues very close to this spot in Marple I know that it is also a Conservation Area.

Southport Council's Website has quite a bit of information about what they are likely to permit and I wouldn't imagine this plan would fit in with their ideas. They are, quite rightly very keen on their important canal heritage in Marple and have a very active local society.

Also as someone with a boat moored on the Macclesfield, it will be long way to facilities in several directions without Marple yard and may put a number of people off exploring this lovely bit of the canal system.

Liz

As someone who has recently looked into the planning issues very close to this spot in Marple I know that it is also a Conservation Area.

Southport Council's Website has quite a bit of information about what they are likely to permit and I wouldn't imagine this plan would fit in with their ideas. They are, quite rightly very keen on their important canal heritage in Marple and have a very active local society.

Also as someone with a boat moored on the Macclesfield, it will be long way to facilities in several directions without Marple yard and may put a number of people off exploring this lovely bit of the canal system.

Liz

If there is enough opposition, the plan would likely be killed stone dead, although I suspect that Stockport Council are more interested than Southport!

All this talk of the involvement of Planning Authorities, Parish Councils and the like:- I attended the north west user group meeting the other night, it was difficult not to get the strong impression that the issue of the Marple redevelopment is now settled.. One of the 'pronouncements' was that the sanitary station will remain but there will be no Elsan disposal, make of that what you will!

The lock ladders question, it turns out that the somewhat random nature of the positioning of the ladders is a result of what options were the lowest cost, the central issue of safety was not really mentioned.. No comments were made regards the total lack of any consultation.

Edited by John Orentas

All this talk of the involvement of Planning Authorities, Parish Councils and the like:- I attended the north west user group meeting the other night, it was difficult not to get the strong impression that the issue of the Marple redevelopment is now settled.. One of the 'pronouncements' was that the sanitary station will remain but there will be no Elsan disposal, make of that what you will!

So, it will be a water point only, and no BW elsan point between Bosley and Fairfield for boats doing the Cheshire Ring.

As if we don't have enough trouble on our mooring with people coming alongside clambering over the boats, and blocking our drain. Close Marple sani station, and it is going to be unbearable.

So, it will be a water point only, and no BW elsan point between Bosley and Fairfield for boats doing the Cheshire Ring.

As if we don't have enough trouble on our mooring with people coming alongside clambering over the boats, and blocking our drain. Close Marple sani station, and it is going to be unbearable.

Goes well with the bit on Narrowboat World about people emptying loos straight into the cut in London

although I suspect that Stockport Council are more interested than Southport!

whoops, typing error, I was thinking about flower shows too! Fortunately I did read Stockport Councils website.