Slowing down for moored boats

Steve3

Featured Posts

It's a term I picked up from the 'ex-pats' who used to moor up their huge palacial motor launches in the marina just outside Athens where we used to keep our 36 footer...Not meant particularly as an abusive term...all the 'ex pats' used to visit each others craft for drinkies between 4.00pm and 8.00pm before returning to their craft for dinner!

There was also a bit of 'throwing keys into a bowl' as well but I never got invited around to those sorts of drinking sessions!

See!!....See!!

Despite all their big toys the poor saps are still bored

PAH!!

Damn,

Had we realised someone else would come up with the goods for a track suit top, then we might have hung on to the track suit bottom that our propeller had an attempt at knitting with. (Might just have been a matching pair ?).

We also failed miserably to make anything useful out of our half of the ensemble, by the way.

We managed to knit a whole builders sack on the Ashton. A very pretty yellow colour it was too.

Edited by Lewis 53

• 2 months later...
There seem to be several styles adopted.

1) Drop the revs off just as the bow gets to the moored boat then straight back on when level with other end.

2) Dont slow unless there is signs of habitation.

3) Slow down a few boats lengths away to reduce overall hull speed and speed up when clear.

I tend to use 3 but rarely ever achieve the time taken on the Pearsons guide. Am I daft? or just a dying breed.

Like in this photo http://www.thebw.net/Canal1/canal141.html

I regularly wind up thinking someone has made no effort to slow down as I hear the drone of the engine approach, only to realise after they have passed and the engine note becomes even more frantic that they were going slowly. Can't help but think there are some very undersized engines and tiny props out there. (Stands by to retreat to bunker with tin hat on)

Mike.

If people are moored up correctly it shouldnt matter if people dont slow to a crawl to pass them. The boat may move but hey it is on water after all.

Sorry wrong :lol:

When your boat heels over to an alarming angle because some muppet goes past at such a speed that it sucks all the water away from under you and everything ends up on the floor you get fed up.

How will you feel when your properly moored boat sits on the rock that is 3" under your plastic hull :lol:

Sorry wrong :lol:

When your boat heels over to an alarming angle because some muppet goes past at such a speed that it sucks all the water away from under you and everything ends up on the floor you get fed up.

How will you feel when your properly moored boat sits on the rock that is 3" under your plastic hull :lol:

Well move the rock.

If you are moored up correctly the movement wont be excessive. You will go up and down but it is hardly the fault of the passing craft you have a rock beneath your boat.

If people are moored up correctly it shouldnt matter if people dont slow to a crawl to pass them. The boat may move but hey it is on water after all.

It is considerate and sensible to go slowly past moored boats. For one reason, as you approach you have no way of knowing if the boat is "moored up correctly" and there is always the chance that it may have been set adrift, or that it is in the process of being tied-up, possibly even someone is in the water having fallen overboard. Whatever the circumstances, you just don't know and going slowly is the only safe and considerate approach.

Normally I slow for every moored boat, but have always been curious as to the true effects of not doing so. In the nature of an experiment (it was an experimental boat I did this to) on my way down the W&B a week or so ago I was thumping along in the drizzle at an unusually impatient 1400rpm. I didn't slow as I passed the university of Birmingham's experimental hydrogen gas cell thingy, knowing it was i) empty and ii) well secured. It didn't half shift alarmingly. Not something you'd want to inflict on an ordinary boat at all, ie: one that wasn't an empty shell. I shall continue with the slow down behaviour as before.

I do as a matter of course slow down for moored boats but just think that sometimes people like moaning for the sake of it.

Try mooring up in Saxilby with the large petrol engined boats going past. They have a min speed of around 4mph. Have yet to see anyone moan at them to slow down.

Normally I slow for every moored boat, but have always been curious as to the true effects of not doing so. In the nature of an experiment (it was an experimental boat I did this to) on my way down the W&B a week or so ago I was thumping along in the drizzle at an unusually impatient 1400rpm. I didn't slow as I passed the university of Birmingham's experimental hydrogen gas cell thingy, knowing it was i) empty and ii) well secured. It didn't half shift alarmingly. Not something you'd want to inflict on an ordinary boat at all, ie: one that wasn't an empty shell. I shall continue with the slow down behaviour as before.

When I was moving Usk I'd just moored up (3' marquee spikes with springs) when a boat went past at full pelt.

My ropes held but I spilt my tea.

The boat moored up less than 200 yards up the cut so, after deciding I couldn't be bothered with the walk and shouting match, the following morning I conducted a similar experiment.

6am start and you could have surfed on the wave that was following me, as I passed their boat.

Needless to say their toothpicks didn't hold and, as I slowed back to my usual cruising crawl, I couldn't help but notice the little thrill that the permanent speed merchants must feel every time they pass another victim, as their boat drifted off towards the offside.

Try mooring up in Saxilby with the large petrol engined boats going past. They have a min speed of around 4mph. Have yet to see anyone moan at them to slow down.

I don't think we will get that far this year. We are planning to moor in or around Lincoln during the first week of June so we should see some fairly fast boats on the Trent en-route.

I don't think we will get that far this year. We are planning to moor in or around Lincoln during the first week of June so we should see some fairly fast boats on the Trent en-route.

If you make it to Lincoln you will have come through Saxilby.

Will keep an eye out for you and give you a wave.

Well move the rock.

If you are moored up correctly the movement wont be excessive. You will go up and down but it is hardly the fault of the passing craft you have a rock beneath your boat.

I'm sorry Phylis, but you obviously don't reside on a canal like the Southern Oxford. If you did you would realise how un-courteous it is to moored boats when you don't slow down. I can assure you that I moor my boat up a well as humanly possible. I have still had my pins ripped out by passing boats (and I spend most of my time on the bottom anyway - I though I better say that before some else did :lol: )

Rocks don't harm by 15mm base plate

If you make it to Lincoln you will have come through Saxilby.

Will keep an eye out for you and give you a wave.

So we will! I must remember to slow down past the moorings!

My knowledge of the Trent is still rather weak :lol:

So we will! I must remember to slow down past the moorings!

My knowledge of the Trent is still rather weak :lol:

Stop being a whimp.... Wind the old filling rattler up. No need to worry, Naughty Cal will be well moored :lol:

I'm sorry Phylis, but you obviously don't reside on a canal like the Southern Oxford. If you did you would realise how un-courteous it is to moored boats when you don't slow down. I can assure you that I moor my boat up a well as humanly possible. I have still had my pins ripped out by passing boats (and I spend most of my time on the bottom anyway - I though I better say that before some else did :lol: )

Rocks don't harm by 15mm base plate

No i reside (well at the weekend) on a tiny river/part canalised river, full of sea faring boats. If you dont moor up correctly on here you will be left drifting and as yet i have not found my pins to have a problem. Dont use them often but they do come in handy outside the popular pubs on sunny days.

Stop being a whimp.... Wind the old filling rattler up. No need to worry, Naughty Cal will be well moored :lol:

As always

I was getting really hacked off with those boaters, passing us 'at speed' and buffetting us as we were moored up.

It eventually dawned on me that perhaps I was at fault by not tieing Marmaduke up properly!

Now, when needed, a bit of extra effort, by adding a second rope to both bow and stern, seems to be worth while, and causes minimum movement of Marmaduke.

Regards,

Pav.

There seem to be several styles adopted.

1) Drop the revs off just as the bow gets to the moored boat then straight back on when level with other end.

2) Dont slow unless there is signs of habitation.

3) Slow down a few boats lengths away to reduce overall hull speed and speed up when clear.

I tend to use 3 but rarely ever achieve the time taken on the Pearsons guide. Am I daft? or just a dying breed.

It is considerate and sensible to go slowly past moored boats. For one reason, as you approach you have no way of knowing if the boat is "moored up correctly" and there is always the chance that it may have been set adrift, or that it is in the process of being tied-up, possibly even someone is in the water having fallen overboard. Whatever the circumstances, you just don't know and going slowly is the only safe and considerate approach.

Hear hear !

Mike.