New Tool Box

Chris-B

Featured Posts

I suggested to Lise that I needed a new tool box to put all my stuff in

Do you think I could use this on the boat

Clicky

Chris

Chris, what I want is a hyper-dimensional toolbox which is connected through wormholes to two portals, one on the boat and one at home. That way I could shove my tools into the toolbox at home and have them magically appear on the boat, or vice versa. I'd never again have the problem that the tool I really, really need, is where I'm not, or have the boot of my car permanently full of cr*p.

Of course since you live on the boat, you lucky, lucky, Baldock, you don't have this problem.

MP.

Actually, looking the ebay monster, I could just move into it and have my tools always to hand.....

... and before anybody suggests that the solution to my problem is two sets of tools, it won't work: they migrate anyway and it ends up with two sprocket-manglers in one place, and none in the other.

Edited by MoominPapa

Chris, what I want is a hyper-dimensional toolbox which is connected through wormholes to two portals, one on the boat and one at home. That way I could shove my tools into the toolbox at home and have them magically appear on the boat,

I've already got one.

I put the tools in the tool box and they magically appear in the bilge.

Edited by carlt

I've already got one.

I put the tools in the tool box and they magically appear in the bilge.

My situation is remarkably similar - I leave my tools out ready for next time and they are magically transported to the engine room bilge. I think the domestic manager has something to do with it! :lol:

Chris, what I want is a hyper-dimensional toolbox which is connected through wormholes to two portals, one on the boat and one at home. That way I could shove my tools into the toolbox at home and have them magically appear on the boat, or vice versa.

You could probably get one of those for less than than the price of this

Its nearly 10 grand for goodness sake!!

Go on. Admit it. It's just an excuse to get a butty to put it in, isn't it? :lol:

Oh you guessed :lol:

Now a nice town class UNCONVERTED butty mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmore money,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmore maintaince, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmore expense, mmmmmmmmmmmm I want

Chris, what I want is a hyper-dimensional toolbox which is connected through wormholes to two portals, one on the boat and one at home.

I have half of that system. I take tools out to use, put them down and they disappear.

Fortunately there is someone with the same problem at the other end of the wormhole as when I no longer need the tools they reappear.

Richard

Do you think that set has any Whitworth spanners in it?

I have half of that system. I take tools out to use, put them down and they disappear.

Fortunately there is someone with the same problem at the other end of the wormhole as when I no longer need the tools they reappear.

Richard

Do you think that set has any Whitworth spanners in it?

Thats just for the box mate, NO tools

Chris

I'm looking for a shipwright's caulking tool box, with the curved base so it rocks when you sit on it and swing the hammer.

I don't actually own a boat that needs caulking, any more, but I still need one to keep my, now redundant, caulking tools in.

I even took my smallest caulking hammer camping, just so it saw some action.

You could probably get one of those for less than than the price of this

Its nearly 10 grand for goodness sake!!

Yeh and that's half what he paid for it 'this box retail price with covers and handle and vat is over £ 24,675.00p ' must have more money than sense.

Interesting?

The IP is correct, the ISP maybe correct but I suspect that the ISP it gives, is the one that 'runs' the system for my contracted ISP.

and the location was miles away.

So does this prove you can be accurate some of the time but not all of the time?

I think I may be mis-quoting something there. :lol:

I'm looking for a shipwright's caulking tool box, with the curved base so it rocks when you sit on it and swing the hammer.

I don't actually own a boat that needs caulking, any more, but I still need one to keep my, now redundant, caulking tools in.

I even took my smallest caulking hammer camping, just so it saw some action.

As you know Carl , I have a small collection of Shipright's tools, but I have never seen a Caulking Box with a curved base. The only type I have ever seen are comparatively small affairs, about 24"x15" by 6" deep with sliding top and two holes in one end to take a rope handle. certainly nothing big (or strong) enough to sit on.

I have never even seen a picture of one with a curved base, although I did once read an account which referred to a Caulking Carvel, which may have been a reference to it being boat shaped , although I have always understood carvel to be a term describing the way planks on a hull are layed edge to edged rather than Clinker. I suspect that if you want one, you may have to make it. If you make it from re-claimed timber and leave it out in the weather for a year or so, it will look suitably old.

One small point about the term Caulking Hammer, As far as I am aware, this term has crept in recently and is often used by Antiques dealers who don't know the correct name. Of course there could be regional variations, but I have always known them as Caulking Mallets, and they have been sold under that descriptiion for well over a 100 years. I also know that the men at Walkers in Batchworth called them Caulking Mallets.

Edited by David Schweizer

As you know Carl , I have a small collection of Shipright's tools, but I have never seen a Caulking Box with a curved base. The only type I have ever seen are comparatively small affairs, about 24"x15" by 6" deep with sliding top and two holes in one end to take a rope handle. certainly nothing big (or strong) enough to sit on.

I have never even seen a picture of one with a curved base, although I did once read an account which referred to a Caulking Carvel, which may have been a reference to it being boat shaped , although I have always understood carvel to be a term describing the way planks on a hull are layed edge to edged rather than Clinker. I suspect that if you want one, you may have to make it. If you make it from re-claimed timber and leave it out in the weather for a year or so, it will look suitably old.

I have seen several boxes sold, over the years but at ridiculous prices. I have never seen one, inland but a few on the coast.

I don't need to weather any timber, btw, I have a complete boat that needs dismantling, that has been weathering since the 60s.