Dover

Yoda

Featured Posts

That top plank is a fair width.

Possibly, but I have no idea of how wide they were on the old boats.

As I think you will well know the part of Dover 'under the cloths' was living accommodation with almost full complete glass along both top sides.

I guess the wide top plank is to increase the capacity of living space marginally....

6-8inchs tops...

I've never seen one that narrow!

It would be most unusual.....

But the Dover cabin top looks more like about 2 feet, even if it's less. The result looks totally ridiculous IMO.

Ive got the tape measure out, 6inchs is smaller than I imagined i being! :lol:

But at the same time (tape measure still out) 12inchs seems bigger than most i have seen or walked along.

dscn2025o.jpg

Daniel

Ive got the tape measure out, 6inchs is smaller than I imagined i being! :lol:

But at the same time (tape measure still out) 12inchs seems bigger than most i have seen or walked along.

Scaffold planks are a common cheat, narrower at 9".

As a matter of interest (since I'm planning to make a set in the near future) what thickness should top planks and deck beams be, and what wood?

12" x 1.5" is what Lucy's were so that is what I've always made.

I've just looked at Walker Bros spec, though and their gang planks were only 11" wide.

I always used Larch, mainly because I had a very good source which was excellent quality and well priced.

Any good quality softwood can be used, though.

Scaffold planks are a common cheat, narrower at 9".

12" x 1.5" is what Lucy's were so that is what I've always made.

I've just looked at Walker Bros spec, though and their gang planks were only 11" wide.

I always used Larch, mainly because I had a very good source which was excellent quality and well priced.

Any good quality softwood can be used, though.

On checking, I found some evidence that some of the GUCCCo boats probably started life with 11" wide top planks.

dscn2025o.jpg

Daniel

Just realised that picture is taken at exactly the same spot as the picture for this month 'June' in my Salmon Waterways calender - there is even the same boat moored on the offside...

Yes you quoted me saying that.

Yes, indeed......

I meant to say the whole fleet, not just the Walkers boats - which seems to be supported by the Northwich drawings too.

It would scare the crap out of me to walk along them now, I must admit, even if not actually that narrow.

Caught the last two episodes of Narrowboat yesterday whilst holed up in my sick bed. Must say i was quite impressed with what they achieved in nine months (if it really was nine months). The end result, whilst not to everyones taste, was IMO quite nice. The level of kit they have fitted is also quite unbelieveable. Certainly one narrowboat i would consider purchasing even if it does stray from the norm.

She's still for sale apparently

PDF file for Dover

Could be your lucky day!

Richard

I'm not convinced she ever hasn't been, despite claims she has been on at least one occasion.

But I admit I don't know the story.

Offers based on £110K sounds a bit less than the (I think) £145K originally being asked.

I still think it's a tragedy, but I'm sure working boat enthusiasts will be reassured by Phylis' endorsement of it. :lol:

I still think it's a tragedy, but I'm sure working boat enthusiasts will be reassured by Phylis' endorsement of it. :lol:

It would be a little boring if all working boats where "restored" to their original trim. At least this one is a little different and dares to think out of the box.

It would be a little boring if all working boats where "restored" to their original trim. At least this one is a little different and dares to think out of the box.

I don't like it at all, but agree that there's a danger of too many boats being 'restored'.

I was slightly saddened to hear that another old boat of mine, the Themis, has been deconverted and is being 'restored'. I liked it the way it was with its full length conversion which definitely belonged to a certain period of canal history and examples of which are fast disappearing.

Dover does at least have back cabin and engine room, when I had it they had been replaced by a Goole Repair Yard 'Brew Hut'

Tim

Edited by Timleech