mink

CJR

Featured Posts

I have never met a dog owner who can see anything wrong with their disgusting practice of taking a dog to a public place to empty itself.

Rant over.

Alright I know,It has already been explained to me by a very annoyed man at the library :lol:

At the risk of a very interesting topic on mink turning into yet another topic on dog poo, where can I get an otter. I chased a Mink - yes I am brave, I am wise (actually really stuped of me) into my little greenhouse on our wharf. Shrieking like a banshee armed with a broom I waved the broom at this little critter and it attacked the bristles. Mink = 1 Broom = 0

We have 5 now, but found out you can either hire a trap from your local council at a highly overinflated price or buy one of e-bay for about £17. I suspect that in the cost of the council one it inclued 1 large fella with baseball bat.

The swans do chase them, but I beleive that the mink has no known predator in the UK, so some wildlife may chase them, but there is nothing that kills them except, me the bristleless broom, the big fella and the baseball bat, or callling Bill Oddy or something.

We are thinking of getting a sheepdog, do they kill mink or is it the reserve of the terrier classes (complete with plastic bag and poop scooper)

We have 5 now, but found out you can either hire a trap from your local council at a highly overinflated price or buy one of e-bay for about £17. I suspect that in the cost of the council one it inclued 1 large fella with baseball bat.

I'm sue you know this, but, under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, it is illegal to release a trapped mink, so all mink caught must be killed humanely

DEFRA on Mink

Richard

So be sure to explain that to the dogs, so that they tear the nasty things to bits in a humane manner. It brings to mind that expression from a restaurant sketch in Monty Python, "lightly killed".

So be sure to explain that to the dogs, so that they tear the nasty things to bits in a humane manner. It brings to mind that expression from a restaurant sketch in Monty Python, "lightly killed".

I wouldn't set a trap for a mink because I'm not sure I would kill it if I caught one. But under the act you cannot release it elsewhere.

Good luck with the dogs, and make sure that you have the telephone number of a vet handy. Mink are well equipped with teeth and claws.

Richard

At the risk of a very interesting topic on mink turning into yet another topic on dog poo, where can I get an otter. I chased a Mink - yes I am brave, I am wise (actually really stuped of me) into my little greenhouse on our wharf. Shrieking like a banshee armed with a broom I waved the broom at this little critter and it attacked the bristles. Mink = 1 Broom = 0

The swans do chase them, but I beleive that the mink has no known predator in the UK, so some wildlife may chase them, but there is nothing that kills them except, me the bristleless broom, the big fella and the baseball bat, or callling Bill Oddy or something.

We are thinking of getting a sheepdog, do they kill mink or is it the reserve of the terrier classes (complete with plastic bag and poop scooper)

Attach line to mink trap before setting trap, bait with smelly bacon or fish. Leave in covered area near canal -river check daily if you find one in the trap,hold one end of line and give Mr mink a swimming lesson.please make sure it is a mink.Someone will post a picture of one

These lovely little creatures do seem to be getting a bit of a bashing by you nasty humans so thought someone ought to stand up for them.

They are wildlife and although not meant to be here they are now and its not their fault. Please treat them as you would any other British wildlife or is it OK to be racist to animals that dont originate from this country?

My neighbour's Jack Russell sorted out the mink that ate everything in our pound.

My Jack Russell, Archie taught one a severe lesson last summer on the Soar, Archie walked away without a scratch – the Mink didn’t.

These lovely little creatures do seem to be getting a bit of a bashing by you nasty humans so thought someone ought to stand up for them.

They are wildlife and although not meant to be here they are now and its not their fault. Please treat them as you would any other British wildlife or is it OK to be racist to animals that dont originate from this country?

Maybe not 'their fault' but they are very effectively destroying some of the wildlife which does belong here, most notably water voles, so in my book it's fine to despatch them to a higher place. Grey squirrels too.

Tim

WOW didnt think a otter would tackle a mink nothing else will.

We used to have a mink on our mooring, it nested in the pontoons.

We got a couple of kittens, once they grew up a bit they drove the mink off. There were a few noisy fights, and one of them came in stinking once, but the mink has gone permanently.

Maybe not 'their fault' but they are very effectively destroying some of the wildlife which does belong here, most notably water voles, so in my book it's fine to despatch them to a higher place. Grey squirrels too.

Tim

We also have many imigrants who are destroying and killing the British way of life. So do you reccomend we despatch them to a higher place also, or are your views purely biased towards animals?

What about them Normans and their domesday book then?

Richard

That was a military invasion. I'm not convinced the Norman invasion was what Mav was referring to.

Edited to say: The French still didn't stamp out Morris Dancing, when they had the chance, though!

Edited by carlt

That was a military invasion. I'm not convinced the Norman invasion was what Mav was referring to.

Edited to say: The French still didn't stamp out Morris Dancing, when they had the chance, though!

Yes, but I think I would have been impressionable enough to have adopted the different ways of behaving that they had, weakling that I am.

Richard

And them Romans, Angles, Saxons, ...

Exactly and without Mink we wouldnt have fur coats. I rest my case. Leave em alone

I prefer ducks, even randy ones, to fur coats so to my mind 'ave 'em!

Just to address an earlier point about animal rights types, I think you'll find that the animal rights types who did release mink were the one's so addled by a lack of animal protein in their diet that they made daft decisions such as "lets release those poor mink, it won't do any harm", at about the same time as they were throwing full (FULL I say) cans of beer at me for trapping rabbits whilst trying to save the planet, hence causing a large schism betwixt the fluffy bunny brigade and the tree huggers.

The meat eating/fregan brigade had more of an appreciation of their place in the food chain and the long term ramifications of their actions. There was a big argument about released mink just before the trapping bunnies fiasco!