Planets & the moon

johnjo

Featured Posts

Unfortunately the view will be below the horizon until after sunrise tomorrow. If we can nip down to Cape Town tonight it should be good viewing.

Thanks, I won't mind that we've got 100% cloud cover now.

As you are going to the time and trouble of getting the surface right, it seems a shame to me to then add in the risk factor of winding up doing the job on a wet or humid day, when the conditions for applying the protective coating may not be spot on. I know it's easy when it's not my money, but I really would consider doing it, or having it done somewhere that you can guarantee to some extent the conditions. A poly tunnel for protection would seem a minimum to guarantee the means to generate a dry atmosphere, if required. It is a dirty, heavy sh***y job and I would be inclined to have someone else do it !

Mike.

Fine vew down ere in Devon me ol' lover.

Edited to say 'Crap try at a Devon accent', but then I do come from the big smoke!

Edited by johnjo

139.gifIf you look at the moon tonight you can see two bright lights one top right and one underneath. Apparently one is Venus and the other is Jupitor, not sure which is which.

Very rare they say.

Perfect down here on the Isle of Wight, with not a cloud in sight.

We saw a bright new crescent moon and the two brilliant stars, lovely!

That was about 5-30 tonight, but it was a tad on the coldish side standing watching it!

nipper

Damn - I was relying on Jumble's comment to allow myself to stay inside!! Now I have to put the thermals on and venture out....

Nope. No moon. But I did see an airyplane, so I'm going to pretend it was Jupiter to make it worth the venturing

sorry, too late and after the event: I should have let Odana know (this info did come from the eclipse advisory service, AKA my dad)

The moon passes in front of Venus at about 3.48 at Greenwich December 1st. It will be a little earlier further west- perhaps 12 minutes in Bath- it disappears behind the dark limb- and reappears at 5.17 (at Greenwich) from the bright limb.

Three things:

a) the sun is still just above the horizon at the start; it isn't very near the moon but make absolutely sure you don't accidentally include the sun in your binocular view if you use them.

:lol:. you will need a good West- to South horizon.

c) The moon is not too low at the start- 13 degrees- about 25 x it own diameter at the start but is only seven degrees high at the end- both numbers assume that you are on an unobstructed plain of course.

So it was visible in the Northern Hemisphere, assuming you didn't have cloud cover: we did :lol:

Edited by magpie patrick

Brilliant view of it here (Southern Scotland) just as Venus emerged. I happened to look out of the front door abour 5.30, and I'd never seen anything quite like it. Then they started talking about it on Radio 4 - saved me having to ask elswhere what this peculiar light next to the moon was.

Mac

We got a great view in central Ireland at about 5.40pm. Very bright crescent moon and the two planets twinkling next to it - I watched it with my 9 year old daughter from our side doors looking over the Shannon for about 15 mins - a lovely moment. :lol:

If you have a clear sky in your part of the world tonight you can still see Jupiter and Venus just to the right of the crescent moon.

Look great from a cold but very clear sky in Cambridgeshire.

And from Kenilworth, thank you.

Richard

Which is which?

Just read thread, Jupiter is the top one.

Edited by RLWP

And from Kenilworth, thank you.

Richard

Which is which?

Just read thread, Jupiter is the top one.

And the moon is one with the bit missing :lol:

Sorry........... Mind you it is a good example of how far Jupiter is away bearing in mind that Jupiter is 142740 km in diameter and Venus is just 12104 km.

So Jupiter is over 11 times larger than Venus but is the smaller point of light.

It's not just distance - Venus reflects more sunlight. Venus has an albedo (surface reflectivity of Sun's radiation) of 0.65 while Jupiter's albedo is 0.52. This is due to different cloud cover.

Distance, size and albedo make a difference - but the whole thing is made yet more complex by the fact that Venus shows phases like the moon because it is nearer to the Sun than the Earth is. The current phase shows about 69% of the disc illuminated.

Cheers

Cath

Quite right, Jupiter will be above the moon and Venus below it.

Unfortunately the view will be below the horizon until after sunrise tomorrow.

If we can nip down to Cape Town tonight it should be good viewing.

I'll get my coat!!!!!

My programme is telling me that the moon is still below the horizon.......guess what I saw on the way home.

Sorry !!!

So Jupiter is over 11 times larger than Venus but is the smaller point of light.

Which reminds me of a question that I keep wondering about:

When we have a total eclipse of the sun, the moon is exactly the right size to fit over the sun. Not too big and not too small. Is that coincidence or is there a law of motion somewhere that makes it inevitable?

When we have a total eclipse of the sun, the moon is exactly the right size to fit over the sun. Not too big and not too small. Is that coincidence or is there a law of motion somewhere that makes it inevitable?

It's a coincidence, although sometimes, when the Moon is further from the Earth we get what is called an Annular Eclipse (which has nothing to do with annual), but is a ring of the Sun shown around the Moon.

Cheers

Cath