A new way of looking at the CC issue

mayalld

Featured Posts

I don't know what you regard as a propper residential mooring

It's quite simple really.

If you live aboard, and aren't a CCer, you need a mooring that has Planning Permission for residential use.

Most moorings don't have planning permission for residential use, and those that do command a premium.

If you choose to live aboard on a non-residential mooring, you may find yourself the subject of planning enforcement action.

A question for you, do you feel the fact that your marina is connected to BW's system makes it worth paying an additional £130 (Or whatever the figure is) more than you would pay if you had a mooring in a hypothetical marina which had no connection to BW?

Natalie.

No. I don't think it is worth it. The marina shouldn't be requred to pay a fee for connection because that marina is helping to reduce congestion on the system. I think that many on this forum have a dog in the manger attitude to business and resent anyone making money.

Canal related businesses are dependent on the existence onf the system.

The system is dependent on many of the canal side businesses.

The two are therefore inter-dependent and money shouldn't change hands either way.

No. I don't think it is worth it. The marina shouldn't be requred to pay a fee for connection because that marina is helping to reduce congestion on the system. I think that many on this forum have a dog in the manger attitude to business and resent anyone making money.

Canal related businesses are dependent on the existence onf the system.

The system is dependent on many of the canal side businesses.

The two are therefore inter-dependent and money shouldn't change hands either way.

All businesses, and their customers, are interdependent. Why on earth would money change hands, otherwise?

Happy Birthday Maffi,

Do not take took much of the dark brown frothy liquid tho. You might not remember if you are a CCer or a Council Tax payer!!!

:lol::lol:

Stay awake! Are you mad sir?

This is an internet forum not a venerable seat of learning!

I quite agree I am not getting the same from this thread as you and Alan seem to be. Must be because I have my birthday head on back to front.

I shall bow out gracefully.

Explain to me how my microphone manufacturing business depends on the existence of the local wool shop.

Why? That is totally irrelevant to what I posted.

All businesses and their customers are interdependent. This has nothing to do with a wool shop buying microphones.

With each post you are descending from silly, to the downright surreal, Alan.

going back to the original issue and ignoring Carl's misplaced commas;

If all the boats with no home mooring moved an acceptable amount to Snibble and Dave Mayall every 3 days or so what difference in the amount of moored boats moored on visitor moorings and the towpath would you notice?

If all the boats with no home mooring moved an acceptable amount to Snibble and Dave Mayall every 3 days or so what difference in the amount of moored boats moored on visitor moorings and the towpath would you notice?

I gave up on this debate a while ago. Include me out. Do what you like.

Why? That is totally irrelevant to what I posted.

All businesses and their customers are interdependent. This has nothing to do with a wool shop buying microphones.

With each post you are descending from silly, to the downright surreal, Alan.

The marina depends on the existance of the canal. The canal, to some extent, depends on the existance of the marina.

What is surreal about that?

I'm getting fed up with you insulting my logic so I refuse to enter into further debate with you.

The marina depends on the existance of the canal. The canal, to some extent, depends on the existance of the marina.

I'm getting fed up with you insulting my logic so I refuse to enter into further debate with you.

i think this

Explain to me how my microphone manufacturing business depends on the existence of the local wool shop.

was the surreal bit.

On the plus side I might get to look at a boat that isn't pale blue and rust coloured

on the minus side I might get someone that wants to run their genny till midnight!

J

I'm not insulting your logic. Suggesting that a private enterprise should be able to use and exploit publicly owned property is completely illogical.

If the canals were privately owned would that private company not have a right to rent its property and resources to another private company?

The only upside of your argument is, if your ideas were ever implemented, the system would never fall into private hands (though it would fall into dereliction)

Submission.

Carl ownes AlanH.

I'm thinking about renting him out, though. If anyone is willing to pay the connection fee.

Suggesting that a private enterprise should be able to use and exploit publicly owned property is completely illogical, (Captain.)

Before someone else does it!

No, it does however mean that you are an unusual case.

Most CCers are liveaboards, and have no house on which they pay CT.

There could be more ccers that own a house. I don't think they are unusual. How about boaters that live on their boat, have a mooring and a house, but spend most of the time cruising? There is at least one.

Sue

Having thought about this a fair amount i'm rather confused by by the outlook on society that a few people here have.

By talking about everything being charged in a fair manner and it being equal for everyone it makes mer think that these posters have an idealised view of society where everyone is equal, yet they are clearly capitalists.

If you are so keen on equal charging your energies might be better spent on campaigning for equal wages for all at which point everyone can also pay the same for the same services. Spend your time resolving the issues of poverty and financial inequality and you'll no longer have to worry whether you pay more than someone else for your licence and services.

By the way Dave and Alan, I'm presuming you both have 72' boats and so pay more to BW than anyone else. Correct me if I'm wrong

Having thought about this a fair amount i'm rather confused by by the outlook on society that a few people here have.

By talking about everything being charged in a fair manner and it being equal for everyone it makes mer think that these posters have an idealised view of society where everyone is equal, yet they are clearly capitalists.

If you are so keen on equal charging your energies might be better spent on campaigning for equal wages for all at which point everyone can also pay the same for the same services. Spend your time resolving the issues of poverty and financial inequality and you'll no longer have to worry whether you pay more than someone else for your licence and services.

Good Posting :lol:

I don't know why people "assume" that if someone is a CCer then they must have more spare collateral - I would have thought the opposite is more to the point and in any case choosing to CC is just that its a lifestyle choice and quite frankly its no ones business except those who have chosen to choose that life style.

I now we don't have our own boat but on our travels on boating holidays we have met a fair few CCers over the years and they mainly tended to be solitary creatures who bump into civilisation when they need provisions and more to the point they are some of the nicest people we have had the pleasuring in getting to know.

By the way Dave and Alan, I'm presuming you both have 72' boats and so pay more to BW than anyone else. Correct me if I'm wrong

Why does a belief in equal charging for a service mean that I should believe in equal pay for all?

The message is simple. If you want something, you must earn sufficient money to pay for it. If your wants are few, you don't have to earn as much. If you want more things, you have to work harder.

Good Posting :lol:

I don't know why people "assume" that if someone is a CCer then they must have more spare collateral - I would have thought the opposite is more to the point and in any case choosing to CC is just that its a lifestyle choice and quite frankly its no ones business except those who have chosen to choose that life style.

I now we don't have our own boat but on our travels on boating holidays we have met a fair few CCers over the years and they mainly tended to be solitary creatures who bump into civilisation when they need provisions and more to the point they are some of the nicest people we have had the pleasuring in getting to know.

I make no assumption about the resources of a CCer. As you say, none of my business.

It isn't really relevant to the issue.

Braunston Marina

Midland Chandlers

ABC

UCC

Brinklow Boats

Charity Dock

Wigram's Turn

Kingfisher Marina

Calcutt Boats

Napton Narrowboats

Blue Haven

Clifton Cruisers

Willow Wren

Rose Narrowboats

Whilton Marina

Concoform

Blisworth Tunnel Boats (are they ABC yet?)

Just a selection from my neck of the woods. Take your pick.

Ahh!

That reminds me, Dave...

And I will respond in due course
Edited by carlt