Go cart tyres

Donald Gilchrist

Featured Posts

We got ours from Daytona in Trafford Park, near to Manchester United FC's ground. We've been a few times and each time have come away with 4 or 5. They're the old ones which are no good for racing in but are sound... we've got a stack of "spare" ones and have also given a load away to friends. The past couple of times we've given the bloke there a few quid to get himself a drink.

In case anybody is interested, here's where they are located: Daytona - Venues

There'll be other karting tracks too, have a search via Google.

Edited by Liam

We got ours from Daytona in Trafford Park, near to Manchester United FC's ground. We've been a few times and each time have come away with 4 or 5. They're the old ones which are no good for racing in but are sound... we've got a stack of "spare" ones and have also given a load away to friends. The past couple of times we've given the bloke there a few quid to get himself a drink.

In case anybody is interested, here's where they are located: Daytona - Venues

There'll be other karting tracks too, have a search via Google.

Thanks but realy need Nottingham Leicester area,as its in a borowd car. Been to some tracks,but they wouldent let me have eny :lol:

Can I suggest Fork Lift Truck tyres are just as good and far easier to find.

Industrial tyres are far better, kart tyres are thin and lightweight, you can tie a knot in them.. Better still make some proper traditional rope ones, use car tyre treads for the innards, they will last a lifetime..

Nothing looks worse than a boat with old tyres hanging off it..

Here's the exception: At your marina berth it is possible to hang car tyres 'Underwater'.. Use galvanised chain and bore through the tread of the tyre in two places using a 'tank butter'.

Edited by John Orentas

Need to get some used go cart tyres, I think somebody had a letter in the R.B.O.A mag saying you can have some,in the Leicester area? East midlands area only please.

There is also a go-kart track at Leicester Airport at Stoughton on the eastern side of the city.

Tony.

Edited by tony collins

One on A46 "would rather burn them" . Thanks,had forgot about Newark, there's a autojumble neer it on Sunday and was looking for an excuse to go :lol:

While at Newark, it might be worth popping over to the giant Currys Distribution complex. In view of what John Orentas has said about forklift truck tyres, they may have some to dispose of. I would expect theres someone there even on a sunday. Its only a few yards from the showground :lol:

Edited by tobytimothy

Here's the exception: At your marina berth it is possible to hang car tyres 'Underwater'.. Use galvanised chain and bore through the tread of the tyre in two places using a 'tank butter'.

I think it's a a mistake to hang tyres underwater.

I hung mine half underwater and look what I discovered when the boat next came out.

DSC00449.jpg.

The boat's movements from the wind and passing boats had gradually rubbed the blacking off where the tyres hung and I hadn't seen it because it was hidden by the tyre & pontoon.

In my opinion, if you're not too vain about what they look like, it's a better idea to hang the tyres above the waterline if possible. The paint may still get rubbed off but at least you can get to these areas to repaint them without having to get the boat out the water.

Edited by blackrose

When we're tied up on the moorings we generally lift (or sometimes remove the fenders completely) from the boat as we have placed a few of the larger car tyres along the length of our mooring. At the back end, we managed to find a tyre still on the wheel, which floats sideways to keep the stern end out as the bottom is too near the top!

Although they don't look the part, I find the karting tyres much better than the traditional rope fenders as they are much wider and so keep the boat further away from the bank when mooring up on a bend or when there are submerged nasties under the water. They are free too! :lol:

Have a word with your local tyre fitting depot, the type where the fitters go out to fit tyres on site.

They will fit fork truck tyres on an almost daily basis, go karts less so.

If going for fork trucks, try to get the rear ones. The fronts can be a bit big & very heavy duty. It might also be possible to make a neat job of binding the tyres with old mooring ropes, make them look a bit more boaty...

Small tyres are almost essential on the Shroppie. I have some on adjustable ropes so I can set them to the right depth to hold the boat off the notorious 'Shroppie shelf". Tyres are needed rather than fenders as they will sink as the shelf can be up to 18" below the surface.

I actuly want the tyres to make the core for rope coverd fenders,both horseshue and button. Find that go cart tyres are easy to work with as they dont have eny steel wire in them,though the core needs more packing and straping to make solid.My grandfathers fishing boat used tyres,he never would have wasted good rope on a fender.

My grandfathers fishing boat used tyres,he never would have wasted good rope on a fender.

Couldn't agree more. I have a nice set of shiny fenders, for when I go to shiny lifeboat or classic boat rallies.

At the boatyard I have a nice set of land rover tyres, for rubbing against the old lighter, that is my pontoon.

I had tyre fenders on a steel boat some years ago. On her mooring on the G&S, she was tied up on steel piling, which is fitted with a steel whaling (capping) rail. When I docked her at Hempsted, two circular rings of corrosion were to be seen on her hullside. These rings corresponded exactly with the position of the tyres. The steel wire in the tyres had acted as a conductor.

Also worth pointing out that in Holland, tyres are forbidden as fenders. The consequences of a tyre around the blades of a commercial boat are best imagined. They prefer wood, which is what I now use on my luxemotor.

I believe Go-kart tyres don't contain wire, neither are they large enough to be likely to foul a boat propellor.