As i am new prehaps someone can answer this

john the duck

Featured Posts

I have been cc in london for a long time now and recently i have noticed that some boats are left moored for at least two months> Pertically one boat in brentford and one at kensal green. It has been brought to my attention that the boat in brentford is owned by a casual bw worker prehaps anyone knows if bw workers get a special deal as far as mooring.

Over the years i have realised that bw is run like a old boys network does anyone have anythoughts on this

I have been cc in london for a long time now and recently i have noticed that some boats are left moored for at least two months> Pertically one boat in brentford and one at kensal green. It has been brought to my attention that the boat in brentford is owned by a casual bw worker prehaps anyone knows if bw workers get a special deal as far as mooring.

Over the years i have realised that bw is run like a old boys network does anyone have anythoughts on this

I find it strange you ask this question, when your own web-site gives thiss advise (sic)

Our best advise is to find seven or eight locations that suit you around the London area be warned anything south of enfield lock right through to city road is considered to be unsafe due to vandalism although there are good moorings at Victoria park and islington which are becoming moor popular. Anywhere west of Camden is good with great moorings at paddington basin and little Venice although the 14 day rule is policed very strictly at these locations> Once you get further west of these moorings things slacken off a little with 5 or 6 week stays possible at some locations. Acton lane by Barrett's green is a great under subscribed mooring.

If you are advising people to break mooring rules, why are you objecting when you see it going on? :lol:

Edited by alan_fincher

I find it strange you ask this question, when your own web-site gives thiss advise (sic)

If you are advising people to break mooring rules, why are you objecting when you see it going on? :lol:

One thing about this site is there seems to be a big debate about cc my own website only suggests that 5 or six week stays

are possiable not endorsed or recomended. the reason i made this post is because it seems so unfair that people in bws pocket seem to have special discompsation. So be easy on me gents it was just a question.

of course i meant discompensation you must be my old teacher mr green lol

Not to sure about that one in that context, either ?

Might I offer "dispensation" as a better choice.

dispensation

an exemption from some rule or obligation

Not to sure about that one in that context, either ?

Might I offer "dispensation" as a better choice.

dispensation

an exemption from some rule or obligation

Personally I was entertained by John the Duck's imaginative use of words (but not his attitude to mooring regulations). BTW, is there a verb 'to sure'? :lol:

Mac

Because that's the way it is, in all walks of life.

And why should that come as a surprise?

John, its sounds like you, or someone you know has come foul of BW's current drive, you can hardly plead its unfair when you offered advice to your customers on their minisucle cruising area.

A cc'er is expected to be making a progressive journey of the system, you cant shout "foul" if you or one of yours is pulled up on bridge hopping

I'm not sure about an old boys network? Personally I think it's very handy that the Thames Lock keeper is nearby. At least one moorer here has called on him out of hours with a minor emergency and due to his access to BW equipment he was able to be extremely helpful. Let's face it the salary for that job hardly makes it attractive, so if there are one or two unofficial perks then surely only the most miserable of people would want to deny them? Anyway if you want to know why Rob has been allowed to moor on the towpath at Brentford for more than the usual 14 days I'm sure he will be only too happy to let you know. But just be ready for what might be a rather forthright response!

Edited by blackrose

I'm not sure about an old boys network? Personally I think it's very handy that the Thames Lock keeper is nearby. At least one moorer here has called on him out of hours with a minor emergency and due to his access to BW equipment he was able to be extremely helpful. Let's face it the salary for that job hardly makes it attractive, so if there are one or two unofficial perks then surely only the most miserable of people would want to deny them? Anyway if you want to know why Rob has been allowed to moor on the towpath at Brentford for more than the usual 14 days I'm sure he will be only too happy to let you know. But just be ready for what might be a rather forthright response!

HEAR HIM, HEAR HIM

This thread is ading some marvellous words to our English language. I love "minisucle", which I assume to be a dwarf variety of honeysucle (?). I must not let Mrs. Athy see this, or she'll be off down to the garden centre like a bat out of hell to buy some.

Edited by Athy

This thread is ading some marvellous words to our English language. I love "minisucle", which I assuke to be a dwarf variety of honeysucle (?). I must not let Mrs. Athy see this, or she'll be off down to the garden centre like a bat out of hell to buy some.

that's one of my favourite additions to the language so far :lol:

A visit to the OP's web-site will provide a few more.

I'm not a great speller, and therefore not usually a stickler about other's spelling.

But if you are putting up a website trying to sell services to the public, is it really that hard to run an automated spell checker over the text before you post it?

Alan

Personally, I love John the Duck's spelling. It's a brilliant example of what used to be called British Rail guard-speak: guards used long words that they had heard on the radio, or perhaps they had been trained to use slightly quaint alternatives. Sadly, BR is no more and guards are now Journey Enhancement Managers or Revenue Protection Directors.

So let's be having more of John the Duck. Maybe he could have a special Canal World Forum section. Our very own Larry King, perhaps.

This thread is ading some marvellous words to our English language. I love "minisucle", which I assume to be a dwarf variety of honeysucle (?). I must not let Mrs. Athy see this, or she'll be off down to the garden centre like a bat out of hell to buy some.

I reserve the right to spell any word in what ever way it comes off my keyboard during the early hours following a few sherberts of my extra perculiar....hic!

Bringing this back to topic (and watching my spelling). There are many reasons why boats stay in one place. BW have accepted money for a mooring on a short term mooring; BW have given permission for unspecifed reasons, which may include - illness or working for BW; no one can be bothered to ask the boater to move; BW can't contact the boater to get him to move; the boater is too aggresive to tackle.

There is a spelling checker on the google toolbar but don't let the spelling freaks deter those who prefer to spell in their own way.

Sue