Cheshire Ring - Advise needed please.

loumush

Featured Posts

Will be off for our 2nd ever canal boat holiday in 2 weeks. It's actually our honeymoon! This time last year we went from Alvechurch to Stratford and back in 5 days. This year we are going to do the Cheshire Ring in a week. I'm starting to think about the plan and wanted to know your suggestions for what would be a good distance each day whcih gives us a good stop each night. We would probably like to have a pub to stop at most nights so that we can eat out a few nights and cook the others. Any suggestions on good and bad ones to avoid are most welcome. Also if any of the pubs are good real ale pubs then so m,uch the better.

We had a cracking meal at the Red Bull pub at Red Bull this year. I understand the Romping Donkey has changed management so may be worth a look.

Someone on the forum recommended the Kings Head on the Macc where you go down some windy steps from the towpath - near the Gurnett Aquaduct. We were not disappointed.

I'm always a big fan of Castlefield Basin for a night and Dukes 92 Pate/Cheese counter.

Moorings wise, you can't beat the bottom of Bosley. Bugsworth is definately worth the diversion if you have the time.

Edited by RichardH

No suggestions for pubs as I haven't got my notes with me ! From memory can concur the ones at Red Bull, Lock 69 cafe (providing you can stand the noise of the M6 all night) and the chip shop at Wheelock all good. Remember Manchester having some great restaurants near to Castlefiled Basin which was very welcome after decending Ashton/Rochdale 9. Higher Poynton has a decent pub (food and beer good) on the road to the Anson Museum

I have boated along the majority of the route and for the benefit of others captured timings so real times as opposed to calculated can be used. The Macc particuarly can be slow in parts as ther is plenty of soft mud in the cut

Link: http://www.boatmail.co.uk/canal%20info.html

The Cheshire ring is wonderful I was brunged up around the Cheshire area and i would say the Macc canal and Peak forest are brilliant, the Trent & Mersey is interesting, around Lymm is cool and well worth a stop over, forgot the Anderton boat lift again cool, then you enter the Industrial part of Manchester which if you do your history is very fulfilling, Stretford and the Castlefield area wonderful and the gay village in the city centre is really interesting but i don't think you can moor in it, don't be afraid the people are Manc like me and they don't bite !!!

Later when you join the Ashton canal you will of been told of previous problems on the stretch, and advised to be aware due to vandals and general scum bags.

I used to live in this area and to be honest the horrible folk still exist (a bit like the Dickens type who have to rob to survive) however don't let me put you off... :lol: I would suggest you pass through the area around lock 11 in Clayton early to mid morning (before the scum get the Giro's or not) don't leave any valubles in view just in case and don't talk to any kids on mountain bikes ( sorry if I'm making it sound awful it's not that bad) I saw an American couple going through and they hung their camera on the winding gear, which is asking for trouble.

Within one hour you will be off and away onto the Peak Forest through Ashton U Lyne and the Portland basin museum which I really recommend, just moor up and spend an hour or so.

Hope you have a great time, and don't let this lot put you off.....better to be prepared :lol:

I've only done the Cheshire "U" between Castlefield and Marple, but others I have spoken to say that it's easier to come down the Rochdale rather than up it due to the amount of water coming down and the heavy gates. Not sure whether this is still the case. I'm sure others can explain.

Later when you join the Ashton canal you will of been told of previous problems on the stretch, and advised to be aware due to vandals and general scum bags.

I used to live in this area and to be honest the horrible folk still exist (a bit like the Dickens type who have to rob to survive) however don't let me put you off... :lol: I would suggest you pass through the area around lock 11 in Clayton early to mid morning (before the scum get the Giro's or not) don't leave any valubles in view just in case and don't talk to any kids on mountain bikes ( sorry if I'm making it sound awful it's not that bad) I saw an American couple going through and they hung their camera on the winding gear, which is asking for trouble.

Sorry dooes this mean you thought when you moved out you were the last of the scum (as you call the locals) to move out.

I did Ashton this year with no problems (except rubish on prop) the locals I spoke to seemed friendly and the children genuinly interested infact one group stayed and locked me through about 5 locks.

... and the chip shop at Wheelock ...

Yeah? They were bloody awful when I had fish and chips in there a few months back. The most greasy and tasteless I've had in a long while. The pubs round there are pretty good, though.

Rising Sun at Kent Green (Maccy Br.87)

And if you can face it - there's the 1 mile walk upto Mow Cop for a wonderful view of the counties. 1000+ft above sea level, and on good days you can see for hundreds of miles around. Rather nice pub up there, too, but it's one hell of a walk to get there! Worth it, though.

And if you can face it - there's the 1 mile walk upto Mow Cop for a wonderful view of the counties. 1000+ft above sea level, and on good days you can see for hundreds of miles around. Rather nice pub up there, too, but it's one hell of a walk to get there! Worth it, though.

Do they sell oxygen on draught? :lol:

others I have spoken to say that it's easier to come down the Rochdale rather than up it due to the amount of water coming down and the heavy gates. Not sure whether this is still the case. I'm sure others can explain.

Not sure how that works, surely you have to open and close the gates at both ends to lock through.....

We last worked down Aston, late one afternoon in pouring rain. No trouble as we never saw another sole, however my ex was bordering on hypothermic by the time we reached the bottom, so I wouldn't recommend it from choice.....

Thanks for your advise, especially around Ashton. One question though, we were thinking of going anti clockwise round starting at Anderton but people seem to be describing it the other way. What is best?

IMHO, Anti-clockwise is the easiest way to do it.

As has already been identified the area in which you are most likely to encounter low-level anti-social behaviour is Clayton.

And it is worth pointing out that we are talking low-level problems. This is kids mucking about near the lock, pestering for a ride, or getting in the way as you try to work a lock. Even if you do encounter them, you will have no problems, as long as you talk to them, and politely decline a ride (sorry mate I'm not insured to carry passengers).

That said, it makes for a more pleasant trip if you get through Clayton before there are too many of them to be nice to!

The nearest safe and pleasant mooring to Clayton is at Portland Basin, so going anti-clockwise means that it is far easier to get through early in the day.

Doing it this way also means that after the hard slog of 27 locks in a single day, you get a lock-free day to unwind, rather than having to face Marple the next day

There are hundreds of nice pubs on the Cheshire Ring and one or two lousy ones, I always think it is part of the fun finding the good ones, that senses of anticipation of delight or horror as you walk in.. Most of the reasoning for going in a particular direction no longer applies but I always recommend on balance, anti-clockwise..

You may have a hard day doing the Ashton and then the Rochdale 9 with perhaps a short stop in Castlefield, you will then have a very lazy day on the lock-free Bridgewater.

Edited by John Orentas

Given the time of year you are going to need most of the available daylight to get round in a week.

For good beer and cider the Blue Bell at Hardingswood Junction is not to be missed, although it doesn't do food. It's also only open evenings and not at all on Monday.

Will be off for our 2nd ever canal boat holiday in 2 weeks. It's actually our honeymoon! This time last year we went from Alvechurch to Stratford and back in 5 days. This year we are going to do the Cheshire Ring in a week. I'm starting to think about the plan and wanted to know your suggestions for what would be a good distance each day whcih gives us a good stop each night. We would probably like to have a pub to stop at most nights so that we can eat out a few nights and cook the others. Any suggestions on good and bad ones to avoid are most welcome. Also if any of the pubs are good real ale pubs then so m,uch the better.

Worth noting that there is an emergency stoppage on the Ashton Canal section of the Cheshire Ring, From Waterscape:

Update ( 16 October 2008)

Following on from the stoppage notice issued on Wednesday 15th October, the Ashton Canal remains closed to through navigation.

British Waterways staff have completed their investigations and due to the extent of the damage a new lock gate is required. The British Waterways workshop has been informed, timber has been ordered and a new gate will be manufactured as soon as possible.

An update notice will be issued on Friday 24th October.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

---------------------------

Not sure how long it takes to make and fit a new gate but it could be closed for a while.

Tim

Sorry for late reply but COTSWOLDSMAN I think you best stick to your tweedie little set down there, because i'm telling you the bast*rds in Clayton would have your gold teeth out without you feeling a thing, my mate is a lockeeper further up in Droylsden and he tells me how bad they are even to him, it is possible to go through without a hitch but be very afraid if the hunting pack get you!!!!!

And I'm not scum so take that back you fool

Edited by sidewaysid

The truth is, as always, somewhere between...

The surroundings of the Ashton Canal are not the sort of area I would book a holiday cottage, or even live if I had a choice, however 99% of boats go through without any trouble, or more probably 99.9%

There onbviously is trouble, I was berated for leaving a paddle up because "they will drain the canal" (with the hydraulics, you can't always tell it's up) and the berater obvioulsy knew this was an inevitable outcome, not that she would have been my idea of a dinner guest herself, but trouble will tend to avoid you if you avoid it. Start early, normal urban precautions like keeping cabin doors closed (putting that £700 digital camera down when you works the locks is asking for trouble anywhere, just more so here) and you will be fine.

For all you doom mongers, it may surprise you, in the deserted and incredibly scenic valleys to the south east of Bath we have huge problems with this sort of thing, stone copings on the old locks in combe hay have been pushed off, and they weigh over a ton, and we've given up with interpretation boards, they last a week. A remote disused quarry has a burnt out tent, needles, condoms and empty vodka bottles. it looks idyllic until you look closely

Edited by magpie patrick

Update on Ashton Canal closure from Waterscape (Looks like you won't be doing the Cheshire Ring):

Locks 1 - 18

Wednesday 15 October 2008 until further notice

Update (24 October 2008)

Following on from the stoppage notice issued on Thursday 16th October, the Ashton Canal remains closed to through navigation.

The workshop team have measured up the gate and have started constructing the replacement; however it may take up to four weeks to restore navigation.

An update notice will be issued on Friday 14th November.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Tim

Sorry for late reply but COTSWOLDSMAN I think you best stick to your tweedie little set down there, because i'm telling you the bast*rds in Clayton would have your gold teeth out without you feeling a thing, my mate is a lockeeper further up in Droylsden and he tells me how bad they are even to him, it is possible to go through without a hitch but be very afraid if the hunting pack get you!!!!!

And I'm not scum so take that back you fool

Sorry thought it was you that said that all people that lived there were all scum. Then you mentioned that you used to live there. I must have miss read what you said.

Not sure what Tweedie means but guess it must be better than being called scum.