Hire Boats Gas Steet Basin in early 1960's

Lizzy J

Featured Posts

There was a "Stringbean" about at one time. Do you remember Tony Miles who lived on the "Grace"?

The name yes, vaguely. The "Grace" is in the forefront of several of my photos of the Worcester Bar from that period, and I remember sitting in the back cabin of one of those boats drinking tea - or maybe something stronger.... Is there a connection between Tony Miles and said "Stringbean"?

John is still at CRT now. I first came across him when Ian Kemp was building Gazell for me as he was at that time living at Dadfords

So it's you who owns Gazelle? That's one very handsome looking boat - I've been studying the many photos on Ian Kemp's Facebook page! Couldn't interest you in a swap for a small farm and some land in Transylvania could I?? rolleyes.gif

The name yes, vaguely. The "Grace" is in the forefront of several of my photos of the Worcester Bar from that period, and I remember sitting in the back cabin of one of those boats drinking tea - or maybe something stronger.... Is there a connection between Tony Miles and said "Stringbean"?

No connection. Tony was the centre of the social scene at that time. He had a senior position at a school in Handsworth, and introduced many of his colleagues to the canal.

rovingrom, on 28 Dec 2014 - 9:26 PM, said:rovingrom, on 28 Dec 2014 - 9:26 PM, said:

So it's you who owns Gazelle? That's one very handsome looking boat - I've been studying the many photos on Ian Kemp's Facebook page! Couldn't interest you in a swap for a small farm and some land in Transylvania could I?? rolleyes.gif

I think not altho I have looked at property in RO and BG along the Danube. I have fancied having another boat built but I am struggling to find anything interesting.

Another name who was also around Gas Street is Phil Babb who did most of the fitout of Gazelle he still lives in his lockhouse on the Tardebigge flight.

Edited by Jim Evans

archie57, on 28 Dec 2014 - 8:47 PM, said:snapback.png

Various people steered the packet, such as Barry Burgess and Malcolm Wigley

Yes - Malcolm (Wigley) - he was the guy I remember steering the "Packet". I learnt some good stuff from him, mainly (not solely) about canals and the BCN. Any idea if he is still about? I owe him a debt of gratitude..... Well, a couple of pints at least! smile.png

I have to say - this Forum is EXCELLENT! I've only been a member for about 48 hours and already most of my questions have been answered. With Archi57's help I have recovered the name of my former trip boat colleague - Malcolm Wigley. A Google search for his name brings me straight back to this Forum with the following:

dave moore Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:30 AM

Hi all
Haven't seen Saltaire for years. I recall that it was Dave Harris who put the bows on. IN the late 80s she was owned by Malcolm Wigley ( brother of Graham Wigly of Birmingham Midland CCC) and I lettered her for him at Brummagem boats at the time. The livery was greys/black I think. Malcolm sold the boat (reluctantly) and emigrated to New Zealand. I've no more recent info, I'm afraid. Cheers, Dave

So whilst it seems unlikely that I might bump into Malcom one day in Hatton locks, that does close one chapter of my enquires, AND has saved me the cost of a couple of pints!

Now all the Forum has to do is to find me my future wife and boat - not necessarily at the same time - and ALL my problems will be solved.

A tall order? Not for this Forum it would seem... ! cloud9.gif

Edited by rovingrom

So it's you who owns Gazelle? That's one very handsome looking boat - I've been studying the many photos on Ian Kemp's Facebook page! Couldn't interest you in a swap for a small farm and some land in Transylvania could I??

I think not altho I have looked at property in RO and BG along the Danube. I have fancied having another boat built but I am struggling to find anything interesting.

Another name who was also around Gas Street is Phil Babb who did most of the fitout of Gazelle he still lives in his lockhouse on the Tardebigge flight.

Struggling to find something interesting? I'm sure you would find my 1860's Saxon farmhouse in SE Transylvania very interesting! I'll throw in the live steam model railway in the garden AND my travel business if you like?!

rovingrom, on 28 Dec 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

No connection. Tony was the centre of the social scene at that time. He had a senior position at a school in Handsworth, and introduced many of his colleagues to the canal.

There's a cacophony of bell-ringing going off inside my head, but no it wasn't Tony that introduced me to the canal! I was already well involved by the time I got to Alan Green's town planning department at City of Brum Polytechnic in 1975......

Not strictly correct as John had the two buttys for a while, he lived on MARCELLUS with Lyn but owned CAM whilst it was being restored by Ian Kemp at Ellesmere Port. MARCELLUS was for sale for a little while after CAM was completed.

Quite correct Pete, I bought Marcellus and because Blisworth Tunnel was still closed we agreed for him to carry on living on her until the following Easter when The NBOC rally would be at Oxford.

Living in London at the time I traveled up the Thames for the rally. Marcellus was brought down via The Oxford by the then owner of Bath who was also attending the rally.

I returned via The Thames and kept both my boats at Jim MacDonald's Stink Hole.

The following year we did a fly run from TVAM studios Camden to Central TV Studios at Gas Street with support from both TV Stations we raised over £5K for Barnardos.

It was a fare sum of money back then.

We were also supported by actor Glynn Edwards of "Minder" fame.

Talking of Malcolm Wigley reminds me of a party we once attended on the "Grace" being towed by the "Banstead". We were travelling along near Edgbaston Tunnel and Malcolm was chatting up a voluptuous blonde while standing on the motor's gunnels. One thing led to another (so I am told) and instead of holding on to the handrail they were holding on to each other - the inevitable happened and the next we knew they were thrashing around in the canal behind us!

rovingrom, on 28 Dec 2014 - 10:20 PM, said:

So it's you who owns Gazelle? That's one very handsome looking boat - I've been studying the many photos on Ian Kemp's Facebook page! Couldn't interest you in a swap for a small farm and some land in Transylvania could I??

Struggling to find something interesting? I'm sure you would find my 1860's Saxon farmhouse in SE Transylvania very interesting! I'll throw in the live steam model railway in the garden AND my travel business if you like?!

Sod the business I'm even older than you! What guage railway 5", 71/4"? I personally have a liking for 'East' european ladies suprised that you cannot find one out in RO.

I'm sure that Ian Kemp would be quite happy to build another Bushells styled tug like Gazelle nobody has tried it since and she was started in 1999 atho a few people have talked about doing it.

Another name is Marian Kemp who worked I believe at Brummingem boats before she married Ian Kemp.

Also was Phil Speight moored at Gas street for a while?

zenataomm, on 28 Dec 2014 - 11:07 PM, said:

Quite correct Pete, I bought Marcellus and because Blisworth Tunnel was still closed we agreed for him to carry on living on her until the following Easter when The NBOC rally would be at Oxford.

Living in London at the time I traveled up the Thames for the rally. Marcellus was brought down via The Oxford by the then owner of Bath who was also attending the rally.

I returned via The Thames and kept both my boats at Jim MacDonald's Stink Hole.

The following year we did a fly run from TVAM studios Camden to Central TV Studios at Gas Street with support from both TV Stations we raised over £5K for Barnardos.

It was a fare sum of money back then.

We were also supported by actor Glynn Edwards of "Minder" fame.

Am I correct that this is the Marcellus which is now a motor? I helped that up the Thames in 2007 floods when it was owned by John Wilkinson.

Edited by Jim Evans

Hi everyone. Some of you (especially Dave Moore) may remember me helping out on Saturdays at Brum Boats from about 1983-7. I was at Birmingham School of Architecture and also involved with the BCNS at the time - I was editor of 'Boundary Post' from about 1986-1990.

Just to confirm a few things that have been said already:

Planetfleet Cruisers were indeed based on Lichfield Road, Aston, below Aston bottom lock. I didn't think Alan Green had a connection with them, but I may be wrong. They didn't last long - the company records on the net show they were formed in 1972 and I think they must have been bought out (in about 1980?) by Black Prince as a search on Google gives the company's last trading address as 'Black Prince Marina, Whixall'. I seem to recall that BP bought out a lot of small companies at this time simply for the hire licences.

Pete H has got all the details of the early Brum Boats exactly correct.

Andy Boucher owned 'Cassiopeia', and he worked with Tony Miles running the Coventry Education Department's boats 'Dresden Lady' and 'Dove of Belgrade' in about 1979-82.

At that time Tony took 'Grace' to Coventry Basin, and the boat was there when there was a breach of the canal a mile from the basin in about 1980-81 and 'Grace' sat on the dried up bed of the canal at the basin for some time until the breach was repaired. I think during this time the boat (being wooden) dried out a lot and sank when the canal was refilled. I don't think Tony wanted her by then as he and Andy had started restoring the pair of cottages by the middle lock at Hillmorton, and 'Grace' may have been given away- by then in a very poor state of repair.

Barrie Stanton is still boating (he moors at Black Buoy at Knowle) and I have his email address - if anybody wants it PM me.

I remember Glyn Edwards - didn't he buy a Brumtug ?

Hi John

It's all a long time ago now! As I recall, Alan Green ran Planet Cruisers prior to his involvement with Brum Boats. I was part of a crew who hired in the early 70s, a teacher friend took some of his students for a week's boating. I still keep in regular touch with Keith Meadowcroft, the marine electrician and engineer, he trades as Volt Master these days. If you haven't seen Sherborne St for some time,,it's much changed these days and is due for further redevelopment soon.

I think Sam and Vi Minton lived on Grace in Gas St in the mid 60s, then bought a more modern steel boat.

Mike Russell is still in Gas St, he steers for the various companies based there, still has Stentor. Any idea what happened to Bunny, the receptionist? I broke contact after she told me in Helios one night that I'd married the wrong woman...28 years on, Gail and I are still together. I've touched base with Julian on a couple of occasions, once with Jonathan, looking then the image of his father, in more ways than one. Like you I see Barry from time to time, the last when he had Kubina on the slip at Hawne Basin. I was also in touch years ago with Julia, she and Tom set up at Evesham as Heritage Boatbuilders, though I believe she has moved on since.

Any other memories?

Cheers

Dave

Am I correct that this is the Marcellus which is now a motor? I helped that up the Thames in 2007 floods when it was owned by John Wilkinson.

Both ends of the butty are now motors called Marcellus. Both boats were the product of Ian Clifton. He and Zita (my first wife, now married to Phil Speight) lived on the full length conversion.

The shorter bit (Stern going backwards) was originally named Marcel.

workingdownatherstone.jpg

Hi John

It's all a long time ago now! As I recall, Alan Green ran Planet Cruisers prior to his involvement with Brum Boats. I was part of a crew who hired in the early 70s, a teacher friend took some of his students for a week's boating. I still keep in regular touch with Keith Meadowcroft, the marine electrician and engineer, he trades as Volt Master these days. If you haven't seen Sherborne St for some time,,it's much changed these days and is due for further redevelopment soon.

I think Sam and Vi Minton lived on Grace in Gas St in the mid 60s, then bought a more modern steel boat.

Mike Russell is still in Gas St, he steers for the various companies based there, still has Stentor. Any idea what happened to Bunny, the receptionist? I broke contact after she told me in Helios one night that I'd married the wrong woman...28 years on, Gail and I are still together. I've touched base with Julian on a couple of occasions, once with Jonathan, looking then the image of his father, in more ways than one. Like you I see Barry from time to time, the last when he had Kubina on the slip at Hawne Basin. I was also in touch years ago with Julia, she and Tom set up at Evesham as Heritage Boatbuilders, though I believe she has moved on since.

Any other memories?

Cheers

Dave

Sam and Vi lived on the Edna Grace, an old severner I believe. their son John had the wooden motor "Victoria", ex- John Greens and Wyvern shipping

Thanks Archie.

I was 50% right. As I said, it's a long time ago now, a lot of water has passed under Broad St bridge since those days! Do you remember the plank and pivot that gave access to the basin in the mid 60s? No handrail etc. then a wider hand railed one, further along the stop. As a youngster, the single plank could present a challenge after a few beers in the Crown!

Cheers

Dave

I remember the later one. Do you recall Mr Ryle, a true gentleman who lived on the converted "Cassiopeia"? If you wanted a drink with him, you had to be early doors in the "Crown" as he went home for his supper about 7 without fail - trouble was, someone else you knew would always turn up and you ended up staying for the duration ( I couldn't do it now!)

Indeed I do.. The conversion was done by Malcolm at Norton Canes. A gentleman of the old school, wasn't he also looked after by his son Chris? He was tied over the plank bridge, where the Mintons used to be. We travelled together to the Liverpool rally in 1968, I was with Tony Phillips on Tay and Charlie Foster steered Cassiopiea for the Royles. I still have slides from the trip somewhere! Jim Marshall was there too with Enterprise and Dunlin, I'm still in touch from time to time....those were the days!

Dave

I remember the later one. Do you recall Mr Ryle, a true gentleman who lived on the converted "Cassiopeia"? If you wanted a drink with him, you had to be early doors in the "Crown" as he went home for his supper about 7 without fail - trouble was, someone else you knew would always turn up and you ended up staying for the duration ( I couldn't do it now!)

Did you ever have a go on Pisgah when he bought that. I have memories of steering up the Severn in massive loops as there were about two turns of slack on the wheel steering. After Mr Ryle went home, I usually ended up chatting with George Radford, who was another regular in the Crown.

Hi John

Any other memories?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave.

I'm afraid Bunny passed away in July 2012. Quite a few of us who had kept in touch (including Barry) met up for a drink to celebrate her life shortly afterwards, but I didn't realise you didn't know.

I'll PM you a copy of a photo of one of those nights in Helios !

I have a few other memories, and quite a few photos, but I think we ought to start a seperate thread specially for Brumboats to accommodate those !

John

Hi Dave.

I'm afraid Bunny passed away in July 2012. Quite a few of us who had kept in touch (including Barry) met up for a drink to celebrate her life shortly afterwards, but I didn't realise you didn't know.

I'll PM you a copy of a photo of one of those nights in Helios !

I have a few other memories, and quite a few photos, but I think we ought to start a seperate thread specially for Brumboats to accommodate those !

John

This has saddened me a little, although I suppose this is to be expected as we all get older. Bunny was unbelievably tolerant of me using the office (read 'shed') telephone when I was courting in 1983. I will always remember her wail of PETER when I was needed, and I had my boats tied at the far end of the wharf under the F.M.C. Ltd. canopy and could hear her easily. Ironically Bunny passed at about the same time as my marriage to the girl on the telephone collapsed (29 years and 5 sons later).

Back then Mike Russell was a naval Captain and lived on a Hancock & Lane Norseman named ARCTURUS, painted plain green - and he was married to Ann.

Hi everyone. Some of you (especially Dave Moore) may remember me helping out on Saturdays at Brum Boats from about 1983-7.

So we must have met then captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

This has saddened me a little, although I suppose this is to be expected as we all get older. Bunny was unbelievably tolerant of me using the office (read 'shed') telephone when I was courting in 1983. I will always remember her wail of PETER when I was needed, and I had my boats tied at the far end of the wharf under the F.M.C. Ltd. canopy and could hear her easily. Ironically Bunny passed at about the same time as my marriage to the girl on the telephone collapsed (29 years and 5 sons later).

Back then Mike Russell was a naval Captain and lived on a Hancock & Lane Norseman named ARCTURUS, painted plain green - and he was married to Ann.

So we must have met then captain.gif

Yes, Bunny's passing saddened us all, but I'm sure we all have fond memories of her !

I remember Arcturus well - when Stentor (as a bare shell) was built, myself and Mike took both boats up to Snarestone for Stentor to be fitted out.

Yes, we must have met, though I'm sorry I can't remember you !! Cheers anyway !cheers.gif

I boated many times on Arcturus with Mike Russell in 84/5. As Pete says he held a master's ticket, though I don't think he ever took command of a ship. My abiding memory is steering the boat towards Pudding Green while he enjoyed fleshly pleasures with a young woman who had turned up at Sherborne St......cue the next script!!

Dave