If money were no object

Daftmare

Featured Posts

I'd want all the steel work completing and to have the boat moveable, that's about it. The fitout, and all the other work could be done by myself over time back at the moorings.

A real one would be even better but it's finding one!

Get down to Raven's Ait, and do a deal on Pegasus-now there's a boat that's desperate for a new loving owner.....

Buy yourself a real one-it'll be much cheaper!

Exactly. And another advantage is it will actually be a real one!

If talking unconverted boats, I can't really understand the urge to add new ones to the system, when there are so many originals in need of some serious TLC.

OK, I know there are never that many officially for sale, but given the number one sees that never move, and which are slowly deteriorating, it can't hurt to make enquiries if you are serious about finding one. 95% of the time the current owner will probably say "get lost", but I bet there are one or two that people might be prepared to part with if the price is right.

Exactly. And another advantage is it will actually be a real one!

If talking unconverted boats, I can't really understand the urge to add new ones to the system, when there are so many originals in need of some serious TLC.

OK, I know there are never that many officially for sale, but given the number one sees that never move, and which are slowly deteriorating, it can't hurt to make enquiries if you are serious about finding one. 95% of the time the current owner will probably say "get lost", but I bet there are one or two that people might be prepared to part with if the price is right.

Absolutely right-agree wholeheartedly.

I'd want all the steel work completing and to have the boat moveable, that's about it. The fitout, and all the other work could be done by myself over time back at the moorings.

A real one would be even better but it's finding one!

If you are not already a member join the HNBOC, their newsletter and e-mail list ofted advertise historic boats for sale/wanted.

Tim

I'd assumed he was included among their number. But is he still building new boats?

Yes Ian is still building the occasional new boat - a josher cabinned replica is currently nearing completion outside whilst in the shed Dave Harris has almost finished a Large Woolwich replica with full length cabin.

Nobody has mentioned New Boat Company (I don't think). Without inviting bad comments, has anybody got any good ones?

I am only asking about them, as they have an Open Day in October and we thought we might go and have a nose around.

J.

Nobody has mentioned New Boat Company (I don't think). Without inviting bad comments, has anybody got any good ones?

I am only asking about them, as they have an Open Day in October and we thought we might go and have a nose around.

J.

Well, the main point was 'if money were no object' so I guess people are indulging their fantasies rather than looking to the more attainable end of the market.

There have been other threads about who people would recommend more generally and I'm sure they've been mentioned there.

Well, the main point was 'if money were no object' so I guess people are indulging their fantasies rather than looking to the more attainable end of the market.

There have been other threads about who people would recommend more generally and I'm sure they've been mentioned there.

Thanks, yes. I forgot the format of my own original question!

J.

.......whilst in the shed Dave Harris has almost finished a Large Woolwich replica with full length cabin.

Now that is a bit unusual.

In my opinion a full length cabin sits better on the Stars than the Towns, the latter always presenting loads of hull side and not much cabin top, and looking a bit unbalanced.

Personally the only reason I can see for building a cabined replica to Town rather than Star dimensions is if you are desperate for as much living space as possible inside. I guess the deeper hull-sides give a bit more scope with what you can do with beds and fixed furniture.

Could be worse, I suppose - fully cabined Royally replica, anybody ?

Not sure who that was aimed at Andy, but I agree...

I want an "original" boat... I would consider a fully cabined boat actually, but the first job would be to remove it :lol:

Yes, it's ironic that they're always more expensive with a cabin when all you'd want to do would be to take it off. Unless it was an early Malcolm Braine one perhaps - historic interest in itself.

Not sure who that was aimed at Andy, but I agree...

I want an "original" boat... I would consider a fully cabined boat actually, but the first job would be to remove it :lol:

That's what we did, thinking the hull would be better preserved, how wrong I was.

Andrew

Edited by dove

Andrew, oh? Have you had second thoughts about deconverting it now?

How come, if you don't mind me asking?

Knowing Dove/Britannia before Andrew purchased her I think we all felt that the hull may have been in better condition due to the full length cabin fitted.

When the restoration/deconversion took place it was found not to be in as good condition as previously thought

BUT she looks stunning now :lol:

Keep hinting to Lise about deconverting Baldock to no avail.......

Chris

Dave Harris or Brinklow or Ian Kemp for a narrow boat (or Roger Fuller or Norton Canes while I`m at it). Sagar Marine or Ledgard Bridge or the shade of someone in Holland for a wide beam . Rosyth for a real boat - preferably with a bloody big gun or two. Some of the choices in this stream demonstrate that people are less and less concerned about a boat`s actual integrity as a boat and a piece of engineering/fabrication. I will henceforth remain silent on that particular subject. Until the day I retire from professional life on the canal. I`ll have a lot to say then ! We see them without their clothes on. As it were !

Phil

Now that is a bit unusual.

In my opinion a full length cabin sits better on the Stars than the Towns, the latter always presenting loads of hull side and not much cabin top, and looking a bit unbalanced.

Personally the only reason I can see for building a cabined replica to Town rather than Star dimensions is if you are desperate for as much living space as possible inside. I guess the deeper hull-sides give a bit more scope with what you can do with beds and fixed furniture.

Could be worse, I suppose - fully cabined Royally replica, anybody ?

In this instance it also allows many of the boat`s systems to be out of the way under the floor. If anyone wants to see a piece of genuine high class fabrication come and look at it.

Phil

J.

I too thought we were talking about money being no object. New Boat company do a good job in their niche - but it isn`t anywhere near the end of the market we are theoretically discussing.

phil

We see them without their clothes on. As it were !

Yes I've worked on a few that a sea searcher would struggle to stick to!

I was looking through my photos of the lifeboat, to post on the "numbers" thread and was reminded that I own the boat I'd like to own, if money were no object:

1b809-D0SUHrsjB-HT9BRB1f-VTnEPLcwhqWv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

If money were, indeed, no object, though, she'd spend some time at Saul Junction being restored to as new condition(once the Scillonian Pilot Cutter was finished, of course!).