Don't moor here, and tunnels?

claymore

Featured Posts

:rolleyes:

Avoid the Leighton Buzzard area! Just been on a trip to help a friend bring a boat back from oop north and we moored near a tescos in L'Buzzard and woke up to find our generator nicked, spoke to a boat yard mechanic a bit further down to find we're not the only one's to have this happen, he told me about somebody who was using theirs when it stopped, so went to find some fuel got outside to find the ropes cut and two blokes running off with the genny! B*~#X*ds!

Tunnels, we went through the braunston and blissworth tunnels... can you really get 2 boats through these? Luckily nothing came in the other direction but these really do look narrow?

I moor outside Tescos at Linslade every time I go down the Grand Union and have never had any trouble, hopefully it is just one peson who will eventually get caught. there used to be a Mooring Warden there, but he moved onto the land a few years ago and I am not sure whether he was ever replaced.

As far as Blisworth and Brauston tunnels are concerned - no problem, I have been through them dozens of times and there is plenty of room and my boat is 7ft wide not the more common 6ft 10 ins width that most modern boats are built to. A few years ago I as going north through Braunston tunnel and I could hear an engine but could not see a boat, eventually we sighted the bow of a Working boat (towing a butty) with no lights on at all. we passed successfully without touching each other or the tunnel sides. Blisworth can be a bit tight if you meet another boat on the wiggley bit in the middle, but apart from that it is fine

I agree with David. There is absolutely no problem passing other narrowboats in Blisworth and Braunston tunnels. Both are over 14' wide so boats no more than 7' wide can pass. The occasional broad beam boat does go through but special arrangements have to be made with BW (who like to tell you that the GU was not built for wide boats).

The trick is to slow right down (tickover) when you get close to an oncoming boat and move over as close to the right hand wall as possible - but don't stop. That will just p**s me off if I am behind you and the water action might suck you against the other boat. Don't worry about rubbing the wall - it's just paint off the rubbing strakes (and that's what they're for).

Finally, don't run with fenders down unless they are those thin pipe types. I lost a brand new rope fender in Blisworth that I had forgotten to lift. It caught on a protusion and went with a wonderful bang! Did you get it on your prop?

I had an incident in Braunston Tunnel a couple of years ago. There was a boat following us quite close behind, which was very annoying, blinding us with his tunnel light. We couldn't go any faster, as there was a third boat a liitle way in front of us. Another boat came the other way, travelling too quickly. As he passed us, both of our boats swung into the centre of the tunnel due to the suction effect. He went smack into the boat that was too close behind us. We were fine, not a touch, but there were lot of raised voices behind us as we left.

So: Slow down when you meet another boat, and don't go too close behind the one in front.

James

Edited by James Bell

If you wait until no narrowboats are in either tunnel you will be waiting a very long time indeed. Braunston is over 2000 yards and Blisworth more than 3000 yards long. At the busiest times both will have many boats in them and from the entrances you cannot tell what sort they are.

Most narrowbat steerers will slow right down (tickover) when they see a cruiser in a tunnel coming towards them and you should do the same - slow down and keep well over to the right. If you have difficulty keeping your boat in position, some tunnels have chains fixed to wall that you can hold to keep your boat in. I can't remember if these tunnels have them.

Unfortunately, there is a very small number of people who do not pay enough regard to other users - but take heart. In over 20 years of boating, I have never seen a cruiser crushed in a tunnel or even heard of it happening.

• 3 years later...

If??? I go to Foxton next year I will have to go through a tunnel. Now the best way I can do this is to stop boats coming by sending someone on foot over the top, to warn boats approaching.

I think just nailing a bit of 1/2x1 1/2 pine to the top sides of the wheelhouse should protect any rubbing of the tunnel roof that might occur.

Has anyone else taken an unusual boat through a tunnel, and if so, what were your experiences?

If??? I go to Foxton next year I will have to go through a tunnel. Now the best way I can do this is to stop boats coming by sending someone on foot over the top, to warn boats approaching.

I think just nailing a bit of 1/2x1 1/2 pine to the top sides of the wheelhouse should protect any rubbing of the tunnel roof that might occur.

Has anyone else taken an unusual boat through a tunnel, and if so, what were your experiences?

If you cant pass a boat coming the other way in a tunnel you have to get BW permission to enter (1). This means an early start and they will hold traffic for you at the other end.

(1) London tunnels and some up north excepted as these are always one way working only.

Julian

Just a word on generators: It doesn't sound as if the one mentioned in the original post was chained and locked up at the time, but an unlocked generator will dissapear remarkably quickly even if actually in use at the time. Ropes aren't good enough to stop thieves and you don't have to be in Leighton Buzzard, it happens everywhere.

Edited by blackrose

Just a word on generators: It doesn't sound as if the one mentioned in the original post was chained and locked up at the time, but an unlocked generator will dissapear remarkably quickly even if actually in use at the time. Ropes aren't good enough to stop thieves and you don't have to be in Leighton Buzzard, it happens everywhere.

always worth having a prod about in the cut behind the boat in case some little bleeder has shoved it in. A friend of mine had his generator pushed in the Thames at Lechlade by some very aggressive adolescent cows in a field near the bridge. The state of youth today is appalling.

I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the beneficial aspects of a post winter solstice celebration day. The nights actually ARE getting shorter now.

Have a qualitatively enjoyable nocturnal period :D

:D

Avoid the Leighton Buzzard area! Just been on a trip to help a friend bring a boat back from oop north and we moored near a tescos in L'Buzzard and woke up to find our generator nicked, spoke to a boat yard mechanic a bit further down to find we're not the only one's to have this happen, he told me about somebody who was using theirs when it stopped, so went to find some fuel got outside to find the ropes cut and two blokes running off with the genny! B*~#X*ds!

Tunnels, we went through the braunston and blissworth tunnels... can you really get 2 boats through these? Luckily nothing came in the other direction but these really do look narrow?

Anyone who doesnt chain their genny down and padlock it sort of deserves all they get. Unless of course they think we live in a honest World.

Keepin my eye out for Santa tonight. Sure that thieving bastard will nick sumut given half a chance. Went bed last year and left a mince pie and half a glass of wine that I cudnt finnish. Bloody gone next morning.

If you cant pass a boat coming the other way in a tunnel you have to get BW permission to enter (1). This means an early start and they will hold traffic for you at the other end.

It is only a short tunnel, and I've been told from a reliable source that this is the best way to do it......send someone on foot over the hill to stop boats entering from the other end.

It will probably be dark anyway, as it was last time, so there won't be many moving boats around. It is a full 12 hour day to go from Thurmaston to Foxton.

As my boat is only nearly 2ft wider than narrowbeam, there is a chance I could pass anyway.

:D Avoid the Leighton Buzzard area! Just been on a trip to help a friend bring a boat back from oop north and we moored near a tescos in L'Buzzard and woke up to find our generator nicked, spoke to a boat yard mechanic a bit further down to find we're not the only one's to have this happen, he told me about somebody who was using theirs when it stopped, so went to find some fuel got outside to find the ropes cut and two blokes running off with the genny! B*~#X*ds!Tunnels, we went through the braunston and blissworth tunnels... can you really get 2 boats through these? Luckily nothing came in the other direction but these really do look narrow?
Just come back from the Marsworth area and there has been an absolute spate of genny thefts in the area including (and especially 6 on one night) from the resident boaters in the area. There have been problems with various camps of travelling caravan folk but not normally targetting canal "travellers". Work on the towpath is that it might be someone who was/is alledgedly a "boater" although anyone who nicks anything from another boater isn't a boater in my books.Hope the bastard fries himself on a dodgy connection ... bad karma etc. Nooooo what am I saying?????, do not be angry, people ultimately get what they deserve although the forces of the universe work in mysterious ways. P.S. If this happens to you please don't forget to report it to the police, post something on the NABO site and also report to BW as the bank staff do care. D
Just come back from the Marsworth area and there has been an absolute spate of genny thefts in the area including (and especially 6 on one night) from the resident boaters in the area. There have been problems with various camps of travelling caravan folk but not normally targetting canal "travellers". Work on the towpath is that it might be someone who was/is alledgedly a "boater" although anyone who nicks anything from another boater isn't a boater in my books.Hope the bastard fries himself on a dodgy connection ... bad karma etc. Nooooo what am I saying?????, do not be angry, people ultimately get what they deserve although the forces of the universe work in mysterious ways. P.S. If this happens to you please don't forget to report it to the police, post something on the NABO site and also report to BW as the bank staff do care. D
Edited by debbifiggy

It is only a short tunnel, and I've been told from a reliable source that this is the best way to do it......send someone on foot over the hill to stop boats entering from the other end.

It will probably be dark anyway, as it was last time, so there won't be many moving boats around. It is a full 12 hour day to go from Thurmaston to Foxton.

As my boat is only nearly 2ft wider than narrowbeam, there is a chance I could pass anyway.

I've lways taken wide beams through in the early hours. I've never bothered sending anyone over and I've certainly never asked BW's permission (one time I know of someone being charged for a BW bod to guard one end and another, when they rang, were told to go through in the early hours.

If I were to be unlucky enough to meet another boat at 3am then I would refer to the arrows on the top wall to see who would have to back out.

Malc, due to your airdraught you won't be able to pass in Saddington tunnel. I'll come with you anyway, I want to take the new boat to Foxton at least once.

I bought a crappy generator from Macro a few years back, and it just wouldn't keep running (even with no load on it) during my fannying about i kicked the fuel filler cap into the cut, so dumped it on the fore peak overnight so the fumes wouldn't cause a danger. an hour or so later some toe rag made off with it. I hope he / she was a smoker :D

and I'll spring for the BW bloke

Edited by fuzzyduck

I've lways taken wide beams through in the early hours. I've never bothered sending anyone over and I've certainly never asked BW's permission (one time I know of someone being charged for a BW bod to guard one end and another, when they rang, were told to go through in the early hours.

If I were to be unlucky enough to meet another boat at 3am then I would refer to the arrows on the top wall to see who would have to back out.

Don't you think that is a bit arrogant Carl? Unless you are very close to the entrance, surely it should be you who reverses, after all it is you who is causing the obstruction.

For them! Who is causing the obstruction for me?

You seem to have missed the point, If you are required to get authorisation from BW to negotiate a tunnel with a boat which is more than 7ft wide, and do not, It is you who is causing the obstructiion. I accept your approach in small tunnels where both ends can be seen from each other, but I personally would be very annoyed if I met an unauthiorised widebeam in Blisworth or Braunston tunnel when I was almost half way through, and was then expected to reverse all the way back.

You seem to have missed the point, If you are required to get authorisation from BW to negotiate a tunnel with a boat which is more than 7ft wide, and do not, It is you who is causing the obstructiion. I accept your approach in small tunnels where both ends can be seen from each other, but I personally would be very annoyed if I met an unauthiorised widebeam in Blisworth or Braunston tunnel when I was almost half way through, and was then expected to reverse all the way back.

But, as I said, advice given by BW is ambiguous. I'm assuming that you are referring to a narrow boat meeting a wide beam.

If I was steering a narrow boat and met a wide beam in a tunnel then I wouldn't object to reversing back, as I would appreciate the effort taken by the wide beam skipper to avoid traffic by setting off at an ungodly hour and I would also understand that reversing the wide beam out of a tunnel would hold me up longer than if I reversed my narrow boat.

Maybe I'm just too easy going.

Malc, due to your airdraught you won't be able to pass in Saddington tunnel. I'll come with you anyway, I want to take the new boat to Foxton at least once.

I bought a crappy generator from Macro a few years back, and it just wouldn't keep running (even with no load on it) during my fannying about i kicked the fuel filler cap into the cut, so dumped it on the fore peak overnight so the fumes wouldn't cause a danger. an hour or so later some toe rag made off with it. I hope he / she was a smoker :D

and I'll spring for the BW bloke

Cheers mate..... :cheers: I remember you losing your genny in Loughborough..........I don't suppose Dan's got a genny with no filler cap :D:D:D

P.S. I really do want to try to make it as far south as possible this year. Arnie said he wants to take his boat to London, however I'm still not sure of his width, but he should be coming with me with a bit of luck.

P.P.S. If we have 3 boats following each other, anyone we meet would have to back out anyway :lol::lol::huh:

Edited by Supermalc