British Waterways By-Laws

RLWP

Featured Posts

So, courtesy of the water point thread we have again been pointed to the on-line version of the BW by-laws here:

http://www.hnboc.org.uk/download/BWbyelaw.pdf

[rant]

If these are the current BW by-laws, how come they are on the HNBOC site? Why aren't they on the BW site?? Why are they not freely available??? How am I supposed to know what by-laws I am supposed to obey if I haven't seen them???? How can I tell that these really are the by-laws and not some historic artifact lurking on the HNBOC website?????

[/rant]

Richard

And another thing.....

But they are an "interesting" read............................

For example, at least a quarter of boats on the system, (including us, currently :lol: ), could be prosecuted for not having the vessels name painted on the outside.

Not only this, it must have a port of registration or an owner displayed too.

All to be visible at 20 yards.

Well BW could raise a bit of revenue out of all of us naughty people who don't currently comply to those exacting requirements.

Seriously though....

I believe they are still current, although you need to modify any early requirement by any subsequent amendments. (Glad to see unauthorised water skiing is not permitted).

I have no idea why they are not mentioned nor available on BW websites, (including Waterscape), nor why the Boater's Guide makes no reference to them.

But then, as they say, ignorance of the law is no defense! :lol:

For example, at least a quarter of boats on the system, (including us, currently :lol: ), could be prosecuted for not having the vessels name painted on the outside.

Not only this, it must have a port of registration or an owner displayed too.

All to be visible at 20 yards.

You've just started a whole new series of rants on NBW, I hope you're pleased with yourself. :lol:

Seriously though....

I believe they are still current,

But then, as they say, ignorance of the law is no defense! :lol:

Just because you believe them to be current doesn't make any difference. These are supposed to by-laws, not an act of faith! How can I cure my ignorance if I can't find a copy of them that I know to be current and from the correct source?

Richard

You've just started a whole new series of rants on NBW, I hope you're pleased with yourself. :lol:

Trying to work out who is trolling here .... The duck man is usually innocent despite often being close on a crime scene :lol:

I personally like the bye-law about using offensive, abusive and indeed "scurrilous" language to an officer of the board.

I love it when fuzzyduck talks dirty :lol:

D

What about section 3 - "No person shall use or leave in any canal any vessel which is not in every respect fit for navigation on the canal or part thereof where it is intended to be used."

Plenty of rants in that one surely? What if you've broken down?

But I think the next section is my favourite - regarding giving to an "authorised officer a full and true declaration in writing" of any cargo, where it was picked up, any deliveries made and where any more deliveries are to be made.

Well, we picked up some baked beans and a loaf of bread at Tescos, and at the moment I've got a couple of full cassettes on board, I'm planning to deliver them.... (in writing of course!)

Seriously, they are clearly written for another world.

Cath

I personally like the bye-law about using offensive, abusive and indeed "scurrilous" language to an officer of the board.

Personally, it would be the best £100 I've ever spent, if I was able to get 10 minutes using scurrilous language to Robin Evans....

OK, so we have had a laugh at some of the by-laws, so I am going to try a different approach.

Has anyone got a copy of the BW by-laws that they have got from BW itself in, say, the last three years?

Richard

OK, so we have had a laugh at some of the by-laws, so I am going to try a different approach.

Has anyone got a copy of the BW by-laws that they have got from BW itself in, say, the last three years?

Richard

How about if we all start asking BW for a copy of these or were we can view online :lol:

How about if we all start asking BW for a copy of these or were we can view online :lol:

what a good idea that should confuse them :lol: i am sure that one of the lic conditions is that you adhere to all the bw bye laws but they don`t send you a copy,,now were`s that bw email address :lol:

Ummh - might pretend i handt seen the bit about no water skiiing - we had a trial last weekend on the wide bit near Kings Langley and figured we had enough speed, and would try this weekend with a board in tow....

joking !!

I have used the email address on here: http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/contact-us

The email address on the Waterscape site here: http://www.waterscape.com/about-us is the same.

Richard

Have mailed this to them....

Please can you mail me a link or send me the BW by-laws as i dont seem to be able to find them listed anywhere in electronic or paper form.

I guess they will be wondering where all the enquiries are originating from :lol:

I got a reply, they're quite quick - I received this link ...

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/newsroom...display/id/1225

not quite the full By-laws, but interesting article, have asked if there is the actual by-laws online also.

I've emailed BW a few times recently, and they've always been pretty quick in replying.

Ummh - might pretend i handt seen the bit about no water skiiing - we had a trial last weekend on the wide bit near Kings Langley and figured we had enough speed, and would try this weekend with a board in tow....

joking !!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=v1oLotZ3lFU

Have mailed this to them....

Please can you mail me a link or send me the BW by-laws as i dont seem to be able to find them listed anywhere in electronic or paper form.

I guess they will be wondering where all the enquiries are originating from :lol:

Just received an instant reply........

Thank you for your email

A copy of these will be in the post today for you.

Justin Davies

Customer Services Advisor

British Waterways

T: 01923 201120

E: enquiries.hq@britishwaterways.co.uk

Boaters Update

BW’s new monthly online newsletter Boaters Update is now available.

View this at www.waterscape.com/boatersupdate

a BW sign saying

NO WATER SKIING!

Please, not even in jest!

BW could even now be pulling their few remaining maintenance staff from actually doing any maintenance to screw/nail/gaffa tape one of these to every balance beam and bridge.

Don't tell me it couldn't happen, after all it's the cilly season..........

Whilst I agree that it is odd that BW does not publish the Bye-laws on their website or in other documents it does not necessarily mean that they do not exist.

In the modern age we seem to have a view that when something is old or time has passed it is less effective or no longer applies. This is not true of laws or bye-laws. They remain in force until they are amended or repealed.

British Waterways refer in some of there press releases to bye-laws, for example.

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/newsroom...display/id/1669

Edited by churchward

Just received an instant reply........

Thank you for your email

A copy of these will be in the post today for you.

Justin Davies

Customer Services Advisor

British Waterways

T: 01923 201120

E: enquiries.hq@britishwaterways.co.uk

Boaters Update

BW's new monthly online newsletter Boaters Update is now available.

View this at www.waterscape.com/boatersupdate

That's excellent. I wonder why I haven't had a reply? Must check my spam filters...

Richard

One could buy the complete BW bye-laws from Stoke Bruerne for just 13 pence. I bought mine in 1977. They were photostats and its clear the online ones are the same.

PS just did a search and found the BW Act 1995 online

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/legResults.as...amp;SortAlpha=0

Also the BW Act 1983 can be downloaded as pdf and it includes the 'section eight' bit

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/localact1983/P...19830002_en.pdf

Any others?

Edited by fender