Water purifier

magnetman

Featured Posts

It is very possible but probably a bit expensive and complex to make it feasible.

Reverse osmosis filtration along with chemical scrubbers and chlorination can produce potable water from almost any source but to do it in anything but a few litres per hour the kit is large and involves big pumps.

Stella Meta are one of the market leaders in the field-

http://www.army-technology.com/contractors/nbc/stella-meta/

Edited by Gary Peacock

I am sure someone sells something at the boat shows that purifies water. I have seen a demonstration of water coming out of a tap that was suposed to be pufified canal water and fit for drinking. Haven't a clue what it is called but if you don't get an answer here try IWA festivals trade.

Sue

There's always some bugger hogging them doing their weekly machine wash. :lol:

Incoming!

Depending on the water pressure and how full the tank is, when I fill up it can take 1.5 - 2 hours as my tank is about 1250 litres. What am I expected to do, move off with only half a tank because someone is waiting? I have water at my mooring so it's not an issue but if I'm away I fill up at any opportunity so that it's never empty.

The signs say that the maximum stop for an argument is 30 minutes, after which you must move on and let someone else have a go.

This in no way invalidates your right to have another 30 minute (max!) argument at the next argument point.

You are of course entitled to argue with my interpretation of the rules, but must still not do so for more than 30 minutes at a time....

Clear?

Well, it would be polite to do so. Friendly. Generous, even.

Well, if there are two taps the waiting boater can fill up at the same time, but the pressure reduction just slows the filling. That's fine by me, I thought we weren't supposed to be in a hurry anyway. I don't mind waiting for someone to fill up so I don't see why others shouldn't wait for me. If anyone's in a hurry they can hurry off to the next water point...

• 5 months later...
Reverse osmosis

300 gallons a day

£120

ebay

you may want a strainer to get the lumps out first tho

I used to sell RO systems - they do take about 4 times the water to produce the stored pure water, but obviously that water goes straight back into the canal - and so does the pure water after a while !

The standard Screwfix domestic system would need a further pre-filter which you would expect to change / clean probably every month and a (e.g. Shurflo) pump to raise the water pressure to the required 30 to 80 PSI for the filter to operate.

The pump would also cycle constantly - every few minutes, dependng on size of the pressure vessel, which could be annoying if run overnight, and does consume power ( not much ) and it would only produce around 20 litres / day, so not a whole-boat solution - great and safe product for drinking / cooking.

As someone said - a whole-boat system would be big, noisy, expensive and power hungry...

Nick

I am looking at some kit from www.purewaterproducts.co.uk along the lines of a couple of 20 inch filters to filter the river/canal water, chlorinate and then into tanks. That water would be used for all except drinking water tap, and at that tap fit their 6 stage water filter units which finishes with a UV treatment. Total cost around £200.