Grossly Excessive speed

mayalld

Featured Posts

"Only one side considers the effect they are having on other people (or cares about it)"

And have you ever considered the effect you have in demanding people slow to a crawl when they pass you? Just because you personally dont regard this effect as significant does not mean it actually is insignificant for everybody else. Could yours be the 'me' perspective with no regard for others?

The truth is always in the middle - be worried when you think you can see it over to one side!

An example, pray..? They miss food serving times at a pub ten miles away? If their need to go so fast that they damage other people's moorings , boats or property (or give people rope burns - my hands are f*cked) is greater than the damage or danger they are causing, I'd really like to know what it is! Wife in labour, perhaps? Someone aboard having a heart attack? Phone a fecking ambulance, they're allowed to go fast.

A large section of bank collapsed into the river near Sonning a couple of years ago due to the arseholes speeding up and down that stretch.

But that's OK - maybe they were in a hurry to get to the pub.

Likewise the bank between Braunston and Long Buckby. They must have been hurrying to get to the tide lock.

I've said it before and will keep saying. If you are really that selfish that you inflict damage to my boat, the banks of the canal and any person aboard my boat then you are a selfish low life idiot, but good.

Especailly the low life twat who knocked the boat so hard from the speed they were going that I was almost toppled, having badly sprained my foot a few days before.

Those of you who think that is clever should stay off the water, there is no excuse for it.

And no, I do not need to get a life, i have one, a good one, that is being ruined by idiots who seem to be in a rush permanantly.

I've said it before and will keep saying. If you are really that selfish that you inflict damage to my boat, the banks of the canal and any person aboard my boat then you are a selfish low life idiot, but good.

Especailly the low life twat who knocked the boat so hard from the speed they were going that I was almost toppled, having badly sprained my foot a few days before.

Those of you who think that is clever should stay off the water, there is no excuse for it.

And no, I do not need to get a life, i have one, a good one, that is being ruined by idiots who seem to be in a rush permanantly.

I see it simply as reality that many people don't slow down past moored boats and if you can't deal with it you can choose not to live on the cut. I think its more likely bank collapse (which happened at my BW mooring and I saw the 50ft concrete edge roll into the cut it was quite alarming) is rather more to do with age of the structure than boats making a breaking wash. I mean on the cut, obviously the Thames is different because speedboats can make a VERY big wash.

When I first moved onto a narrow boat in 1994 I'm sure many more people used to slow down and I always have done because it is respectful and I know what effect going too fast has on a boat because when someone does it you know about it and I believe in do unto others as you'd have them do unto you etc. Things have changed, its not for the better but I can't really see it being turned around, the canals (in summer) are NOT a peaceful byway on which to dawdle and dream away days in the sunshine and gentle mists and flowers, they are a holiday resort and in a holiday resort you will find all sorts of people doing all sorts of things you wouldn't want people doing in your back garden. This is a fact.

I see it simply as reality that many people don't slow down past moored boats and if you can't deal with it you can choose not to live on the cut. I think its more likely bank collapse (which happened at my BW mooring and I saw the 50ft concrete edge roll into the cut it was quite alarming) is rather more to do with age of the structure than boats making a breaking wash. I mean on the cut, obviously the Thames is different because speedboats can make a VERY big wash.

When I first moved onto a narrow boat in 1994 I'm sure many more people used to slow down and I always have done because it is respectful and I know what effect going too fast has on a boat because when someone does it you know about it and I believe in do unto others as you'd have them do unto you etc. Things have changed, its not for the better but I can't really see it being turned around, the canals (in summer) are NOT a peaceful byway on which to dawdle and dream away days in the sunshine and gentle mists and flowers, they are a holiday resort and in a holiday resort you will find all sorts of people doing all sorts of things you wouldn't want people doing in your back garden. This is a fact.

I know, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. I do put up with it because there is little choice, but I just wish people would just slow a little. I'm not asking miracles here, but some people are going that fast even towards bridges and the amount of near misses I've seen is quite shocking.

I just despair of general lack of manners full stop. If it's not dog poo, i's speeding, bad language, throwing rubbish and treating the place like a tip. Disgusting!

Say at whatever volume is necessary for them to hear you over their engine revs.

Well, if you want to spend your life shouting at people, you carry on.

I don't think it makes any difference to people's behaviour, much more likely to reinforce it...

...and make you feel crap.

I know, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. I do put up with it because there is little choice, but I just wish people would just slow a little. I'm not asking miracles here, but some people are going that fast even towards bridges and the amount of near misses I've seen is quite shocking.

I just despair of general lack of manners full stop. If it's not dog poo, i's speeding, bad language, throwing rubbish and treating the place like a tip. Disgusting!

Or as we experienced near Ansty, a direct collision because of tw*ts speeding through a bridge on a bend with BW moorings next to it! They hit us hard AND the moored boats.

I agree with you Stoney, it's a lack of manners at least, at most a danger to people and craft.

Well, if you want to spend your life shouting at people, you carry on.

I don't think it makes any difference to people's behaviour, much more likely to reinforce it...

...and make you feel crap.

Do I want to spend my life shouting at people? Of course I don't.

And, for the record, I only actually say anything to those who are travelling well above a reasonable speed, so most of the borderline cases don't have anything said to them.

As to what it does to people's behaviour. Clearly what I say will have no effect. If some people find that they are regularly told that they are going too fast, surely the message will start to sink in!

And makes me feel crap... Nope. Having my stuff broken, and my family injured makes me feel crap.

Why does this argument always end up going to extremes, between those who want to travel at a grossly excessive speed, and those who want everyone to pass their moored boat at a virtual standstill.

The speed at which you can pass a properly moored boat without disturbing it significantly, varies from less than tickover on some canals, to the full permitted cruising speed on others.

On most canals there is a speed somewhere between these extremes, which allows a moving boat to make reasonable progress but which doesn't disturb moored boats and shouldn't disturb their occupants. On much of the Grand Union for example, passing at a speed of 3mph will not even be noticed by the occupants of a boat unless they are already leaning out of their doors waiting for someone to shout at, but on other parts of the same canal (and on ALL the Ashby) even 2mph is verging on being too fast.

If people put their brains in gear before either their boat or their mouth, they could tailor their behaviour to minimise its impact on others - if only they could be bothered to do so.

Why does this argument always end up going to extremes, between those who want to travel at a grossly excessive speed, and those who want everyone to pass their moored boat at a virtual standstill.

The speed at which you can pass a properly moored boat without disturbing it significantly, varies from less than tickover on some canals, to the full permitted cruising speed on others.

On most canals there is a speed somewhere between these extremes, which allows a moving boat to make reasonable progress but which doesn't disturb moored boats and shouldn't disturb their occupants. On much of the Grand Union for example, passing at a speed of 3mph will not even be noticed by the occupants of a boat unless they are already leaning out of their doors waiting for someone to shout at, but on other parts of the same canal (and on ALL the Ashby) even 2mph is verging on being too fast.

If people put their brains in gear before either their boat or their mouth, they could tailor their behaviour to minimise its impact on others - if only they could be bothered to do so.

no that would be too polite and sensible. it won't happen. I'm not a pessimist.

I think it’s a question of degree, I always slow down when passing boats (I have forgot once or twice, but as a general rule I’ll slow down to at least 2mph) sometimes much, much slower, only tick over if the situation demands it, like a busy water point, or a busy marina entrance or just a busy area etc. Even though, I have to say, I’m not particularly bothered by boats passing at 4mph.

But many times the “slow down” shouters still shout at me for going too fast, when I know I’m only going at 2mph (GPS Unit), this is probably because their perception of an oncoming crafts speed is different from the actual speed. I completely ignore angry shouters, only on the very odd occasion when I forget, of I am surprised by a boat behind a bridge or around a tight bend etc. Do I acknowledge anyone for moaning.

don't have a tight schedule then....

Exactly a tight schedule meaning a tight wallet from some person attempting a fortnights cruising in half the time.

Dont forget "The canals are the fastest way of slowing down"

If anybody wants speed i suggest the power boats curtesy of Miami Vice :lol: please contact Don Johnson & partner.

Its similar to trying to use the M25 to get somewhere rather than crawl along on the worlds largest circular car park :lol:

"Only one side considers the effect they are having on other people (or cares about it)"

And have you ever considered the effect you have in demanding people slow to a crawl when they pass you? Just because you personally dont regard this effect as significant does not mean it actually is insignificant for everybody else. Could yours be the 'me' perspective with no regard for others?

The truth is always in the middle - be worried when you think you can see it over to one side!

in the middle... always? Hmmm......

It was Allan who reminded me that deep water = faster with less wash. Shallow water = you sneeze and the wash flies over the bank and a tornado strikes in morocco. Well, not quite like that.

I think WJM has a boat without an engine and actually never goes anywhere and is loving this thread and the irony of it!!!!!

Going too fast for the conditions creates wash and damages the bank and the nesting birds.

On the whole there are both arogant and ignorant boaters. Those that care will treat the system and their neighbours properly. Those that don't won't. It makes no difference whether they are on the cut, ramming you in the ice cream section of tescos or driving their cars. The point is going too fast for the conditions you are experiencing is not something that should be advocated. I was taught to go slowly past moored craft and I love it. You get to peer through peoples windows!

Looks like I was right - the canal belongs to old retired people who like to do things slowly taking all the time in the world. They are probably seeking refuge from the roads because this kind of behavior is not tolerated there. Try driving a car at the same pace on a main road and you will soon be nicked, and before the constabulary pull you over you will have been blasted out of it by more mainstream drivers!

You really are suggesting, at best, an hollow and specious argument . . the comparison with cars is neither relevant or helpful.

However, you have still not managed to disguise the fact that 'your side of the argument / discussion' does not detract from the simple fact that your sole wish is to satisfy your own self interest, and, moreover, at the expense of all others . . .

Society generally arrives at rules for the benefit of the majority - not the selfish minority - - - - of which, it would appear, your are a leading exponent.

*sigh* Page eight? Really?

Look here's how we'll settle this. I have here the blueprints for a mine that responds to wake disturbance. First £10 000 gets liscencing rights for the UK canal system.

no, it actually is quite a severe problem on the uk canal system. seriously. we have really really narrow ditches here.

*sigh* Page eight? Really?

Look here's how we'll settle this. I have here the blueprints for a mine that responds to wake disturbance. First £10 000 gets liscencing rights for the UK canal system.

And still you come back trying to tell us what we should be talking about.

If you don't want to read, then don't read. Simple really!

we have really really narrow ditches here.

Nothing a bit of bank errosion couldn't solve.

I know its a serious problem I just can't believe we're having such a serious 'discussion' about it. This could go on for fifty pages and still accomplish nothing more than the fact that some people inexplicably disagree with the idea of respectufully slowing down when appropriate and some people will inexplicably yell anyway.

I think it's a question of degree, I always slow down when passing boats (I have forgot once or twice, but as a general rule I'll slow down to at least 2mph) sometimes much, much slower, only tick over if the situation demands it, like a busy water point, or a busy marina entrance or just a busy area etc. Even though, I have to say, I'm not particularly bothered by boats passing at 4mph.

But many times the "slow down" shouters still shout at me for going too fast, when I know I'm only going at 2mph (GPS Unit), this is probably because their perception of an oncoming crafts speed is different from the actual speed. I completely ignore angry shouters, only on the very odd occasion when I forget, of I am surprised by a boat behind a bridge or around a tight bend etc. Do I acknowledge anyone for moaning.

Being fixated by a numeric measurement of speed is not helpful.

2mph may be fine, or it may be too fast.

If you only just slowed to 2mph, it takes some time for the effect of your former speed to vanish.

On many of the narrow canals of the North and Midlands, even travelling at tickover can be borderline.

Most boats will, at tickover, do about 1.5 mph, and retain steerage. The difference to transit time is negligible, but the difference to effect can be marked.

As such, on narrow canals, any mucking about with "2mph" or "just above tickover" isn't helping anybody.

And still you come back trying to tell us what we should be talking about.

If you don't want to read, then don't read. Simple really!

But then I'd miss you too much. Just trying to inject some middle ground here and besides its fun watching you get worked up about something that you admit isn't likely to stop.

Being fixated by a numeric measurement of speed is not helpful.

2mph may be fine, or it may be too fast.

If you only just slowed to 2mph, it takes some time for the effect of your former speed to vanish.

On many of the narrow canals of the North and Midlands, even travelling at tickover can be borderline.

Most boats will, at tickover, do about 1.5 mph, and retain steerage. The difference to transit time is negligible, but the difference to effect can be marked.

As such, on narrow canals, any mucking about with "2mph" or "just above tickover" isn't helping anybody.

I believe the term steerageway is what's used here. I think that one is the most helpful for telling boaters what speed to go, however if steerageway for a particular boat still throws a wake people need to learn to live with it. It will not always be safe to go 'no-wake' speeds.

Edited by Jason Wilson and Family