Grossly Excessive speed

mayalld

Featured Posts

Ah, but I am so extremely thick skinned that it doesn't bother me :-)

Those who resort to such tactics don't hurt me, they just make themselves look bad.

It also reinforces magnetman's argument that people who speed are rude.

To add some balance to this debate.....

We have been out just a week now, but have travelled from Tring Summit on the GU, right up through Brum, and are now working our way down the much narrower Staffs and Worcs. (Currently on visitor moorings at Kinver). I've lost track of the miles and locks, but it's plenty of both, believe.

We have not seen one case of excessive speed past moorings, and have neither been complained at, not felt need to complain.

It seems this rudeness must be much more prevelent on some canals than others.

Also nobody getting impatient with us, nobody pinching our locks.

In fact no conflict at all, I can think of so far.

Even the majority of the fishermen seem friendly, so we must be doing something wrong!

How about a piece of green, green, grass next to our lovely canal system, where CWF members can meet physcically and engage in debates, and of course challenge each other to a duel, with swords, guns or just plain fistcuffs.

After all thats what people used to do when the canals were first built!

AH, a traditionalist!!

I rather suspect that there would be much interesting debate, and little need for duels.

AH, a traditionalist!!

I rather suspect that there would be much interesting debate, and little need for duels.

Traditionalist???

Isnt debating also traditional? The Greeks were fond of it and thats how philosophy, science, began and of course the rest that followed.

Popper stressed the need for a society engaged in healthy debate because in his view that was the only way to make sensible progress.

I'd rather have healthy and sensible debate rather than this forum becoming a panopticon.

I do support your desire to apprehend those repsonsible for speeding past your boat, but please dont let it get the better of you. Those people who sped past are probably not interested in they whys and wherefores of what they have done.

I think all hir boats should have engine governors fitted....keep the bastards at 2 mph

I think a large portion of this forum's membership will be offended at your insult.

This is a forum for canal and boat enthusiasts, not just boat owners.

Plonking your boat on a stretch of WATERWAY that others are trying to use for traveling is unfair. If large washes bother you try mooring in a marina or near a lock!

I suppose that if you follow that unpleasant logic, then the would also apply to all motor vehicles . . . so - then - no on-road parking either eh . . .

I was under the impression that canals have allowed mooring (where the cut is wide enough of course) since their inception . . . or should the rules now be altered for you WJM?

Besides, doesn't a strong wash damage the canal banks & wildlife - - or are they in your way too??

Edited by Grace & Favour

I think a large portion of this forum's membership will be offended at your insult.

This is a forum for canal and boat enthusiasts, not just boat owners.

Then how come (without exception), Its boat owners grousing at hire boats eh?

I don't think it is (without exception). Maybe I just read the posts more carefully:

I began to notice that the majority of speeders were not hire boats, but in fact privately owned.

Eh?

Edited by carlt

I think all hir boats should have engine governors fitted....keep the bastards at 2 mph

That's not very friendly Squire!

I would think that many of the current boat owners on this forum have piloted Hire boats at some time . . does this make them bastards too, or maybe 'ex-bastards'?

Which opens the discussion, when does a bastard become an ex-bastard - is there a qualifying time limit - - - or is it a unilateral decision on your part.

I'll be on the cut in September, in an hire boat . . .

I do hope I don't meet you

It isn't.

I will take issue with anybody who behaves like an idiot on the cut, and this is owners more often than hirers.

It isn't.

I will take issue with anybody who behaves like an idiot on the cut, and this is owners more often than hirers.

OOoh aren't we playing nicely.

statistically or in frequency?

Edited by Bones

I suppose that if you follow that unpleasant logic, then the would also apply to all motor vehicles . . . so - then - no on-road parking either eh . . .

I was under the impression that canals have allowed mooring (where the cut is wide enough of course) since their inception . . . or should the rules now be altered for you WJM?

Besides, doesn't a strong wash damage the canal banks & wildlife - - or are they in your way too??

I currently have a long term mooring at Norbury which I arrived at a week ago after spending a couple of weeks at Oxley marine (Autherley Junction). I have noticed that boats here pass moorings a lot quicker than at Oxley and you do get bashed about a bit -one hire boat actually hit my boat yesterday which takes some doing on a long straight!

IMHO boats should definitely slow down as they pass moored boats. But. There do seem to be a lot of moored boats nowadays and loads of them moored outside of "official" moorings which can make travelling the system frustrating and very stop/start as you accomodate moored boats.

We need to invent speed bumps for canals (actually some form of chicane at each end of moorings would do the trick)

You might be just an honorary bastard.

If that's the case - than 'tis an accolade indeed Sir . . . and I shall proudly wear my badge with pride . . . . .

(Hmm - I wonder if the HB company will mind if I rename their boat for the week . . . . .

NB Honorary Bastard . . . . it has a certain je ne sais quoi . . . )

Still don't want to meet OP though!

Edited by Grace & Favour

How about a piece of green, green, grass next to our lovely canal system, where CWF members can meet physcically and engage in debates, and of course challenge each other to a duel, with swords, guns or just plain fistcuffs.

After all thats what people used to do when the canals were first built!

Apparently that stuff makes you drive slower, could cause enhanced sensitivity to the rocking, but would it still be there by the time anyone got to it?

If that's the case - than 'tis an accolade indeed Sir . . . and I shall proudly wear my badge with pride . . . . .

(Hmm - I wonder if the HB company will mind if I rename their boat for the week . . . . .

NB Honorary Bastard . . . . it has a certain je ne sais quoi . . . )

Still don't want to meet OP though!

Why?

Unless you intend to behave in an inconsiderate manner, you will find me extremely convivial.

Why?

Unless you intend to behave in an inconsiderate manner, you will find me extremely convivial.

I think he meant Larkhill, dave, by suggesting hireboaters were bastards but I think larkhills post was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek, or at least I like to think so

I expect these things will never stop happening, all I can suggest is that they cut down a bit and do it at night when it's quieter and their less likely to miss, or just stop useing the needle when on boats, if they must do it at all.

I think all hire boats should have engine governors fitted....keep the bastards at 2 mph

You might jest but back in the 80s a fair few hire boats had throttle stops fitted to do just that (well on fens and broads anyway)

I remember looking at the tides through Yarmouth.........looking at stop........and it somehow got "adjusted" accidentally.

I did reset it before handing boat back :lol:

(Edited to say.....yes! at last....been trying to post that for AGES)

Thought I was banned or something :lol:

Edited by tidal

I have never had a hire boat that didnt require a little adjustment in the throttle cable department!

Did the old working boats slow down for moored boats? 20 tons of coal would have made quite a wash (worse than 20 tons of feathers apparently) but I doubt the commercial constraints would have allowed for such niceties.