Nicholson or Pearson?

hmallett

Featured Posts

In the past I've only bought two canal guides - a Waterways World one (for the Llangollen and Montgomery), and a Pearson one (for the Stourport Ring).

In a few weeks time I'm supposed to be going on the Kennet and Avon canal. The only two guides I can find for this are a Pearson one (updated 2002) and a Nicholson one (updated 2006). I'm veering towards the Nicholson one as it should be more up-to-date.

Does anyone else have any other recommendations or suggestions?

I always prefer the Nicholsons, but that is purely a personal view.. I must say though they do seem to have got into a muddle with their maps in the later issues, I never find the 'up-to-date-ness' an issue there are rarely any significant changes to the system from one decade to the next.

The 'mechanical' quality too is always superior to their rivals, they seem to survive rain-storms and even an occasional dunking.

Edited by John Orentas

Personally I prefer Nicholsons but I don't expect them to be up to date (and not just because most of mine are pretty old anyway). They tend to be renowned for being out of date, but you can always look at the updates that have been collected on Greg Chapman's site

I believe that there are new editions of Nicholsons guides cue out next year.

Greg Chapmans site has not been updated in years.

Tim

The Nicholson guides seem to be somewhat more than £6. However I've found the Pearson guide for £4. So I ended up ordering both anyway...

They're only going to get used once y'know! :lol:

Tell us what you are doing and where.

In a nutshell, picking a boat up from Bradford upon Avon, and returning it back there about 5 or 6 days later (we have some flexibility).

Basically I thought head towards Reading for 3 days (which should easily get us up Caen Hill), then turn round and go back!

In the past I've only bought two canal guides - a Waterways World one (for the Llangollen and Montgomery), and a Pearson one (for the Stourport Ring).

In a few weeks time I'm supposed to be going on the Kennet and Avon canal. The only two guides I can find for this are a Pearson one (updated 2002) and a Nicholson one (updated 2006). I'm veering towards the Nicholson one as it should be more up-to-date.

Pearsons by a mile - far more informative! :lol:

Tend to use both. We use a good quality map case - Ortleib or similar - with the relevant pages from both open. They each tell a story. We like Pearsons occasional tongue in cheek narrative.They also put good railway information in the guides - the latest ones identify stations and when they closed etc - this suits those of us who wear double sided anoraks!! For maps we use a good quality road atlas and for some areas buy the OS maps eg Birmingham

I use a combination of the Nicholsons and the GEO-Projects maps; especially as the latter tend to be a bit more exact about where the shops and pubs are.

Yes the GEO maps are certainly excellent/ We've got a copmplete set to supplement our ancient Nicholsons

I like the Geo maps but my circumstances are different to most. I am usually trying to find a boat from a road often with instructions that they are at bridge number 33 or "by the tennis courts" and I find it much easier to do so from a Geo map than any other.

Following the general consensus, we prefer Nicholson's because the maps, based on the detailed Ordnance Survey series, are so much better and, therefore, more helpful but the general narrative in the Pearson's guides provides better historical and heritage information.

The costs have been mentioned.

It has never occurred to me in the past, when buying at WHS or in a chandlery that much better deals are possible.

The two bought for the current cruise, (we still haven't decided where we are heading!) were courtesy of Amazon.

Obviously you need to be making a big enough purchase to get the free carriage, but these cost less than two thirds of the "list price.

I may be buying another one soon - tipped coffee over volume 1 today, and it's not as "dunkable" as John's are, it seems.

Personally I can't abide Pearsons, but these things are very personal, as has been said.

Alan

(Radford Bottom Lock, GU Birmingham line).

Following the general consensus, we prefer Nicholson's because the maps, based on the detailed Ordnance Survey series, are so much better and, therefore, more helpful but the general narrative in the Pearson's guides provides better historical and heritage information.

I agree with that. I use both, Nicks for maps and Pearsons for the read.

Check out the description of the Calder & Hebble at Sowerby Bridge. It still makes me laugh after 12 years :lol: