Dogs on Boats

RichardM

Featured Posts

I am starting on the path that may lead me to living on a boat so I'm at the most basic research phase. Before I start asking more obvious questions I have a more general question about dogs. I have one - a lurcher and not a whippety one so not huge but not small and greyhound leggy. She is however the fastest couch potato known...

I was wondering how she would take to a life on water and are there any gotchas , problems , issues that will cause me problems or conversely enhance life aboard.

Thanks !

Richard

[img=http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/rjm_cmyk/Willow%20Watford/_mg_3813.jpg]

I am starting on the path that may lead me to living on a boat so I'm at the most basic research phase. Before I start asking more obvious questions I have a more general question about dogs. I have one - a lurcher and not a whippety one so not huge but not small and greyhound leggy. She is however the fastest couch potato known...

I was wondering how she would take to a life on water and are there any gotchas , problems , issues that will cause me problems or conversely enhance life aboard.

Thanks !

Richard

[img=http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/rjm_cmyk/Willow%20Watford/_mg_3813.jpg]

What a delightful looking animal!

I can't honestly answer your question . . . as we aren't owned by any dogs . . . . but the first suggestion I would make is that you need an animal that does not leap into the water in pursuit of the first piece of wild-fowl she sees . . . . .

Such encounters can be noisy, disruptive, and will be sure to raise the ire of others . . (and, to be fair - upset a few ducks too!)

My lurcher, Tommy, lived aboard for 10 years, 8 of them as a tripod. He loved it and misses it more than me, I think.

x98XoTOzSgc9s3OXD1WMAqrJAhJVwFtS0300.jpg

They are not great water lovers so make ideal boaty dogs (wet dog isn't my favorite aroma).

One sprint lap round the field and back to the chair by the burner....lurcher heaven!

Edited by carlt

We have 2 lurchers that have been introduced to boating and both love it, niether shows the slightest inclination to jump in although the younger one has a habit of stepping off onto the towpath if you stray to near the edge in bridgeholes.

Most lurchers prefer dreaming of the chase whilst by a warm stove, not running about cold wet fields

dogswaiting2.jpg

Thanks !

Richard

Just one dog? Have a look at http://dogsontour.blogspot.com/ (5 dogs) or http://indigodream.wordpress.com (we only have 2 greyhounds)

We learnt some lessons from our first (share) boat when we had a lurcher. She was a rescue with one knackered hip so as she got older her mobility got a bit restricted. The ships ladder type arrangement at the rear was very hard for her so when we got our own boat we had relatively shallow steps put in. Dogs do like to have a look at what is going on so a bigger stern is good but perhaps not if you are going to live aboard. Either way worth thinking of how you will keep your dog on board - as stumpylurcher points out bridge holes are all too tempting! Worth avoiding carpets.

Another Richard

Don't underestimate the amount of mud/dirt they will bring in. Ours have always come into the boat to shake when wet so a spotty decoration theme is to be preferred. We already have had the dog walking towpath debate but ours gets off at one bridge hole and walks to the next bridge very happily.

We also went down the cruiser stern route as our previous Alsatian leapt for the back deck and needed the landing room.

Sue

Don't underestimate the amount of mud/dirt they will bring in.

Or the amount of crap they will deposit for you to pick up! :lol:

I met a couple with 5 dogs on a 50 ft narrowboat the other day. They looked like a pack of meercats on the cruiser stern. It must have stunk inside that boat though! That's one thing that many dog owners on boats don't realise - dog smells in that small space take over and the occupants get used to it.

My neighbours at Brentford have a small short-haired lurcher. I wouldn't say it's a boaty dog - it seems to be very hesitant getting on or off the boat, but perhaps it's just that one.

Hi Richard M

Welcome to the forum.

We have a 14 y.o. mongrel about the size of a Large Jack Russell. Took him for a holiday on a narrowboat recently.

Thought that owing to his age there would not be a problem of him getting out onto the rear deck, step height etc.

Within two days he had worked out how to do it and then spent the rest of the time on the back deck (traditional stern) whenever we were travelling.

He loved the freedom whenever we moored.

If he can adjust then I am sure yours will as well and enjoy.

Hi Richard

We have been living on our boat for a month now, our 14 year old Terrier Type thing Giggsy, and Rio the 5 year old terrier type thing,

they had never been on a boat before but they have taken on the role of real boat dogs, ( you know the type you see, stood on the back deck as

close to the edge as they can) well they have taken to it really well. Giggsy the old boy has fallen in twice, first time he could see the ducks feet that appeared

to be walking to him, and not swimming so he must have thought he would have some of that and in he went, luckily we were there with him and scooped him out,

the second time whilst we were moored he put his front paws on the bank and his back ones were still on the boat, it doesn't take much weight to move a big boat and he collapsed in the middle again we were there to rescue him, non the worse for it. we always put them inside whilst going through locks so that they are safe.

as we have no carpets on the boat there is no smell, we have special foldaway kennels that they sleep in on the boat, and are out all day for them to go in and out as they please when we are moored up. we always clean up the dog poo after them , What responsible dog owner wouldn't ? I would welcome anyone on our boat in the knowledge that it does not stink of dogs, only today and yesterday and the day before,as they have just been for a walk in the pooring rain and they stink of wet dog, which as soon as they dry and they are aired again that will be gone and wont cling in the boat as I said before we have no carpets or curtains, we have Blinds, so no soft furnishings for the stink to cling to, so have your dogs on board they'll love it

as much as you will. and soon it will stop raining and then it will be even better :lol: I would put up the pictures of the boys but cant manage on here :lol::lol: but you can check them out at

www.digitalis.org.uk we have other forum readers its wonderful

I also have a dog, as we spend our time mostly outdoors and she does have a shower now and then and regular grooming she doesnt smell either. Its indoor dogs that get little exercise that smell and feel greasy.

We have a bearded collie, Molly, with us on our boat, although she thinks she is a hairy crocodile the amount of time she spends in the water. As long as she drips dry outside I don't mind but there are times she gets straight into the boat after a swim, she carries about a gallon when wet and is more capable than BW at clearing towpath debris away and into our boat. Top Dog though

Paul

Dogs are great - maybe we should have a pinned thread of 'Boaty Dogs pictures'? Some lovely pictures so far, so I have added ours - Bella. She is 9 with a mental age of a puppy when there is water around. Not offically a boat dog yet, but will be by the end of the summer so hopefully she qualifies. We are having a utility space at the stern end so we aim to be able to dry her off there before she spreads muck all over the boat! (wishfull thinking?)

100_0209-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My dog Brandy is going to be living on my boat with me - he doesn't smell, but he's not that narrow!

I wanted to show you a picture of him, but I can't work out how to attach one!

My dog Brandy is going to be living on my boat with me - he doesn't smell, but he's not that narrow!

I wanted to show you a picture of him, but I can't work out how to attach one!

Hi Mandy

Have a look here http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/malcsworld/ph...stpictures.html this was posted by a member some time ago.

There are other 'hosting sites'

It may look complicated but basically you 'post' your pictures into an 'album' on the host site, copy the 'link' it gives you and post that 'link' onto the forum.

My parents' dog loves his boat as long as gets to play ball now and then.

boatdog1.jpg

I'd have a dog on my boat as i've got a dog friendly employer but think the early morning commuters might not be so dog friendly after an hour sat next to a collie on the train!

Rick

edited trying to get photo to work!

Edited by Mac49

Hi Mandy

Have a look here http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/malcsworld/ph...stpictures.html this was posted by a member some time ago.

There are other 'hosting sites'

It may look complicated but basically you 'post' your pictures into an 'album' on the host site, copy the 'link' it gives you and post that 'link' onto the forum.

Dear Keith,

Thanks very much for that - let's see if I've managed it...

hmm, I've got onto photo bucket and I've managed to upload the photo there, but I can't work out how to get it here! I typed out the URL number in the picture box but it didn't work. This is what it said: "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board. A valid format is: http://www.domain.com/picture.gif, an invalid format is: http://www.domain.com/picture.one.gif" - uh?

sleepyBrandy.jpg

Yes! got it second time - thanks Keith

Edited by Mandy

Some lurchers do love water, however. Here is my Gabriel just hating the water. He hated it so much it took us 10 minutes of coaxing to get him out. He only came out when a boat approached and he didn't like the vibrations in the water. Works every time does the old approaching boat trick.

Its true that dogs do pong a bit. By the time we are livaboards, we will have probably lost 2 dogs to old age and be down to a sensible number. My terriers have all been on boats and love it with a passion. We have to keep them on short leads on the towpath as they try to veer towards sterns with a view to hopping aboard. So far its owners several, terriers nil, in that department which is the way we are going to keep it.

Photo0013.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondered if anyone has had a boatcheck before getting a rescue dog? Is there anything different I should look out for with being on a boat? Is there any advice you could offer?

I feel like i've thought of everything just wanted to double check.

I lived in a caravan while dog minding including over night and holiday stays where the dogs would live with me so i'm thinking it will be similar to that apart from the water outside the front door instead of a field!

Got a leonberger, me, but the Leo breed are very adaptable even for their size, and she does love the water (Leo's paws are webbed) however I'm already working on watertraining with her so she doesn't just automatically leap into the first body of water she sees. Recalls are IMPORTANT.

The best bit about the wee girl (who won't be a wee girl for long) is Leos are one of the few breeds I know that doesn't pong when she gets wet. All a good thing.

3420633.jpg

Edited by Moonbeam