Do you slow down?

GSer

Featured Posts

Sitting on the 'party deck' of my boat yesterday afternoon, having a little fish, when along comes another narrow boat at full cruising speed, not even a little lift of the throttle just came past within 4' of my boat, with my rope pinging and the hull grinding up the gravel shelf.

The skipper of the passing boat just said 'Oh! I'm sorry I didn't realise you were fishing' I mentioned that i was alot more worried about his speed and his proximity to my boat, his reply was "if I was going any slower then i'd be going backwards, thats the trouble with this canal (the K&A) everybodys so rude"

I wonder why he got that impression :lol:

So do you slow down??

I'm always just in gear when passing boats and other water users, there are exceptions on the K&A with the rivers flow and certain by-weirs requiring a more positive throttle.

I always slow down if the weather conditions are good enough to do so. And I never pass at full cruising speed regardless.

I tend to keep it just above tickover and maybe even a touch more if the winds are really strong, otherwise its tickover passed the moored boats, unless I have a really wide area, and then you can pass a little faster, but I only just touch it up.

We had plenty boats pass us at full whack within inches, despite only just exiting a bridge, and they seem oblivious to the fact that they might be going too fast.

The only exceptions to that are if the wind is that bad you would lose control by going slower. I thought that was common sense?

Definately slow down!

I`m also on the K&A and have problems with being wedged against the bank by speeding boaters! We also passed several at the weekend who lost mooring pins, I dare say, for the same reason!

Its a canal..not a race track!

Yes I do slow down for moored boats and fisherpeople.

I have noticed that I am now becoming part of a minority, when I first started boating I used to think it was mainly hire boats that did not slow down, I now realise that I had that impression because I was on the more popular canals such as the Llangollen and Shropshire and most of the boats were hire boats. I now feel that the hire boats are the ones that tend to slow down and it is the owned boats that tend to go past fast.

I must say I personaly don't have a problem if boats don't go past at tick over,I do get a bit upset with the ones that speed past if you can understand the difference. I realise as a constant cruiser I have the luxury of being able to go slowly past boats and I understand that if someone is just on a weeks or two weeks holiday and are trying to do a circuit speed can be important.

I must say I don't think shouting at people to slow down achieves anything boaters tend to fall into 2 groups those that slow down and those that don't and shouting is not going to change that. I guess as more and more boats use the system more boats are going to be moored and therefore for those on a tight time schedule are going to find it more difficult to complete there chosen circuit if they slow right down when passing moored boats. I know that during the winter months I can travel a far further than I can during the summer, mind you I rarely cruise for more than 3-4 hours on the days that I cruise.

I see a lot of people slow down as they approach locks and things, but in general the speed on the water seems pretty regular. Although maybe its something to do with individual boats? Like if there is nobody aboard you could go faster?

:lol:

I do slow down to tick-over or near as possible (if it is more windy).

The mantra I always think about is "If you are in a hurry you are on the wrong kind of transport"

Slowing down does help stop moored boats getting buffeted about and I think it is just common courtesy in any case. I slow down for all boats not just the ones I think someone is in, cost more or don't look scruffy. Sometimes you pass old and damaged boats (think of Usk and Lucy on the GU near Braunston) I think it is possibly even more important to slow down pass these so as not to make the situation worse.

Edited by churchward

You should try beiong loaded when it makes little difference to yoiur speed but the water you are displacing.

I have on many occassions passed boats (and fisherwallies) on tick over and been complained to BUT they thank the butty steerer for slowing down!

I must say I don't think shouting at people to slow down achieves anything boaters tend to fall into 2 groups those that slow down and those that don't and shouting is not going to change that.

Ah! I am of the other opinion, if nobody says anything then the 'offenders' will always think they are right, a well aimed "Slow Down" might just save somebodies crockery further down the cut. I'll not bother getting all angry with them but a polite request is often all speeding boaters need to show some respect other users

Paul

We did notice a tendency down in London and on the River Lee for boats to slow down far less than I would normally do on our own patch.

I noticed when moored at Little Venice boats coming past not slowing down noticeably in any way, but also realised that we were hardly affected on our moorings in any way at all.

I must admit that on that trip where it was wide and deep I started slowing down far less. I watched moored boats and lines as we passed, and they barely moved. Certainly nobody complained, and we still got many friendly greetings.

I still sincerely believe it depends where you are. Some places you can be in tick-over, and still have a considerable effect on a moored boat. Other places you can probably go flat out, and they wouldn't know you were there. The trick is to judge it right in all cases.

I do believe that people who tie on (very) slack lines, to the top of stakes barely into the ground, and tilted towards the cut, have little right to complain if their inadequate mooring arrangements don't work. If you are worried about your boat moving, first priority should be to learn to tie it up properly, second priority should be policing the rate at which other people are going past. I've very rarely heard any adverse comment from owners of a properly moored boat.

On the Grand Union at Weedon on Saturday we moored with very well hit in pins while walking to the shops. Returning after 30 minutes our boat was minus 1 pin completely, the other lying on the bank and the centre rope tied to a tree! Some time later we shared locks with a boat that in conversation said about having to tie a boat to a tree earlier! Judging by the way the throttle was being used I have no doubt why our boat was pulled free! At least they stopped and recovered our boat though.

Like if there is nobody aboard you could go faster?

:lol:

How do you know nobody is aboard?

I always slow down to tickover, past moored boats.

I'm aware that, mooring in the middle of nowhere, people don't necessarily expect to show the same courtesy.

As long as no damage is caused, I don't usually bother asking them to slow down.

Edited by carlt

I do believe that people who tie on (very) slack lines, to the top of stakes barely into the ground, and tilted towards the cut, have little right to complain if their inadequate mooring arrangements don't work. If you are worried about your boat moving, first priority should be to learn to tie it up properly, second priority should be policing the rate at which other people are going past. I've very rarely heard any adverse comment from owners of a properly moored boat.

Perhaps its a canal specific thing, the K&A where i am, at the Eastern end, is very shallow on the shelves, and nearly all moorings off the visitor moorings are at the very least a long plank job. Most times you can moor up and all goes well, however sometimes, no matter how you moor up, it all feels very vulnerable when a boat passes without care.

Paul

Perhaps its a canal specific thing, the K&A where i am, at the Eastern end, is very shallow on the shelves, and nearly all moorings off the visitor moorings are at the very least a long plank job. Most times you can moor up and all goes well, however sometimes, no matter how you moor up, it all feels very vulnerable when a boat passes without care.

Paul

they built those banks like that when they restored the canal because of the wildlife I understand, like the water voles. with piling above the water line they can't get out very easily. I was told when I went down there 'you're not supposed to moor there'.

Paul

In fairness, I've yet to cruise the K&A, so am not qualified to talk about speeds when cruising it.

I accept you need to constantly modify the way you operate to be appropriate to the conditions on the canal you are on.

one problem with the whole slowing down bit is that it gives ammunition to those who would prefer to see empty canals. They can, quite reasonably, complain to BW that there are too many boats moored on the canal which makes their journey tedious. its not a case of 'you should be more calm and drift along in a daze surrounded by wildlife and sunshine' its a case of 'what if i don't want to do that but would like to make effective progress in my boat?'. BW will act on complaints, it seems to be their main driver.

they built those banks like that when they restored the canal because of the wildlife I understand, like the water voles. with piling above the water line they can't get out very easily. I was told when I went down there 'you're not supposed to moor there'.

I've heard similar tales, and I must admit its nice to have all the wildlife in and around the canal (and thats just the boaters :lol: ) I quite like the 'long plank life', it keeps the boat numbers at our end to a minimum, alot of folks prefering the easy life below the Devises Flight.

People do look at us strange sometimes when we visit other canals and we moor up in places others wouldn't even consider deep enough to wash a dog :lol:

Paul

It is surely a case of being in sympathy with your surroundings, 'knowing your canal' and 'knowing your boat'. Some canals are so shallow that sometimes even tickover is enough to produce a breaking wake and so do untold damage to the banks and make life for moored boats very difficult indeed. On the other hand some stretches of waterway are so deep that 'being on the plane' would make very little impression. The weight of your boat and it's underwater profile also makes a difference. In short be aware of everything around you and adjust your speed accordingly , you can still make progress without draking out every mooring pin and smashing all the crockery along the way

Edited by Idunhoe

Errm, yes and no. Canals were orignally built trapezoidal in section and, unless there was a stone or other type of wall, they were shallow at the edges. Easier to build and the working boatmen only moored in certain places where it was provided for. Modern shallow draught boats can often get in almost anywhere (as could an unladen horse drawn boat) but dredging beyond the original trapezoidal section would be ill advised to say the least. That said, in some places the canal doesn't get dredged or has berms introduced for the benefit of wildlife, but this is more common on the off-side. Steel piling is now only used as a last resort as it's expensive and has all sorts of problems for wildlife: it's not just voles that can't climb it, but rabbits, family pets etc.

edited coz I can't type!

Edited by magpie patrick

I don't object to slowing for moored boats, and generally pass at tickover or just over.

However, last week I noticed at least two boats with signs in the window, saying "What part of Slow Down don't you understand". I found this unnecessarily aggressive, and it made me itch to speed up. If you must have a sign, what's wrong with "Moored boat, please slow down" or something similar?

If you want others to be courteous to you, surely you should start by being courteous yourself?

So do you slow down??

I always understood that you should slow down from 4 to 3 past moored boats, but some moorings stipulate 2 or 'very slow'.

It was not a problem with a cruiser as the main annoyance was wash, with narrow boats, the problem becomes movement!

The more busy the canals become the more likelyhood there is of not getting up to full speed (4) along any stretch!

It also depends on the boat I suppose too (I have to take it out of gear to go slower than 2.5).

The real issue is not speed but water, the less water in the canal the more it moves, so the annoyance will depend upon width and depth at the point where you are moored.

In otherwords, slow down more when its shallow or narrow.

Edited by RobinJ

If our fellow moorers don't slow down for our boat which is stuck out 2ft from the bank as it's on the bottom then I can't expect anybody else too.

I always ask nicely... and I either get ignored or told that there is no wash. I always say that it is shallow on the offside for us but they either swear at me, or just ignore me anyway.

I might aswell not bother :lol:

I generally slow to a fast tickover when approaching anglers, get my line right and then cut the prop a boat length or two before the swim they may have baited, building revs again gradually when I'm a boat length or two past them.

We always slow to a fast tickover past moored boats which are obviously unoccupied or a slow tickover past moored boats which are obviously or possibly occupied.

However, if I can't see a licence, I can't see the boat, or therefore any need to slow down :lol:

However, if I can't see a licence, I can't see the boat, or therefore any need to slow down :lol:

I went out to chat to a boater going past, at full throttle, once, who said "I never slow down past unlicenced boats!"

As I pointed at my licence, in the window, asking how she could see whether a boat was licenced, or not, at the point where she should have been slowing, she replied that my boat "Didn't look like it would have a licence".

Obviously there is some standard, of appearance, that needs to be reached, before licences should be allocated.

My reply was "You're on a Springer!"

Edited by carlt

I don't understand people's problem with slowing down should weather conditions allow it. Fair enough on a big open river or wide canal, there may be less need to slow down, but on somewhere like the Ashby, it is shallow and narrow, and you notice passing boats who make no effort to slow down no matter how well you are tied up, they will move the boat and cause it to buff the sides, not to mention they are usually going too fast and are causing a wash which is disgusting.

What is the rush anyway? I can understand if you have a hire boat, or a time share or a limited holiday schedule and you want to do a particular thing, but canals have boats on them, lots of them moored up, on long term or visitor moorings, and it doesn't take that much effort to slow down a little. Its supposed to be relaxing and laid back, as well as physical in the sense of doing locks.

If you want to speed, then there are other forms of transport in much more appropriate environments to do that. Canals (or at least a lot of them) have no place for speeders.

And most of you know enough to know when certain boats pass their effect on you in dependant on the type of boat. A deep draughted boat like a coal boat may go slow but will effect you, where as a smaller cruiser can whizz past and you hardly notice a thing.