Mooring Tender Result

GeoffS

Featured Posts

It is the value of THAT mooring at that time - it is not necessarily the value of any others. Granted, it is exceptional though, if it is not an error.

The value of anything is what somebody will pay you for it - that is what 'value' means, in this context.

It is the value of THAT mooring at that time - it is not necessarily the value of any others. Granted, it is exceptional though, if it is not an error.

The value of anything is what somebody will pay you for it - that is what 'value' means, in this context.

You're confusing value with price.

Just because someone is willing to pay an inflated price does not change the value. It means he is willing to pay more than the actual value of the item.

I have regularly sold antiques, at auction, for far more than their value, because I was fortunate enough to have two idiots in the same room, at the same time, wanting the same thing.

Where the tendering system differs is that you only need one idiot.

I think you are confusing 'valuation' with 'value' The former is a considered opinion, a guess, the latter is a specific sum of money.

A 'price' is a figure at which an item is offered for sale. The price can have everything or nothing to do with the value. It is just a fixed number the vendor has agreed to sell for.

If your antique sold for a higher figure than your original estimate, then your valuation was wrong. It was wrong because you were unable to factor in the effect of the two competing bidders. At that moment, when your two bidders fought it out, your antique's value was greatly increased. If you had three bidders it could have ended up with an even higher value. The final selling price was it's value at that time. Value is time dependent, before the auction it's value was less because there were no bidders expressing interest. During the auction circumstances change and so does the value.

I wonder if this mooring bidder thought he was using an eBay type system, ie: his £6,000 bid would simply be applied incrementally to the next price down, so he pays £3,610.

A fairly standard way of bidding on eBay is this; an auction for something you really, really want, it is likely to sell for £10 so you bid £1000. If the next highest bid comes in at £10 then you pay £11. Even if some nutter goes in at £20 you still only pay £21

(Question: What is the value of a 0.5l bottle of water?)

Edited by WJM

There a two vacant mooring slots at Cropredy just now - which seems odd because there are people on the fourteen day moorings who have paid for mooring permits on the, now closed, Cropredy North site.

I look forward, with some trepidation, to see what they will go for . . .

Edited to say that the two sites are vacant because the respective owners have disposed of their boats and are no longer interested. These moorings have not yet appeared on any tender list.

Edited by NB Alnwick

I'm not saying it is the case but recently on the G&S we had somebody not read the instructions and put down the bid for the whole 3 years, perhaps this is the same. Needless to say it went to the second bidder :lol:

Local mutterings have somebody else making the same mistake up the K & A earlier this year.

I think you are confusing 'valuation' with 'value' The former is a considered opinion, a guess, the latter is a specific sum of money.

A 'price' is a figure at which an item is offered for sale. The price can have everything or nothing to do with the value. It is just a fixed number the vendor has agreed to sell for.

If your antique sold for a higher figure than your original estimate, then your valuation was wrong. It was wrong because you were unable to factor in the effect of the two competing bidders. At that moment, when your two bidders fought it out, your antique's value was greatly increased. If you had three bidders it could have ended up with an even higher value. The final selling price was it's value at that time. Value is time dependent, before the auction it's value was less because there were no bidders expressing interest. During the auction circumstances change and so does the value.

Was it "not the nine o'clock news" that did a sketch on this sort of thing. I think it was a stamp and I can hear Rowan Atkinson saying, as auctioneer, "lot xxx, another twopenny blue (or whatever it was)".

Ive just seen the latest on the thread, this was the mooring I phoned up about a few weeks ago. In the end I couldnt bid anway because we're a widebeam and they're not allowed apparantly even though there is already one on the stretch. I wouldnt have won anyway, wouldnt have even been cloase to the second and third highet bidders lol.

Edited by Lesd

"... whoever it is will have no friends locally for screwing things up for us all."

Nonsense! All the other moorings will be sold under the same system but will likely attract much lower bids. And if BW were to return to fixed price sales, and they used this as the sustainable market value price, they would sell nothing. This one exceptional bid will make no difference to the surrounding moorings.

BW will factor this successful bid of £6000 into fixing levels of annual prices for moorings locally - to refelect local supply and demand, as will local marina operators, thus you will get the 'leap-frog' effect on prices. I am not just considering the effect this will have on the local tendering process, but mooring policy charges a a whole.

Mooring prices for BW linear moorings in the Marsworth area are amongst the highest on the GU South (London excluded) - be afraid, very afraid.

Albi

I don't see how BW and marinas can be allowed to use this high bid to alter their prices. If they could do that a marina operator could bid/buy bw moorings in order to have an excuse to raise their own prices and make overall profit. Privatisation by the back door?

... So for example there's a marina with 30 boats in it. A local towpath mudbath gets 'sold' for £6k a year. Marina owner explains to clients that the value of local moorings is going up. £500 pa rise in marina fees. Marina brings in £15k from fee rises less the £6k spent on the mooring and there's now one less online mooring available.

A possible scenario, but when fixing the price of anything, basic economic principles apply - supply and demand and what prices are being achieved for similar products locally. Whilst taking into account the theory that 'one swallow does not make a summer' a successful bid such as that at Marsworth will be taken into account when fixing prices of moorings locally by marina owners and BW.

The waiting lists were good, but, other than demand gave BW little indication of what the market would pay - the tendering (or auction) system does and this evidence can then be applied to linear mooring pricing and even end of garden moorings.

It will be even worse in an area where BW control both linear and marina moorings.

Like you say - 'I like boats' but soon the only boat we will be able to afford will be one in the bath.

Albi

• 4 months later...

HI Geoff,

We are watching this carefully, it may be the one which was advertised about a month ago, but that one appeared closer to the bridge and stated it 'was residential with parking available). it may be the former but as far as I am aware there is no parking, and was on the opposite side of the canal.

From the position of this one on the map it may be the one which was 'snapped' up for £6000 p.an earlier, as it appears to be about the same place on the towpath.

ALBION.

Yes from what I could see the one a month or so ago was on the other side. Good point thatthis could be the £6k bargain back on the market, in which case its good news. However if its a further one....

There was a "new" boat moored in the area when we went on holiday a couple of weeks ago - haven't been past since - so I assume that they were the original bidders.

Not too sure about the parking either, although I admit to not knowing the area too well. There is a car park by the reservoirs which moorers might have access to without payment. On the other hand, I think some of the moorers park in the pub car park, so there may be an arrangement there.

Finally, there is the local BW yard and, as I understand it, the old concrete works has now closed, so that might also be able to be used.

Can't think of anywhere else off-road for parking and I think some do actually park on the road

Hi,

Reservoir car park owned and administered by BW, who take no prisoners over parking charges and cars are subject to incidents involving vandalism.

Pub car park - pub (White Lion) has now changed hands and is run by the owner of the Anglers Retreat.

BW yard and former concrete works are owned and locked up by BW who are hoping to redevelop them.

I heard from a boat owner who 'lost' his diesel whilst moored at Marsworth recently, it was thought that this incident occured at Berko, but he confirmed that Marsworth was more likely.

Albion.

I see its still limited to narrow boat width despite a very large widebbeam being mooored there currently which causes no trouble at all. I called them last time ths site came up and got the brush off, dont think I'll bother this time.

Les

Edited by Lesd

The boat that was on what I thought was the previously auctioned mooring has since been replaced by the boat that always used to be there so I can but assume that, as I don't believe that there are any other new moorers in the area, the successful bidder last time has not taken up the mooring.

Its not clear exactly where the mooring is i.e. which side of the canal looking towards the locks. The previous mooring warden had a spot on the left hand side but the new mooring warden is moored somewhere completely different.

I wonder if the vacant slot is the one the old mooring warden had.

I don't know if anyone has spotted this file on the BW tender website. It's a list of all closed tenders and comments.

https://mooringtenders.waterscape.com/media...sed_Tenders.pdf

The formatting is a bit messed up (comments roll to a seperate page, but when you marry them up (page 5 with page 12), you can see that it looks like the 6k tender went through sucessfully!

big_bw_tender.png

I dunno what's going on there then, the Marsworth one (highlited green) is just below with a Highest Bid of £2k. Fine, except there was no tender of £2k!

Ref 330 (highlited red) was a £2k tender though! It's all over the place. The guide price of my mooring is listed as £200 higher than it says online.

Good all BW, hopefully the same clumsy oaf isn't looking after the online licence lookup database :lol:

Edited by ThePiglet