Irons

Ratsonline

Featured Posts

As some point later this year I am going to become one of the lucky one who continously cruise the network. Over the last couple of months I have been going through the wardrobes and sorting out what to take and what to leave behind. The captain has informed me that an iron is out of the question unless I can get something that is not going to use too much power. Now I know that a few creases won't hurt but there are some clothes that will need an iron occassionally. My question is what is the soloution, how do those of you that live permanently on board deal with this.

As long as the engine is running while you are using the iron then there is no issue - is there not? You are drawing power directly from the alternator, or from the batteries that are being replenished as you use them - I think?

Even as just a holiday boater you just dont have one. I guess if the boat has a stove you could go back to using a traditional flatiron. Bit of a learning curve though I would think!

P

Edited by pwl

As long as the engine is running while you are using the iron then there is no issue - is there not? You are drawing power directly from the alternator, or from the batteries that are being replenished as you use them - I think?

If you wish to iron whilst actually moving, it's probably one of those cases where a cruiser stern wins out over a trad - or get someone else to iron.

I would have said "or get someone else to steer", but steering is a hell of a lot more fun than ironing.

If you wish to iron whilst actually moving, it's probably one of those cases where a cruiser stern wins out over a trad - or get someone else to iron.

I would have said "or get someone else to steer", but steering is a hell of a lot more fun than ironing.

Looks like this could become a new branch of the sport "extreme ironing" - http://www.extremeironing.com/index.php

Regards

Catrin

This sounds like a a challenge for the "Extreme Ironing Folk" It just conjures up images of a guy on the roof of a NB, standing up in front of an ironing board, extension flex passed through a window or hatch, furiously ironing, determined to hang on until the very last nanosecond, before folding the ironing board down and hitting the boat's roof before coming into collision with the side of an oncoming bridge! This could run - I can picture this on Harry Hill's hoot of a show.......

dawg nabbit - I didn't see the preceding post....... :lol:

Edited by Byeckerslike

Chris can probably give more details but even with the engine running the problem is with a high useage device you will not put the same amount of power back into the batteries that the inverter / device will take out you just reduce it. It all depends on the power needed, quoted alternator ouput, engine revs and pully ratio.

P

Whether on a boat or at home, I only iron on a need to wear basis.

The only items that ever need ironing are Ken's shirts. I don't need to wear them so I don't have to iron them.

Some of the travel irons will run on a 12v system, I am told by one of my camper van buddies.

Whether on a boat or at home, I only iron on a need to wear basis.

The only items that ever need ironing are Ken's shirts. I don't need to wear them so I don't have to iron them.

Some of the travel irons will run on a 12v system, I am told by one of my camper van buddies.

kens shirts don't fit me, so I have to iron some of my own. You may find that Kens shirts will fit you though - that will save you having to bother.