Must get one

sbillis

Featured Posts

Just got back from three days on the Grand Union. It was bitterly cold especially when we had snow, and painful when the hailstones came down. The covering of snow on the Easter Sunday morning gave me the opportunity to get some pictures of our boat in a snowy scene. We were also able to view the historic boat gathering at Stoke Bruerne. It was surprising to see so many boats considering the weather.

I have now decided that I should buy a historic boat because there are lots of things some owners of historic boats can do and mere narrowboat owners cannot.

Historic boat owners can moor three abreast in the narrowest part of the channel to create a single boat width line thus ensuring mayhem and entertainment for all with the dozens of passing boats over the Easter weekend. They can stand outside on their moored boat, in a blizzard, to shout “slow down mate” at every newcomer to the canals who passes in a hire boat even though they have slowed to an absolute crawl and have obvious difficulty steering in a stiff wind. They can travel at great speed themselves early in the morning passed lines of moored boats at almost full speed thus ensuring all still in slumber have an equally early start (on Easter Sunday morning). They can then without the courtesy of being waved on overtake another boat on a bend at the same time as passing moored boats and when challenged “what the hell are you doing” say “this boat is deep draught and will not do slow down”.

Must get one of those boats.

Apart from that we had a great Easter.

Simon

nb Bulrush

Just got back from three days on the Grand Union. It was bitterly cold especially when we had snow, and painful when the hailstones came down. The covering of snow on the Easter Sunday morning gave me the opportunity to get some pictures of our boat in a snowy scene. We were also able to view the historic boat gathering at Stoke Bruerne. It was surprising to see so many boats considering the weather.

I have now decided that I should buy a historic boat because there are lots of things some owners of historic boats can do and mere narrowboat owners cannot.

Historic boat owners can moor three abreast in the narrowest part of the channel to create a single boat width line thus ensuring mayhem and entertainment for all with the dozens of passing boats over the Easter weekend. They can stand outside on their moored boat, in a blizzard, to shout “slow down mate” at every newcomer to the canals who passes in a hire boat even though they have slowed to an absolute crawl and have obvious difficulty steering in a stiff wind. They can travel at great speed themselves early in the morning passed lines of moored boats at almost full speed thus ensuring all still in slumber have an equally early start (on Easter Sunday morning). They can then without the courtesy of being waved on overtake another boat on a bend at the same time as passing moored boats and when challenged “what the hell are you doing” say “this boat is deep draught and will not do slow down”.

Simon

nb Bulrush

For a few days, dotted around the system, you have lots of historic boats, in one place, which many people go to enjoy, and a few whinge about it.

All year round you get hire fleets mooring 3 and 4 abreast, which present no attraction whatsoever, try Clifton, Rugby, for example.

There are some pig ignorant Historic boat owners, you have probably met some of them.

There are also equally ignorant hirers and modern boat owners, you've probably met some of them.

The ignorant ones can usually be spotted whingeing about their ignorant counterparts, in the other camps.

Historic boats!

Whats the point in that?

You spend all your money and time keeping em afloat and alive and risking life an limb taking em to festivals in far flung foreign places...(oostend in my case)

Your told left right and centre how wonderful it is to see history kept alive and in good condition and then when you try to sell.......forget it......just a collection of old planks and iron.

ps would still do it again tomorrow if swmbo was up for it ;)

Simon

nb Bulrush

Simon did you not realise that a great majority of Historic boat owners think they own the canals and can do as they wish. Maybe not the majority but a lot do anyway. Most of the boaters who shout "slow down mate" have been moored for so long that they have no concept of speed and then only enjoyment they have in life is to shout. Yes i do have boats come past me very fast but in my opinion life is to short to worry and anyway by the time you shout they have gone and nothing is achieved. The other thing about owning a historic boat is that when you go to the pub your conversation can only be about canals and boat engines (snore, snore, snore)

The other thing about owning a historic boat is that when you go to the pub your conversation can only be about canals and boat engines (snore, snore, snore)

Rubbish...... everyone knows that when more than 3 boaters gather together the main topic of conversation is chemical toilets.... Bucket and chuck-it for me every time...... ;)

Simon did you not realise that a great majority of historic boat owners think they own the canals and can do as they wish.
Simon did you not realise that a great majority of shared ownership boat owners think they own the canals and can do as they wish.
Simon did you not realise that a great majority of private boat owners think they own the canals and can do as they wish.
Simon did you not realise that a great majority of hotel boat owners think they own the canals and can do as they wish.
Simon did you not realise that a great majority of hirer boaters think they own the canals and can do as they wish.
Simon did you not realise that a great majority of wooden boat owners think they own the canals and can do as they wish.
Simon did you not realise that a great majority of fibreglass boat owners think they own the canals and can do as they wish.
Simon did you not realise that a great majority of boat owners think they own the canals and can do as they wish.
Simon did you not realise that a great majority of anglers think they own the canals and can do as they wish.
Simon did you not realise that a great majority of bW patrol officers think they own the canals and can do as they wish.
Delete as appropriate to your own personal little gripe!

The majority of us enjoy the colour and history that the historic boats bring to the canal scene.

In my case I admire the work that the owners have done to restore and keep their vessels in that condition - it is not easy or cheap . . .

I think Canal Boat Traditionalists are a bit like Muslims really... ;)

You've got your hardcore types - intolerant, unreasonable, living in the past. They seldom take an interest in anything outside their small sphere of obsession and look down on all those who don't strictly follow the faith. You will rarely see these people laugh or smile.

Then there are the moderates - they too have an interest but are not blinkered and are able to see the wider world outside. They're much more reasonable and don't look down on everyone else.

Edited by blackrose

Boat rallies and festivals are great and its nice to view the boats at the gathering. However they should leave a passage through for boats who wish to sail on by. Some folk have seen it all before or dont see the attraction that others do.

Blocking the canals to other users just because a few wish to hold a gathering is no excuse. The blame lies with the event organisers who should stop boats breasting up to the detriment of others.

Blocking the canals to other users just because a few wish to hold a gathering is no excuse. The blame lies with the event organisers who should stop boats breasting up to the detriment of others.

Sometime I see them mooring up three abreast even when there's plenty of space to moor and no obvious demand for visitor moorings.

What's that all about then?

While I'm sure we all appreciate people bresting up when visitor moorings are in short supply, when there's plenty of space I can't help thinking that sometimes rather than any reasons of practicality, this behaviour has more to do with exclusivity and attention seeking.

Edited by blackrose

couple of historic boats at liverpool docks last year , the crews were beside themselves because bw and the city council had not brought their presence to the attention of the local people and they had no crowds to bore.

whinging whining good for nothings the lot of them.

Sometime I see them mooring up three abreast even when there's plenty of space to moor and no obvious demand for visitor moorings.

What's that all about then?

I suspect it's the same mentality that some caravanners have with these so-called 'club' rallies. All that's missing with the Nb lot is a flagpole with a pennant hanging limply from it. In other words, a lack of individuality!

(Mind you, at least caravanners do it in a field in the middle of nowhere, and only block the roadway going to and from their Jamboree)

couple of historic boats at liverpool docks last year , the crews were beside themselves because bw and the city council had not brought their presence to the attention of the local people and they had no crowds to bore.

;):D:D

For a guess, had the historic boats gathering at Stoke Brurene tied up singled out and taken up all the moorings between 'The Boat' and the tunnel mouth, they'd be winging about that instead......... There's some folk you can't please whatever you did. If you look back at old photographs you'll see that these sorts of gatherings often took place over holiday weekends as the locks were often closed for repair at Easter, Whitsun weekend, etc. rather than for the whole winter.....These folk are just attempting to emulate that.I'm sure the way wasn't totally blocked.... ;)

For a guess, had the historic boats gathering at Stoke Brurene tied up singled out and taken up all the moorings between 'The Boat' and the tunnel mouth, they'd be winging about that instead......... There's some folk you can't please whatever you did. If you look back at old photographs you'll see that these sorts of gatherings often took place over holiday weekends as the locks were often closed for repair at Easter, Whitsun weekend, etc. rather than for the whole winter.....These folk are just attempting to emulate that.I'm sure the way wasn't totally blocked.... ;)

It's them Ownerships types that take over Braunston......

I can't stand those military types that stop the traffic with their remembrance.....

All those new boat buyers that clog up Crick.....

What about those whingers that clog up forums....

Blah blah put them all in the stocks, wasn't like this when we had National Service.......

Simon

nb Bulrush

Simon

In right of reply:

I am quite probably that “arrogant” historic boat owner who owns the canal etc etc who told you quote” “this boat is deep draught and will not do slow down”

If you are indeed the inconsiderate “boater” I think you are then please let me explain a couple of points

1: If you insist on taking a centre line on a channel which has a shallow towpath edge and weed growth on the offside when your craft is drawing 2ft ish and I am due to the age/design /choice drawing 3’4” and you insist on not having the courtesy or sense to move over then I am going to have a word or two

Please do not feel that you were single out for any comments because by then you were just one of the many who cannot understand that these big old boats do need a bit more water and space. It’s all about choice my friend, you chose your boat/hire company whatever and my Partner and I chose ours. My comment was though if you are going to quote me “This boat is deep draughted and if I go any slower I will be aground” this was followed in most cases by a well aimed PRAT !

2. HNBOC gathering at Stoke Bruerne, No I was not part of that meeting but we had no problem navigating the 3 abreast boats with 72’ and a deep draught! Many people get great enjoyment from seeing the historic boats.

If some time you would like to experience how difficult it occasionally can be to move a full length boat around then please do get in contact with me and I will try to arrange something for you, and when like us if you have a fibreglass cruiser suddenly pull off a mooring at Napton junction directly in front of us the stop dead in the middle of the canal to chat to his mate on another boat you may start to realise what I am on about.

If of course this was not you, then please just take this as a Tuesday Morning rant, after 4 days of being out on the cut

Chris

N.b BALDOCK

, and when like us if you have a fibreglass cruiser suddenly pull off a mooring at Napton junction directly in front of us the stop dead in the middle of the canal to chat to his mate on another boat you may start to realise what I am on about.

Chris

N.b BALDOCK

:rolleyes::rolleyes::)

Does this mean you've got a nice new shiny fibeglass fender????

simon.

:rolleyes::):D

Does this mean you've got a nice new shiny fibeglass fender????

simon.

Without any exaggeration Simon the fore end was probably less than a foot from his outboard when the Baldock finally stopped.

I was in full on reverse on shallow water (and picked up another bladefull at the same time) :rolleyes:

Once Lise had remonstrated suitably with the "gentleman" driving it another boat had come out and turned straight into the boat following us knocking off his chimney cover and tipping the contents of his boat all over the floor

Yep there really are some dickheads out there …. On the other hand there were a couple doodling along in their nice new shiny Hudson who waved us through (I think the Big Woolwich fore end he saw might have had something to do with it….

“ Do you mind if I play through” was my cheery cry ……

Without any exaggeration Simon the fore end was probably less than a foot from his outboard when the Baldock finally stopped.

I was in full on reverse on shallow water (and picked up another bladefull at the same time) :rolleyes:

Once Lise had remonstrated suitably with the "gentleman" driving it another boat had come out and turned straight into the boat following us knocking off his chimney cover and tipping the contents of his boat all over the floor

Yep there really are some dickheads out there …. On the other hand there were a couple doodling along in their nice new shiny Hudson who waved us through (I think the Big Woolwich fore end he saw might have had something to do with it….

“ Do you mind if I play through” was my cheery cry ……

Chris,

Many years ago, 1st week of June 1970, a group of air force apprentices myself amongst them hired an ex working boat for a week, basic as it comes, boatman’s cabin, engine, hold planked over and the cloths as a mobile tent, 12 bunk beds and a bucket.

We were on our way back, after a glorious week, to the hire base somewhere in the Midlands, with me steering, we entered a lock, dropped down and had to make a sharp right turn out of the lock. As the front of the boat exited the lock it started to rise, the far side of the canal was silted up, I kept going and eventually wiggled the back of the boat out of the lock and started to straighten up. The front of the boat then dropped over the silt and the back raised, the prop virtually out of the water. At that point I looked forward to behold the world’s largest sign “DANGER DO NOT MOOR BETWEEN THE POSTS” underneath the sign, indeed all along the bend between the posts were moored small fibreglass cruisers. We were heading straight for the one underneath the sign, if you think stopping a full length boat is difficult in shallow water I can confirm it is impossible if the prop is running in air, we cut it in half, at which point the back of our boat returned to the water.

The cruiser’s owner a middle aged gentleman dressed in cavalry twill slacks, blazer, cravat, neatly finished off with a captains hat was purple with rage. We backed off, moored up, beyond the posts, and went back to examine the damage. It was total the cruiser was in two halves, we called the hire base and about half an hour later the owner of our boat arrived, he checked his boat, not a scratch, we showed him the cruiser and its owner. His comment, “if you’re stupid enough to moor under a sign that big with that message you deserve everything you get”, he explained the sign was erected to stop just this problem, whenever a full length boat came out of the lock and turned right it went up over the silt, deposited by the operation of the lock, and hit the bank, or anything which was in the way. The cruiser’s owners strangled comment about compensation or insurance was met with a “good luck mate, but I don’t think you’re insured against stupidity, I know I’m not”.

That was my first trip on the canals but it didn’t put me off although I’ve never sunk another one, well not yet.

:rolleyes:

Ken

Chris,

Many years ago, 1st week of June 1970, a group of air force apprentices myself amongst them hired an ex working boat for a week, basic as it comes, boatman’s cabin, engine, hold planked over and the cloths as a mobile tent, 12 bunk beds and a bucket.

We were on our way back, after a glorious week, to the hire base somewhere in the Midlands, with me steering, we entered a lock, dropped down and had to make a sharp right turn out of the lock. As the front of the boat exited the lock it started to rise, the far side of the canal was silted up, I kept going and eventually wiggled the back of the boat out of the lock and started to straighten up. The front of the boat then dropped over the silt and the back raised, the prop virtually out of the water. At that point I looked forward to behold the world’s largest sign “DANGER DO NOT MOOR BETWEEN THE POSTS” underneath the sign, indeed all along the bend between the posts were moored small fibreglass cruisers. We were heading straight for the one underneath the sign, if you think stopping a full length boat is difficult in shallow water I can confirm it is impossible if the prop is running in air, we cut it in half, at which point the back of our boat returned to the water.

The cruiser’s owner a middle aged gentleman dressed in cavalry twill slacks, blazer, cravat, neatly finished off with a captains hat was purple with rage. We backed off, moored up, beyond the posts, and went back to examine the damage. It was total the cruiser was in two halves, we called the hire base and about half an hour later the owner of our boat arrived, he checked his boat, not a scratch, we showed him the cruiser and its owner. His comment, “if you’re stupid enough to moor under a sign that big with that message you deserve everything you get”, he explained the sign was erected to stop just this problem, whenever a full length boat came out of the lock and turned right it went up over the silt, deposited by the operation of the lock, and hit the bank, or anything which was in the way. The cruiser’s owners strangled comment about compensation or insurance was met with a “good luck mate, but I don’t think you’re insured against stupidity, I know I’m not”.

That was my first trip on the canals but it didn’t put me off although I’ve never sunk another one, well not yet.

:rolleyes:

Ken

Stunning Ken ! spilt coffee everywhere when I read that....

Chris :rolleyes:

Mind you I did get a bollocking off one irate "shiny" last Sat afternoon when I was waiting for a lock to be turned..MrGrumpy stuck his head out of the side door and told me to piss off as I was interfering with his satellite tv picture and he was videoing it !...oh well take allsorts to make a liquorice

Stunning Ken ! spilt coffee everywhere when I read that....

Chris :rolleyes:

Mind you I did get a bollocking off one irate "shiny" last Sat afternoon when I was waiting for a lock to be turned..MrGrumpy stuck his head out of the side door and told me to piss off as I was interfering with his satellite tv picture and he was videoing it !...oh well take allsorts to make a liquorice

Well if he was videoing it, he could have come out to help Lise with the lock.....

Did Hemel feel shallow to you?

Simon.