Why is buying a boat difficult

Shamu1

Featured Posts

We have been trying to finalise the purchase of our boat for two weeks and now the owner has a Solicitor involved we have done the contract sent the cheque made payable to the owner but they should of been made payable to the solicitor for them to clear. I am slowly drowning my comfort eating and drinking at at a amber level at the moment. The river is now in flood so that is going to delay matters more AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Please someone say nice things to remind me of the calming nature of being on a narrowboat

We have been trying to finalise the purchase of our boat for two weeks and now the owner has a Solicitor involved we have done the contract sent the cheque made payable to the owner but they should of been made payable to the solicitor for them to clear. I am slowly drowning my comfort eating and drinking at at a amber level at the moment. The river is now in flood so that is going to delay matters more AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Please someone say nice things to remind me of the calming nature of being on a narrowboat

Strange isn't it how things start to go wrong and get delayed when a so-called expert gets involved. Still it will be a long good summer even if the price of everything that is an essential is going up by 20%. Hope this helps!!!!! :o

Just think of all us non boat owners who would love to be in the position that we could purchase a boat!!! :(

I'm jealous of all the nice canal cruising you will be having in the near future!! :o

Stewey

Err um ah ehhh...........

Even with all the sh*t it I would rather be living on and boating than stuck in a 33 story rabbit hutch :o

This is facing a harsh 4 day run with the weather forcast of crap !

Keep smiling

Chris

I have just gone to local shop bought 5 bottles of cider and a bar of chocolate got crisps and about to go into melt down the funds have cleared but stupid current owner has not contacted her solicitor before weekend aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag

I have just gone to local shop bought 5 bottles of cider and a bar of chocolate got crisps and about to go into melt down the funds have cleared but stupid current owner has not contacted her solicitor before weekend aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag

I've never heard of a vendor of a second hand boat employing the services of a solicitor so this isn't typical (just a conspiricy against you :o )

I could understand why a buyer might want a solicitor, but usually the sight of large wedges of cash or a bankers draft is enough to motivate the vendor into relinquishing possession...

RCD was the other week a lot of nice people on here sent me stuff builder did not like it but its a legal requirement, the boat was owned by a Charity hence the solicitor but i am not paying for her so do not care been on phone and e-mails all day so present owner will have a bill that is huge.

Lets hope the stupid current owner isnt a member of this forum or you may be waiting a good sight longer ;)

If it was a charity boat they have to jump through hoops as per the charity laws if they dont do it as per system requirements they could loose there charity status weather looks bad for the weekend so you won`t be missing much

If it was a charity boat they have to jump through hoops as per the charity laws if they dont do it as per system requirements they could loose there charity status weather looks bad for the weekend so you won`t be missing much

The weather for the w/e is going to be astounding! I shall be maritime mobile to Napton, enjoying the sunshine and warm fresh air.

Eanyone else boating this weekend?

The weather for the w/e is going to be astounding! I shall be maritime mobile to Napton, enjoying the sunshine and warm fresh air.

Heading up to middlewich tommorrow, cant wait, it can rain all it wants I will still be smiling. As for waiting for a boat, When the deal was made for my boat the agreement was that i would get first option when they were going to sell as they were fitting their new boat out. I had to wait 12 months and it seemed forever then , now it seems no time at all as I would have waited 2 years as this was my ideal boat. Was it worth the wait? You bet it was. So be patent as the first time you go cruising on the boat all the waiting and hassle will be a distant memory.

Hope everyone cruising has a nice weekend and remember there is no such thing as the wrong kind of weather only the wrong kind of clothes. ;)

Edited by Brin Morris

only problem there is i want to be going up the soar and if it rains to much we won`t get back

There was a time when,

there were only two brokers in WW and five pages of boats for sale privately. No artificially high prices for more commision, y'know, like estate agents.

No BSC, no surveyors after your brass.

No problems finding moorings, BWB had 'em everywhere, and you didn't have to bid for them, try and get a towpath mooring on the Trent and Marina now.

Other boaters didn't give a toss if you paid licence/mooring fees or not.

There were definitely no people on any moorings watching what you do, making sure you behave, move on etc. Now known as mooring wardens, aka secret police.

No training schools after your brass.

No breakdown service after your brass.

We didn't use Japanese van engines in our boats.

BWB maintained our canals for us. It was our canals back then, managed by BWB for us, honestly.

No forums scaring you half to death if you didn't have rcds, bonded electrical watsits, bus bars,(?), co2 detectors, gas detectors, wear lifejackets, poo tanks etc. etc.

You only saw "Boatwoman bonnets" and collarless shirts with red neckerchiefs on men and pet dogs at the odd rally.

Not too many people "living their dream" and waxing on about it without a pause for breath. Theres one up here, likes balancing a 20p piece on his "Gardener" (I know) while it ticks over, and honestly hand on heart, he's not been through a lock yet!

And ....no solicitors.

Life was simpler on the cut a couple of decades ago, so much more FUN, I wonder sometimes why it changed so much.

Andy.

YES TRAVIS It was a good time !

and you could get 'em ahead !

Heading up to middlewich tommorrow, cant wait, it can rain all it wants I will still be smiling.

Seen my boy on KANGAROO ?

He left Alvecote for the Port on Tuesday afternoon and has not been heard of since !!

Edited by bargeeboy

There was a time when,

there were only two brokers in WW and five pages of boats for sale privately. No artificially high prices for more commision, y'know, like estate agents.

No problems finding moorings, BWB had 'em everywhere, and you didn't have to bid for them, try and get a towpath mooring on the Trent and Marina now.

There were definitely no people on any moorings watching what you do, making sure you behave, move on etc. Now known as mooring wardens, aka secret police.

BWB maintained our canals for us. It was our canals back then, managed by BWB for us, honestly.

No forums scaring you half to death if you didn't have rcds, bonded electrical watsits, bus bars,(?), co2 detectors, gas detectors, wear lifejackets, poo tanks etc. etc.

You only saw "Boatwoman bonnets" and collarless shirts with red neckerchiefs on men and pet dogs at the odd rally.

Not too many people "living their dream" and waxing on about it without a pause for breath. Theres one up here, likes balancing a 20p piece on his "Gardener" (I know) while it ticks over, and honestly hand on heart, he's not been through a lock yet!

And ....no solicitors.

Life was simpler on the cut a couple of decades ago, so much more FUN, I wonder sometimes why it changed so much.

Andy.

Hi Andy,

I had no interest in narrowboats or canals up until a couple of years ago, so I can not judge how things have altered myself, but can well imagine what you say to be the case.

Unfortunately, I suppose the canals are no different to how things have changed on the roads.

20 years ago parking was easier, traffic was at an acceptable level, National speed limits were universal across the UK and not set at the whim of a local council, and no speed cameras every few miles............The list of things goes on.

Like many other motorists, I used to enjoy driving but not any more.

Let us hope this does not prove to be the case for boaters.

Regards,

Pav.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who hankers after the old days. To such an extent that I've gone back to the coast and have got a mooring on an old-style boatyard with real people and a genuine desire to help and enjoy, rather than just earn.

There was a time when,

And ....no solicitors.

Andy.

Those of us who boated then can all reflect on how much has changed but the change was inevitable. What would the waterways be like now if they were used by the small numbers of the 60s, 70s and 80s? Would government have continued to fund them?

There are many changes that I dislike - the "theme parking" is one. Foxton was lovely until somebody decided it was a "world heritage site". Now it's like Disneyworld. Gas Street Basin was an enchanting secret world hidden away in Birmingham accessed on foot by a little door in a wall. Stupid signs all over the system telling you that you're on the "Towpath Trail" or some equally stupid moniker when it is plainly obvious that you are on a towpath.

But nevertheless when I go out cruising (which is nowhere near as often as I would like to) I still find a spirit of camaraderie and community among many boaters. Certainly you encounter the occasional PITA, but then you always did.

Thailand was an enchanting and mysterious place 25 years ago which is why it attracted the maverick backpacking travellers looking for something different. Now it's all package holidays and horrible beach resorts.

When the IWA started, those early pioneers were involved in promoting the leisure use of the waterways as much if not more than trying to save the waterways for commercial use. And, boy, have they succeeded. I think the IWA and Tom Rolt parted company early on because he just hated the idea of it becoming what it has. He hankered for what he saw as a golden past that was simply not sustainable.

Something about cake and eating it here, I feel.

But yes, Travis, those were great times. But I don't think they are SOOOO bad now.

Edited by Dominic M

Good words Dominic, IIRC there were around 20k boats around twenty years ago and more like 30k now. Was it that we all had smaller boats? I dont recall ever having to queue for locks anywhere when we had our annual holidays. What will it be like on the Trent and Marina today, bad weather or not?

Anyway, those days, you just bought a boat or just built one. It was so simple. Remember when CofC came in? Chaos!

Andy.

Good words Dominic, IIRC there were around 20k boats around twenty years ago and more like 30k now. Was it that we all had smaller boats? I dont recall ever having to queue for locks anywhere when we had our annual holidays. What will it be like on the Trent and Marina today, bad weather or not?

Anyway, those days, you just bought a boat or just built one. It was so simple. Remember when CofC came in? Chaos!

Andy.

Do I remember when the CofC came in??? Not arrf! (to quote Alan Freeman). I was outraged at the time - I thought it was a wholly unnecessary intrusion into a fundamentally safe pastime. As you say, more brass. And now they've removed the subsidy from the scheme, even MORE brass. Has it made a safety difference? I'm completely unconvinced. There people were, in a blind panic ripping out perfectly good instant water heaters, gas fridges that didn't drain your batteries - oh, God, you've set me off on memory lane now! ;) (Somebody will possibly reply that you weren't actually required to do these things, but nevertheless the seeds of fear had been sown.)

I had a 1910 rivetted iron boat at the time. A little 43ft x 9ft Dutch tjalk that had floated for 80+ years, survived two world wars, but apparently some discharge skin fittings were too close to the waterline. And they didn't like the sight glass that let you know if you had any diesel in the tank. Total twaddle. So I took it to Ireland where they didn't care at all about such things.

Now they've watered down the scheme so much that I'm not sure it does anything other than cost you £140 every four years. Worse, those new to boating often think that a new BSC is the equivalent of a full survey, so it is actually misleading. In reality you can get a BSC on a boat that is on the verge of sinking.

Anyway, time has passed...........

This post has been certified as compliant with BS1307 Part V

Label: Signature Below

Dominic