Free-standing gas cooker?

Tomska

Featured Posts

I fitted a Stoves Newhome on my last boat which had 12v ignition and flame failure. At the time it was the only one on the market approved for marine use.

The best deal I could find was from a company called Danfast in Hull.

Ours is 16yo now, and was fitted before the FSD/FFD rule came in.

- However its a fairly nice stoves unit, with electric ignition runing off a single aa battery. Which lasts years.

- Fairly sure its a 500mm unit too. Sits between two kitchen units, and it attached to them via screws though the side pannel.

Daniel

can i just ask what i am sure has been done already but i dont know.

do these bendix cookers only need to be installed as they come or do you need to fit anything to make them comply. i know an lpg kit needs to go on but as far as flame failure stuff are they ready to go?

I am about to refit the galley. Although the cooker is working OK it is 16 years old so I am thinking of replacing it at the same time. What is an lpg kit and is it difficult to install? Is it necessary if you buy a cooker designed to run on mains gas?

I am about to refit the galley. Although the cooker is working OK it is 16 years old so I am thinking of replacing it at the same time. What is an lpg kit and is it difficult to install? It now comes with the cooker but check just in case, just need to change the jets instructions with cooker Is it necessary if you buy a cooker designed to run on mains gas? Yes but as before most, if not all, come with the kit.

Make sure you get a cooker with a flame failure device (FFD) on all burners.

Make sure you get a cooker with a flame failure device (FFD) on all burners.

We're looking into replacing our 20 year cooker on our boat. I have seen one I like at a chandlers but it's £375 which is a lot of money.

I believe you are supposed to get the new cooker fitted by a CORGI registered installer and you then need a Boat Safety Examiner and the new cooker will not be included in your BSC unless inspected and having a non-compliant appliance invalidates you BSC and makes you in breach of the BW licence conditions.

Wheres Rob Boat Safety when you need him? Perhaps he can put us right on the do's and don'ts of replacing your cooker?

D

I believe you are supposed to get the new cooker fitted by a CORGI registered installer and you then need a Boat Safety Examiner and the new cooker will not be included in your BSC unless inspected and having a non-compliant appliance invalidates you BSC and makes you in breach of the BW licence conditions.

Hi There

Has there been a decision made about Corgi fitters and boats. Non that I have contacted want to be involved with boats.

Alex

I don't believe that the cooker has to be bolted to the floor on a narrow boat. Chain retention which prevents the flexible connection coming under tension or strain is normally sufficient. My boat has such a set up and has never failed a BSC inspection. I would add that in my case the cooker is tight between two bulkheads and the only way it could move is to tip forwards, which is where the chain retention comes in.

Tony

We're looking into replacing our 20 year cooker on our boat. I have seen one I like at a chandlers but it's £375 which is a lot of money.

Wheres Rob Boat Safety when you need him? Perhaps he can put us right on the do's and don'ts of replacing your cooker?

D

Asleep usually.....

If you are engaging a a professional to fit the cooker on a boat used primarily as a residence and the fitting involves 'work' to the system, then the professional must be corgi registered for lpg installation on boats.

Our advice is always use a competent person to carry out gas work - whether paid or not. following manufacturers installation instructions.

Having a new cooker fitted will not mean having to have a new BSS certificate or examination, but the owner is responsible for ensuring the craft meets the requirements at all times the boat is on the waterway. Indeed FFD's on all burners including the hobs. Also check the connection once the cooker is installed (leak detection fluid if the fitter hasn't done that already). Ensure the connections are compliant. If the cooker has a bayonet hose connecting it to the gas supply line, if it is as old as the defunct/replaced cooker, think about replacing it. If the regulator is over 10 years old think about replacing it. check you have the cooker fixed or restrained in place. Finally, if you have one in the gas locker, check the bubble tester to reassure yourself that there are no gas leaks.

Just a few tips.

Now can I go back to sleep please

Regards

Rob@BSS Office

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post, but.... As it seems it is for the benefit of all those on the forum. Moderators feel free to delete if you feel it is not appropriate.

Alde have a large stock of 400 series Smev cookers in stock. They are fully compliant and have FFD's on oven, grill and all four burners including gas shut off on the glass lid. They come with 12V ignition as std. 484mm x L 514mm D x 914mm H

This is a one off offer that will be withdrawn once the stock is sold. Black or Silver colour options are available. Cookers must be collected as they do not travel well by courier.

Offer Price to forum members - Serie 400 all in one cooker £399 Inc VAT

RRP £821.33

If you are interested please contact Alde direct, or PM me and I'll help when I can but I'm away much of the time.

http://www.alde.co.uk/products.php?itemCat...p;itemCat2=smev :clapping:

Edited by Mr Leigh

anyone know if these cookers confirm to the RCD CE mark? I've just discovered this beautiful piece of regulation, which apparently I need when fitting out my new sailaway, and which is harsher than the BSS especially when it comes to gas appliances

Sorry not being awful here but you weren't actually aware of RCD prior to buying a sailaway? (Surely someone must have mentioned it before?)

On the cooker it's a bit of a grey area if the cooker as LPG jets and flame failure it does meet the requirements in theory, but ideally it should state in the literature that is suitable for marine use.

If it doesn't or states that it's not suitable for marine use then using it can leave you open to having to take sole responsibility if there is an incident involving it.

You can choose not to comply with the RCD if you do not want too, but it can have implications later if you don't.

Edited by Gary Peacock

On the cooker it's a bit of a grey area if the cooker as LPG jets and flame failure it does meet the requirements in theory, but ideally it should state in the literature that is suitable for marine use.

The SMEV cooker 400 which i assume we are talking about is described by the manufacturer as a marine unit, but it is NOT as described above a free-standing cooker, something not immediately apparent from the brochures or website and I am a little bit grumpy about it.

It is a built-in unit, with the added disadvantage of being a very un-standard height (914mm).

Be-aware.

Asleep usually.....

If you are engaging a a professional to fit the cooker on a boat used primarily as a residence and the fitting involves 'work' to the system, then the professional must be corgi registered for lpg installation on boats.

Our advice is always use a competent person to carry out gas work - whether paid or not. following manufacturers installation instructions.

Having a new cooker fitted will not mean having to have a new BSS certificate or examination, but the owner is responsible for ensuring the craft meets the requirements at all times the boat is on the waterway. Indeed FFD's on all burners including the hobs. Also check the connection once the cooker is installed (leak detection fluid if the fitter hasn't done that already). Ensure the connections are compliant. If the cooker has a bayonet hose connecting it to the gas supply line, if it is as old as the defunct/replaced cooker, think about replacing it. If the regulator is over 10 years old think about replacing it. check you have the cooker fixed or restrained in place. Finally, if you have one in the gas locker, check the bubble tester to reassure yourself that there are no gas leaks.

Just a few tips.

Now can I go back to sleep please

Regards

Rob@BSS Office

Only just caught up with this thread. Thanks Rob for the input. Looks like me and him are not going to see much change out of £500 by the time we've bought a new cooker, and most likely replaced the bayonet hose and possibly the regulator too although on our recent BSC everything all seemed to be fine and of course hired a LPG fitter to install the lot. No parties for us for a while then .... or the pub .... (except for the rugby until the end of the Six Nations).

D