Free-standing gas cooker?

Tomska

Featured Posts

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced full size free-standing gas cooker that doesn't require 240v for ignition? I don't mind whether ignition is 12v or a match.

Thanks.

Just don't plug the ignition in. Make sure it doesn't have a fan oven. I bought a newworld one - not sure the grill is up to much mind you.

I bought the same one, plus a really cheap inverter to provide the 240v from a nearby 12v supply. As Bones said, the grill is useless - I phoned New World about it and the Customer Service Representative agreed with me that they are useless for making toast.

It's now obsolete, which is a shame because it was the ONLY 50cm free-standing cooker approved for use in boats, and now there isn't one so you'll have to find room for a 55 or 60 cm one.

I bought the same one, plus a really cheap inverter to provide the 240v from a nearby 12v supply. As Bones said, the grill is useless - I phoned New World about it and the Customer Service Representative agreed with me that they are useless for making toast.

It's now obsolete, which is a shame because it was the ONLY 50cm free-standing cooker approved for use in boats, and now there isn't one so you'll have to find room for a 55 or 60 cm one.

How can a free standing gas cooker be approved for use in boats? I'm staggered that anyone would want to put one in.

Aha. So I can't just buy one from Comet then...? How do I know whether a cooker is approved for boats or not? Presumably it's a BSC requirement? Something to do with it needing an FFD or sommat?

How can a free standing gas cooker be approved for use in boats? I'm staggered that anyone would want to put one in.

If you fix it in, what's the problem? Have you never seen a boat with a full size cooker in it?

Edited by Tomska

Aha. So I can't just buy one from Comet then...? How do I know whether a cooker is approved for boats or not? Presumably it's a BSC requirement? Something to do with it needing an FFD or sommat?

If you fix it in, what's the problem? Have you never seen a boat with a full size cooker in it?

I have a full-size cooker and so do lots of people. The hob and the ovens (or grill) must have a flame failure device to cut out the gas should the flame blow out. Cookers must be chained to the lining of bulkhead securely and mine has an additional heat dispersal fan on it (which is blinking noisy). You can still buy a 50cm cooker from a swindlers for far too many pounds but a narrow job is unlikely from Comet. Please be aware of the fitting requirements.

Good luck!

Jill

The comments about securing something as heavy and potentially dangerous as cooker are all relevant, but I think the terminology might be adding some confusion.

A free standing cooker has adjustable feet and colour finished side panels that can be exposed.

A built in or slot in cooker may not come with feet and may have plain steel side panels to sit within a run of units.

I noticed recently when looking for a free standing gas cooker that as well as having 240v ignition a lot of them had a small fan, not a fan assited oven, when i questioned why this was, it was to do with some EU rule that the oven sides had to stay below a certain temp. It also meant that the manufacturers could use plastic knobs instead of bakelite type of knobs, if the fan was not used the knobs melted!

Thanks all. I'm actually not too worried about size, so up to 600mm wide is fine. I've seen a really nice "Stoves" one with 12v ignition, but it's over 500 quid!!!!!!!

Don't like the sound of all that knob-melting malarkey - going to have to keep an eye out for that. Thanks.

SG210.jpg

TRICITY BENDIX Single cavity freestanding cooker, Combined oven/grill, 4 burners, drop down lid, adjustable feet, fitted with full flame failure devices, 910(H) x 500(W) x 536(D), Please Note: This cooker is supplied without a grill pan handle.

Now this isn't like the model it looks like it as got full FFD's fitted.

Cost is £288.69inc VAT

Tricity Bendix will not carry out warranty work to the unit while it on the boat or officially endorse it for marine use even though it does meet all the requirements. (This is the norm with domestic cookers regardless of manufacturer.)

TRICITY BENDIX Single cavity freestanding cooker, Combined oven/grill, 4 burners, drop down lid, adjustable feet, fitted with full flame failure devices, 910(H) x 500(W) x 536(D), Please Note: This cooker is supplied without a grill pan handle.

But does it make good toast? We await your answer with baited breath (and a knife full of honey)

SG210.jpg

Now this isn't like the model it looks like it as got full FFD's fitted.

Cost is £288.69inc VAT

Tricity Bendix will not carry out warranty work to the unit while it on the boat or officially endorse it for marine use even though it does meet all the requirements. (This is the norm with domestic cookers regardless of manufacturer.)

Thanks Gary - that looks very much like what I'm after. Could I ask where that's from?

Thanks Gary - that looks very much like what I'm after. Could I ask where that's from?

It's from www.canalboatbits.co.uk but it isn't listed on there due to agro we get when some folk read the instruction book and see it says not for marine use.

If you need any more info or want one, you can give Steve a bell on 01924 493844 between 10.15 and 14.15 he will be able to sought you out. That price includes the 10% discount off the RRP that CWF members get.

(I don't know if you are registered for a discount card but I wont let on!)

If any one wants to register for a discount card you can HERE.

I can't promise you will get 10% on every single item (Not my job to decide sorry!) but you can on most of the common stocked stuff.

Edited by Gary Peacock

It's from www.canalboatbits.co.uk but it isn't listed on there due to agro we get when some folk read the instruction book and see it says not for marine use.

If you need any more info or want one, you can give Steve a bell on 01924 493844 between 10.15 and 14.15 he will be able to sought you out. That price includes the 10% discount off the RRP that CWF members get.

(I don't know if you are registered for a discount card but I wont let on!)

If any one wants to register for a discount card you can HERE.

I can't promise you will get 10% on every single item (Not my job to decide sorry!) but you can on most of the common stocked stuff.

Thanks Gary.

can i just ask what i am sure has been done already but i dont know.

do these bendix cookers only need to be installed as they come or do you need to fit anything to make them comply. i know an lpg kit needs to go on but as far as flame failure stuff are they ready to go?

can i just ask what i am sure has been done already but i dont know.

do these bendix cookers only need to be installed as they come or do you need to fit anything to make them comply. i know an lpg kit needs to go on but as far as flame failure stuff are they ready to go?

No they are straight fit obviously you need to connect it via the method of your choice.