What size tv screen??

Jax48

Featured Posts

We're about to get a flat sreen LCD tv for the boat and I was thinking of getting a 15" screen - but now don't know if it will be big enough - what's everybody else using please??

I've got a 15" screen too (not widescreen) - I think that the price of 19"/20" ones are very good at the moment,

Have a look at these, they are TV's + Monitors if you have a laptop ...

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132112

Samsung SM2032MW 20" LCD TV/Monitor HDTV Ready 1680x1050

£218.99

We're about to get a flat sreen LCD tv for the boat and I was thinking of getting a 15" screen - but now don't know if it will be big enough - what's everybody else using please??

I have a 17" LCD screen and find that just right at a typical inside-boat viewing distance and is a good tradeoff against not having something too physically large on a boat.

Chris

Depends on how much space you got and how close you sit to the TV screen.

We have a 22-inch but rarely watch it.

I suggest you cut out a piece of cardboard of the same size as the TV you

are considering, with the screen size and aspect marked on it.

If you tape it into the saloon in the anticipated TV position, it will then give you a better idea how it will look

in terms of proportion and distance.

Edited by NB Willawaw

Depends on how much space you got and how close you sit to the TV screen.

We have a 22-inch but rarely watch it.

I suggest you cut out a piece of cardboard of the same size as the TV you

are considering, with the screen size and aspect marked on it.

If you tape it into the saloon in the anticipated TV position, it will then give you a better idea how it will look

in terms of proportion and distance.

Then nail a bag of sh1t from a towpathside tree to it and you have the same effect as tv but without the cost!

Just afore ye go, if buying a TV go for a 'widescreen'.

Sizing although similar you will need a 17'' wide to be equal to a 15'' 'normal'.

See if you have a friend that could lend you one, to see how it looks.

Just afore ye go, if buying a TV go for a 'widescreen'.

Sizing although similar you will need a 17'' wide to be equal to a 15'' 'normal'.

That's what we have on 'Alnwick' - watching 'Oliver Twist' on it right now - perfect!

26 inch all singing........... but regret buying it 'cos it drains the batteries, try this site I've just been looking at,

http://www.boatshare.co.uk/12volt/

Is there any advantage to buying a 12 volt TV, rather than a [cheaper] 240 volt TV and running it through the inverter? My inverter is 1800 watts.

No. Get the 240v one and buy yourself some beer with the money you've saved.

Allan

I concur. My semi-sinewave inverter runs my TV without any lines on the screen. A dedicated 12v TV would proabably be a bit more energy efficient because the inverter uses just under an amp just by being switched on, but you're very limited in models of 12v TVs and they're very expensive for what they are.

If you want to check that your inverter can run the TV you're interested in, go to a big Tescos and see if they have it there. If you're not satisfied with the picture you can always take it back within 28 days for a refund.

Is there any advantage to buying a 12 volt TV, rather than a [cheaper] 240 volt TV and running it through the inverter? My inverter is 1800 watts.

OR, find an LCD TV that uses a 12v adaptor to power it, we have an Evesham 15.4" LCD TV/monitor which came with an adaptor, so it can be used as a direct 12v or off the mains.