Water can - can anyone help as to possible painter, or origin?

Featured Posts

We had this can from Mr Davies of the Junction Boatyard in 1957. It was old then. I do not remember whether he told us where it came from. It may just have been there in the yard. It is heavy - empty it weighs 6 kilos. 

Any ideas as to its possible origin? 

If more photos would help I can add them.

can.jpeg

It seems to me that the paintwork is in good condition, but the varnish has gone dark. If you were to VERY carefully strip the old varnish back you would find that it would really come to life. After that, give it a good polish with carnuba wax, or varnish it with artists picture varnish which would give it some protection, but is designed to be easily removed

4 minutes ago, davidwheeler said:

Here is another couple of shots. Are there plenty of these old cans about? Is it worth trying to keep it in fair order? It is far too heavy to use. We have had newer ones, much lighter and useful in emergencies. 

can2.jpeg

can3.jpeg

two nurser buckbys just like yours sold for £1250 each in 2018 - from a film though 

I’m certain that the painter is Frank Nurser of Braunston. In these modern times, he is regarded as a master of traditional boat decoration, his apprentice Ron Hough carried the tradition in to the pleasure boating age. The work is prized by collectors, I have several examples of his work among mine. The two cans mentioned earlier were painted by him for the film “ Painted Boats” made in the late 1940s, the current owner also owns the boat featured in that film. I would keep it as it is, personally..on the auction market it might raise a sizeable sum…but that’s only money…..I’m not bidding, by the way.

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, dave moore said:

I’m certain that the painter is Frank Nurser of Braunston. In these modern times, he is regarded as a master of traditional boat decoration, his apprentice Ron Hough carried the tradition in to the pleasure boating age. The work is prized by collectors, I have several examples of his work among mine. The two cans mentioned earlier were painted by him for the film “ Painted Boats” made in the late 1940s, the current owner also owns the boat featured in that film. I would keep it as it is, personally..on the auction market it might raise a sizeable sum…but that’s only money…..I’m not bidding, by the way.

Only certain now that Steve Priest has named the painter..?

I'm sure you would have come to that conclusion eventually of course....

Edited by James Owen

There are only two logical options;

1. Leave it exactly as it is.

2. Take Steve Priest's advice and get it professionally 'cleaned' of old varnish, then coated with artists clear varnish.

Its monetary value is only held by the value placed upon it by collectors, and therefore subject to the whims of the market place which can at times be volatile.

Its historic value is also subject to opinion. I am certain that those boaters and painters we now revere, would find it astonishing that a simple artefact for containing water could possibly have an accolade attached to it that matches the Holy Grail! Value it by all means, but use common sense.

Edited by Derek R.
Typo

It would benefit future historians if you could tie a card label to the can and write on it where you obtained the can and when, and that in 2024 Steve Priest and Dave Moore believe it's the work of Frank Nurser. 

In my view, simply the fact that you know it's pre-1957 makes it special !