Boatyard on or near the Caldon Canal

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Shropshire Landlubber said:

Thank you very much - I've also been pointed at Etruria Marina, is this the same place?

No. Stoke Boats are at Longport. Etruria Marina is at Etruria (surprise!). The marina has a slipway, but I've no idea about other facilities.

Just googled and discoverd that they're not the same place, but Stoke Boats looks more like what I might need, thank you Arthur

Thank you Jen

Who would think that there is a place actually called Etruria in England -  Not being local to the area I assumed it was a business name, hence the geographical confusion, it being so close to Stoke on Trent and all that !

1 hour ago, Shropshire Landlubber said:

Just googled and discoverd that they're not the same place, but Stoke Boats looks more like what I might need, thank you Arthur

Thank you Jen

Who would think that there is a place actually called Etruria in England -  Not being local to the area I assumed it was a business name, hence the geographical confusion, it being so close to Stoke on Trent and all that !

Not only that, but:

Etruscan Primary School.jpg

4 hours ago, Shropshire Landlubber said:

You're right. Named by Josiah Wedgwood for his pottery, where some of the designs were based on Etruscan styles. Nearly all gone now. Being beside the new canal was important, as it reduced breakages of finished pots being transported. Wedgwood was one of the leading people behind the building of the T&M canal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etruria_Works

"Stoke-on-Trent" is a relatively modern name for the conglomeration of the six towns of Burslem, Tunstall, Fenton, Hanley, Longton and Stoke -- "The Potteries" -- after they were unwillingly unified into a city in 1910. Etruria was in Hanley.

https://www.thepotteries.org/six_towns/index.htm

https://www.thepotteries.org/six_towns/hanley.htm

Edited by IanD

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

You're right. Named by Josiah Wedgwood for his pottery, where some of the designs were based on Etruscan styles. Nearly all gone now. Being beside the new canal was important, as it reduced breakages of finished pots being transported. Wedgwood was one of the leading people behind the building of the T&M canal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etruria_Works

and I think this little circular building is all that remains of the factories and estate. 

IMG_7313.jpeg.6de88e1e5ed3e52450001e9481850aab.jpeg

Quick Google throws up some images of what it may have looked like

IMG_7314.jpeg.d6a4639880878af0178b2d8b04db9653.jpeg

Samuel Smiles book on Wedgewood is a good read.  

I vaguely remember the story of Wedgewood having his leg cut off at the age of 37(?), he’d put it off for years but eventually accepted it had to come off. 

and didn’t he copy a piece of Etruscan pottery so exactly that it was impossible to tell the difference between the two?

Artists impression of what it looked like. As was said above the Roundhouse still exists although the canal bank is now a lot higher.

263A-1100108280.JPG

The canal bank may be higher but also the ground and the round building have sunk over the years. I can't remember by how much but a guide I was talking to in the Etruria Industrial Museum did tell me and I was amazed by how much. Same for the Etruria Industrial Museum itself - sunken by 1.5 metres (I think) due to mining in the area. You can see bricked up windows in the boiler room that used to be well and truly above ground level.