Replacement key

Featured Posts

Morning all, does anyone know whwere is could pick up the key as shown in the image below? It relates to the lock as found at https://www.aquafax.co.uk/products/ag-rim-lock-with-striker-brass-left-inside-n-76020

I'm trying to avoid paying for. hole new lock. If any of you have the ame lock and would be willing to get a few cut I'd be more than happy to make it worth your while!

Mark

N-76020.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Given the work involved in reverse engineering a key from the lock, it's probably going to be cheaper to get a new lock.

I suspect that the locksmith may just modify the lock so a key blank works.

• Greenie 1

It's not rocket science to make a new key for that type of lock. When I was a child, we inherited a box of assorted mismatched locks and keys, and I managed to modify some of the keys to fit some of the simple locks like the one in the photo, using a hacksaw and files from dad's toolbox.  

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

It's not rocket science to make a new key for that type of lock. When I was a child, we inherited a box of assorted mismatched locks and keys, and I managed to modify some of the keys to fit some of the simple locks like the one in the photo, using a hacksaw and files from dad's toolbox.  

At school I made a key for a small store room that a school group I was involved with used. And then I filed the sides down and converted it to a master key that would open any classroom door in that building!

1 hour ago, Mark R said:

In terms of making a key for the lock I'd not even know which blank to start with?

Now you know why I suggested a locksmith. Your lock may well not be the Aquafax one so you can't go by the look of the lock.

• Greenie 1

I have a similar lock. As Tony says there will be different keys so you’ll need one for your specific lock. According to 2 key cutting places I have tried it is a non-standard blank (and a very good quality lock). They have each managed to modify a standard blank to fit it, but these never feel as smooth as an original key.

I did track down a source of blanks - but not cheap and you’d need this cutting to suit the lock.

https://timage.co.uk/marine/key-blank-for-3476-3484-3797-3448-4062-locks.html

gabble

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

It's a lock. It is supposed to be hard to open without the right key.

The "big red key" issued to Police opens most locks easily.

image.png.6353d97a6a71208e27665f49041fb220.png

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, MtB said:

The "big red key" issued to Police opens most locks easily.

image.png.6353d97a6a71208e27665f49041fb220.png

They are good, being multipurpose.  They not only save turning a key in the lock but also save turning the handle when already unlocked.