GUCCC motor Sagitta

Featured Posts

I am looking to restore some of the paintwork on Sagitta which is currently tied on the Dudley Canal at the Dudley Canal and Tunnel Trust site.  The current livery is the 1930's light blue/ dark blue which I believe is Cambridge Blue and Oxford Blue.  Is this correct?  Anyone translate this to a Pantone or BS colour?

Phil formulated Grand Union Pale Blue, which should be available from Craftmaster. It used to be available from Atex paints in Brierley Hill but they no longer manufacture paints in small quantities. Bear in mind that the original blue will have faded, this might not sit too well with the new paint. I guess my lettering is a bit faded by now, too!

Don't forget the paint used in the first application of Willow Wren livery in the 1950s was decided by someone jumping the bus into Rugby.  A quick visit to Woolworth's supplied the shade of home brand green paint (Winfield?) that introduced Willow Wren to the canal world.  Hardly the most consistent of quality products. 

52 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Don't forget the paint used in the first application of Willow Wren livery in the 1950s was decided by someone jumping the bus into Rugby.  A quick visit to Woolworth's supplied the shade of home brand green paint (Winfield?) that introduced Willow Wren to the canal world.  Hardly the most consistent of quality products. 

Woolworths paint was very consistent and good quality.

On 18/03/2024 at 23:00, matty40s said:

Woolworths paint was very consistent and good quality.

Exactly this! ^^^^^^^^

It was a good paint, and very easy to use.

However the Woolworths that I used to buy from seldom had more than about 3 fairly small cans in any chosen colour.

Painting an entire cabin would usually involve you visiting multiple stores!

44 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Exactly this! ^^^^^^^^

It was a good paint, and very easy to use.

However the Woolworths that I used to buy from seldom had more than about 3 fairly small cans in any chosen colour.

Painting an entire cabin would usually involve you visiting multiple stores!

When I was a child my parents swore by Woolie's paint (Mum  was always the gloss painter). I well remember being sent off to get an extra pint of one colour or another. None of this 1001 shades 😎 

Edited by Slim