Real Ale Finder

Featured Posts

I said to the landlord it was a shame they hadn’t got the Sarah Hughes on,

it’s why I occasionally stop off at his pub. 
Load this app he said and you’ll know when it’s on later in the week.

So I have, first impressions are good. Obviously it relies on a pub signing up to it and keeping everything updated but it looks like plenty of pubs are on to it. 
And so far I haven’t seen any mention of food which is perfect, just beer beer beer beer and more beer 

Are there other apps people are using to check out the canalside pubs for beer?

eta: a link might help

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/real-ale-finder/id1450647388

Edited by beerbeerbeerbeerbeer
  • Greenie 3

Just downloaded the Android version but pretty useless. Out of the 15 or so pubs in Huntingdon that sell real ale only one, Wetherspoons, is listed. Out of about 10 in St. Ives it only lists 2, one of which is a beer shop, not a pub.

From the Apple app store I have Neverspoons - self descriptive :), and Caskfinder

Unlike Pearley I found it very good, listed all my local watering holes with a full list of beers

Edited by Rincewind

37 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

From the Apple app store I have Neverspoons - self descriptive :), and Caskfinder

Unlike Pearley I found it very good, listed all my local watering holes with a full list of beers

Only assume that this area is some sort of black hole. Just tried Caskfinder and doesn't list half the pubs here that are Cask Marque. I'll stick to the Good Beer Guide for now.

48 minutes ago, pearley said:

Just downloaded the Android version but pretty useless. Out of the 15 or so pubs in Huntingdon that sell real ale only one, Wetherspoons, is listed. Out of about 10 in St. Ives it only lists 2, one of which is a beer shop, not a pub.

Star Inn at Penkridge, you ever drink in there?

I only use the CAmra what pub website. When I was a camra member you could score the beer. It is that info which is used to make the Good Beer Guide. You can also send updates to the info if you find mistakes. Don't know if there is an app for it though

12 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I only use the CAmra what pub website. When I was a camra member you could score the beer. It is that info which is used to make the Good Beer Guide. You can also send updates to the info if you find mistakes. Don't know if there is an app for it though

I think its a PWA

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

just loaded the app and I think only members can vote on the beer. 
I Joined camera last year but probably won’t this year. 

I’ve still got all me 50p tokens for woodenspoons. 

Just now, Tonka said:

So it is a website. Why does it need an acronym. It people trying to make themselves look cleverer then they really are

Dunno Tonka,

I think StephenA knows his stuff though, perhaps he can come back and explain the simple obvious difference and why it might matter. 
Fewer words the better for me. 
Under 10 would be perfect. And no words longer than 6 letters. 

2 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Star Inn at Penkridge, you ever drink in there?

In the past but I'm in Huntingdon now on the River Great Ouse on a widebeam so not likely to get there sgain. Whilst there's a pub directly opposite our mooring, it's a generic Greene King with OKish beer and appears on the Caskfinder app. The only pub within easy distance is the Wetherspoons. The Falcon with up to 15 real ales available doesn't appear. The King of The Belgium's which is GBG listed doesn't appear.

Edited by pearley

8 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Whoops,

I got me Huntington mixed with Huntingdon ,

if you’ve an address I can and you all me 50p tokens for your spoons 😃

Is that the one near Godmanchester

1 hour ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Dunno Tonka,

I think StephenA knows his stuff though, perhaps he can come back and explain the simple obvious difference and why it might matter. 
Fewer words the better for me. 
Under 10 would be perfect. And no words longer than 6 letters. 

Progressive Web App -  actually looking at the Camra Site it isn't a PWA.  A PWA is a website that you can basically install on a phone - it's coded to use databases in the browser so it can store working data. The Canalplan Tracking app (application stalled at the moment) is a PWA and that stores chunks of maps, locattion details, tracking details and then syncs with the main site when it was a data connection, 

So for the CAMRA site if it was a PWA then you could search "Worcester" and it would get all the details and store them on the phone, and if you then re-opened the app it would already have all the data stored.

Camra did have an app but due to some changes on Android it started to malfunction and so was withdrawn from the Google app store. I think its still around for apple. 

www.whatpub.com works well, more so if you are a Camra member because you can turn the adverts off and score the beer. It doesn't tell you what beer is on in real time but gives info on what the staple beers are for a particular pub. 

Camra vouchers are accepted in a lot more pubs than just Wetherspoons. I always forget to carry mine.

9 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Camra did have an app but due to some changes on Android it started to malfunction and so was withdrawn from the Google app store. I think its still around for apple. 

www.whatpub.com works well, more so if you are a Camra member because you can turn the adverts off and score the beer. It doesn't tell you what beer is on in real time but gives info on what the staple beers are for a particular pub. 

Camra vouchers are accepted in a lot more pubs than just Wetherspoons. I always forget to carry mine.

WWW.whatpub.com tells you which pubs take the vouchers

22 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I’ve read and reread, sorry still none the wiser,

think he is trying to say it "works offline"

5 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I said to the landlord it was a shame they hadn’t got the Sarah Hughes on,

it’s why I occasionally stop off at his pub. 
Load this app he said and you’ll know when it’s on later in the week.

So I have, first impressions are good. Obviously it relies on a pub signing up to it and keeping everything updated but it looks like plenty of pubs are on to it. 
And so far I haven’t seen any mention of food which is perfect, just beer beer beer beer and more beer 

Are there other apps people are using to check out the canalside pubs for beer?

eta: a link might help

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/real-ale-finder/id1450647388

Sarah Hughes takes me back to when I was teaching near Sedgley & lived in Woodsetton.

• Greenie 1