Don`t let it happen to you

valrene9600

Featured Posts

I just want to warn others of what happened to me the other evening. My Carbon Monoxide alarm suddenly went off and after throwing open the doors and shutting off the alarm i started looking for the cause. First i went outside and pushed the brush down the chimney all ok here, next i checked the joint where the chimney entered the stove fine. Now i`m getting puzzled and then i noticed the door glass had a crack in it. This was not noticable straight off as the glass was dirty and a bit crazed.

So please everyone fit an alarm and make a point of keeping a lookout for glass cracks. I feel very confident that the alarm sensed what must have been a very small escape of a deadly gas.

I just want to warn others of what happened to me the other evening. My Carbon Monoxide alarm suddenly went off and after throwing open the doors and shutting off the alarm i started looking for the cause. First i went outside and pushed the brush down the chimney all ok here, next i checked the joint where the chimney entered the stove fine. Now i`m getting puzzled and then i noticed the door glass had a crack in it. This was not noticable straight off as the glass was dirty and a bit crazed.

So please everyone fit an alarm and make a point of keeping a lookout for glass cracks. I feel very confident that the alarm sensed what must have been a very small escape of a deadly gas.

A lucky escape brought about by your good sense to fit a CO alarm. I still can't believe that people will spend many thousands on a boat, and yet won't spend 30 quid (or less) on alarms.

Can anyone recommend a good battery operated Carbon Monoxide alarm which is stocked at major DIY outlets?

Steve

I have a Kidde nighthawk bought from B & Q. It has a digital number display and it sits on the wall opposite my chair. I have great fun watching the numbers go up and down. It has gone off twice and we were completely unaware that anything was amiss.

Sue

BSS wasn't designed for live aboard boats. The regs for these should be the same as for Hire Boats.

Do hire companies fit smoke and co, or just smoke alarms? You would of thought they would want to fit them anyway, regs or not. "Canal Boat hirer dies of CO poisoning" isn't the best advert in the world.

I have a Kidde nighthawk bought from B & Q. It has a digital number display and it sits on the wall opposite my chair. I have great fun watching the numbers go up and down. It has gone off twice and we were completely unaware that anything was amiss.

Sue

Sue

Do you know why it went off?

Like my experience has anyone any other causes for a Car` M`xide to have gone off. It might draw boaters attention to checking their stoves or Alde C/Heating etc.

If the CO alarm went off because the stove door glass had a small crack it surprises me, since most stove doors do not have a gas tight seal against the stove body anyway.

Just a thought.

There weren't any other appliances on at the time such as a generator outside or a gas water heater I suppose?

Edited by blackrose

Many moons ago I used to have a CO alarm.

It went off when nothing was on, no stove, no heating, no pilot light, nothing.

So I took it back and had it replaced.

Still the same middle of the night off it would go.

in the end it went in the bin never to be replaced.

I have no idea what made it go off, unless it was something to do with flatulence.

Now just smoke alarms here.

Julian

If the CO alarm went off because the stove door glass had a small crack it surprises me, since most stove doors do not have a gas tight seal against the stove body anyway.

Just a thought.

There weren't any other appliances on at the time such as a generator outside or a gas water heater I suppose?

Sudden downdraft pushing stuff back down the chimney? It's the only thing I can think of.

General rule of thumb for all, make sure you always have adequate ventilation and never block up any vents. Anyhow well done for actually having a Carbon Monoxide detector :-)

D

Could you be looking at this the wrong way? Could it be a case of lack of ventilation, rather than leaking appliances. Or is it the wind has blown back down the chimney causing fumes to enter the boat.

CO is often present. Stand by a petrol car, or engine running outside for a long time, and you may? suffer a slight headache. Stand inside a small building for a long time with the same petrol engine running and you could possibly die.

Sue

Do you know why it went off?

Like my experience has anyone any other causes for a Car` M`xide to have gone off. It might draw boaters attention to checking their stoves or Alde C/Heating etc.

Yes a fall of soot had blocked the chimney. We find that if the fire is lit after being out for some days we sometimes get a fall of soot although we have swept the chimney. We have a rayburn which we stoke up with wood, coal, husbands socks etc.

Sue

Not sure of your circumstances but if the flue and exits are clear then the glass wouldnt make a hapenth of difference......however......Blue String Pudding and myself had an almost exact replica incident one night.....our CO alarms went off and we found nothing that was obviously faulty.......untill we looked under the cratch cover and both realised that our Ash bin was sitting outside under cover with its CO fumes being drawn into the boat through the air vents.......As from now My Ash bin always sits in the open air on the rear deck or the bank and so far no more CO alarm.....only Smoke alarm when making toast :wacko:

Edited by saltysplash

The rope type seal on my stove door surely is a good seal isn`t it?

Well, I'm not sure that the rope seal on my stove doors is particularly good, but I think that any gas (air) is drawn into the stove through any tiny gaps rather than the other way around. I have a Vedetta cowl on the chimney to prevent downdraughts and it works very well.

Of course we should all have CO detectors on our boats but these should really be used as the last line of defence and we should not allow them to make us complacent in maintaining our fuel burning appliances.

Well, I'm not sure that the rope seal on my stove doors is particularly good, but I think that any gas (air) is drawn into the stove through any tiny gaps rather than the other way around. I have a Vedetta cowl on the chimney to prevent downdraughts and it works very well.

Of course we should all have CO detectors on our boats but these should really be used as the last line of defence and we should not allow them to make us complacent in maintaining our fuel burning appliances.

Well said blackie

exactlly the point i was making with the cracked glass. with a good drawing flue/chimney air will be drawn i rather than fed out unless there is an air supply problem

Many moons ago I used to have a CO alarm.

It went off when nothing was on, no stove, no heating, no pilot light, nothing.

So I took it back and had it replaced.

Still the same middle of the night off it would go.

in the end it went in the bin never to be replaced.

I have no idea what made it go off, unless it was something to do with flatulence.

Now just smoke alarms here.

Can you remember what make and model it was?

Do you still have 'open flame' appliances?

If so have you tried a Kidde one with the display?

cheers,

Pete.

We have the Fire Angel one with the display.

I like gadgetry anyway, but quite like to see what is going on i.e. building levels

of Carbon Monoxide.

We test it occasionally with incense sticks. If you blow the smoke into the grille, you can see

the parts-per-million display climbing until it alarms.

Its also useful for early signs of <safe> low levels as well.

Had it a few months and no false alarms.

Can you remember what make and model it was?

Do you still have 'open flame' appliances?

If so have you tried a Kidde one with the display?

Cant remember what make, it was about seven years ago.

Depends on how you define open flame!

Kabola old dutch

Sigmarine model 100

Gas cooker

and a Mikuni in the engine room

Having said that all the items are serviced to spec and we always have a roof vent open in the bedroom even when the outside temp is below freezing.

A lot of CO problems are caused by bad/blocked ventilation, bad/no maintainance not something we suffer from.

And finally no I havent tried a kidde one

Julian

Hi all,

We purchased a Kidde Carbon Monoxide Detector Kidde 900-0146-UK it has a LCD Digital Display, so far, the highest reading has been 10, that was when both grill, oven, 2 gas rings and squirrel were all going. We bought it brand new in box, for less than £15.00 from e-bay. For peace of mind alone, it is worth every penny.

Rob