Wow, living on the canal never been more attractive.

Featured Posts

sorry, I can’t paste the article in…too many adverts but now living aboard the Regents Canal finally matches London average house price. Because after all living in a boat is exactly the same as a house isn’t it? Especially when it can only be used as a second home…

https://metro.co.uk/2024/01/14/a-london-houseboat-gone-market-600-000-20111708/

Edited by nealeST
Tried to alter the type size?

21 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

If I lived in London and had that much money to spend, I’d buy a remote place in Northumberland for a third of the price and never go to back to London again.

I went to England for the first time in 2 years last week for a few days. I ain't going again in a hurry. Saw one of grandsons tiny over priced terraced house in Hampshire and braved the traffic. Very pleased to get back to my much cheaper detached house in beautiful west Wales.

• Haha 1

Here's the Rightmove advert: 2 bedroom house boat for sale in The Mothership, NW1 (rightmove.co.uk)

Given the location and transferrable private mooring (albeit with mooring fees of £12,990 per year), the price tag isn't particularly surprising. This is more a reflection of what a well-presented, novel and interesting property can fetch in central London; near Primrose Hill, in Camden Town, on the edge of Regent's Park... it's a highly desirable (and costly) location.

1 hour ago, Ewan123 said:

Here's the Rightmove advert: 2 bedroom house boat for sale in The Mothership, NW1 (rightmove.co.uk)

Given the location and transferrable private mooring (albeit with mooring fees of £12,990 per year), the price tag isn't particularly surprising. This is more a reflection of what a well-presented, novel and interesting property can fetch in central London; near Primrose Hill, in Camden Town, on the edge of Regent's Park... it's a highly desirable (and costly) location.

If I understand the blurb correctly, it can't be used as a full-time primary residence.

And it's a houseboat -- no propulsion, can't go anywhere -- but it's narrow (and on a big basin on a wide canal). Makes no sense, if you're never going to move it (no engine!) surely a wideboat would be far better for living on?

It's all about location, location, location -- dead handy for events at Cecil Sharp House, though I somehow doubt a buyer with £600k to spare for a second home is likely to be a folkie... 😉

Edited by IanD

5 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Only 21 miles to the nearest station...I think most of those who choose to live near civilisation do so for work reasons (like myself), it makes the commute a little longer, being in a remote town!

Those narrow "houseboat" things in Regents park are awful. No privacy whatsoever because the windows are far too large. Yes I know the light is nice but those things are truly dreadful. Horrid but then I like Boats. 

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

Those narrow "houseboat" things in Regents park are awful. No privacy whatsoever because the windows are far too large. Yes I know the light is nice but those things are truly dreadful. Horrid but then I like Boats. 

Handy for the Chinese Restaurant though.🙂

• Greenie 1