Where am I, internationally?

Featured Posts

On 17/02/2024 at 09:29, Pluto said:

This is another little-known European canal project. The photo shows the remains of the beginning of a cutting for a canal excavated in 1608. There is a railway embankment crossing it in the background. It was the second attempt at building this canal, the first one dating from the 1550s. The canal was finally constructed inn the 1840s, rebuilt in the 1960s, and is still in use today.

excavation of 1608.jpg

This is the Pontus excavation near to Lappeenranta in Finland. There were a number of schemes to link the lakes and the Baltic by a navigable waterway. This was the best route, and the Saimaa Canal finally joined the lake system to Vyborg, now in Russia, in the late 1840s. I have attached a photo of one of the three rise locks, this one almost next to the small canal museum at Lappeenranta.I have also attached a translation of a Finnish description of the Pontus excavation, which was undertaken at the same time as the first canal and lock was built in Sweden.

1995 Saimaa Canal, 3-rise lock 217.jpg

Pontus excavation.pdf

35 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Tokyo, circa 1880

Thank you - I'm not at all familiar with Japan and had no idea Tokyo had waterways like that. I'm aware there were a few canals elsewhere (ISTR Kyoto had one) 

Now one from me - I have seen this but it isn't my picture, I've nabbed it from the web. 

DSC05636.jpg

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, Pluto said:

My first trip was  in 1995, and I have been back several times since.

1995 Elblag 001.jpg

That might even be the same boat I was on.

7 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Elblag Canal, Poland,

where there are 5 ! inclined planes,

Yep, all driven by the water itself.

46 minutes ago, Davids said:

and helped with the weight of a boat going down pulling the other up,

apparently

Ive just realised what the blue wheel is for at the bottom!

Great stuff, love it. 

Edited by beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

No multi-lingual notices in the mid-1990s, and a Polish attitude to H&S - you could wander around anywhere, such as into the waterwheel house. On one visit to Poland, working with industrial archaeology students from Wroclaw, we went into an old gold mine, with access via a flooded entrance. They simply asked the local fire brigade to pump out the water. From the entrance, the tunnel went up hill slightly, so not flooded, though the mine then followed a seam downwards. The water here was crystal clear, and you could see the wooden props between the two sides disappearing into the darkness. The industrial archaeology course was at Wroclaw Polytechnic, and they had a museum based around a river Oder steam tug, built in Holland after the war. The River Authority were very helpful, and I stayed aboard their inspection boat on several occasions.

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, Davids said:

I think that was common generally - even originally with the Anderton Lift - certainly also o the Bude Canal and, I think, Foxton.